Your Email Address:

First Name:

search for new Halitosis treatment

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
KL
Junior

search for new Halitosis treatment

Post by KL »

Please try to find out the work done by Dr. Wenyuan Shi, From University of California Los Angeles,

in October 2006 there is a paper on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, HealthDay News. It indicates a new treatment was found and destroys the bacteria that cause thee BB. This is thebacteria oral Streptococcus mutants. It called a little bomb that destroy them. The treatment is called STAMP (targeted antimicrobial peptides )

KL
Junior

Post by KL »

FYI

Targeted killing of Streptococcus mutans by a pheromone guided "smart" antimicrobial peptide

Within the repertoire of antibiotics available to a prescribing clinician, the majority affect a broad range of microorganisms, including the normal flora. The ecological disruption resulting from antibiotic treatment frequently results in secondary infections or other negative clinical consequences. To address this problem, our laboratory has recently developed a new class of pathogen-selective molecules, called specifically targeted antimicrobial peptides (STAMPs), based on the fusion of a species-specific targeting peptide domain with a wide spectrum antimicrobial peptide domain. In the current study, we focused on achieving targeted killing of Streptococcus mutans, a cavity-causing bacterium that resides in a multi-species microbial community (dental plaque). In particular, we explored the possibility of utilizing a pheromone produced by S. mutans, competence stimulating peptide (CSP), as a STAMP targeting domain to mediate S. mutans-specific delivery of an antimicrobial peptide domain. We discovered that STAMPs constructed with peptides derived from CSP were potent against S. mutans grown in liquid or biofilm states, but did not affect other oral streptococci tested. Further studies showed that an 8 amino acid region within the CSP sequence is sufficient for targeted delivery of the antimicrobial peptide domain to S. mutans. The STAMPs presented here are capable of eliminating S. mutans from multi-species biofilms, without affecting closely-related non-cariogenic oral streptococci, indicating the potential of these molecules to be developed into "probiotic" antibiotics which could selectively eliminate pathogens while preserving the protective benefits of a healthy normal flora
KL
Junior

Post by KL »

UCLA School of Dentistry Researchers Prepare to STAMP Out Pathogens With Smart Bomb Antimicrobial Technology

Researchers from the UCLA School of Dentistry report they are the first to synthesize chemically a new antimicrobial composition that efficiently eradicates harmful bacteria while leaving helpful bacteria undisturbed. Their research is presented in the April issue of Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy.

The human body is home to millions of different bacteria, some of which cause disease, but many of which are vital for optimal health. Meanwhile, the majority of antimicrobial compounds in clinical use are broad-spectrum antibiotics. While these antibiotics have the advantage that they can be effective against bacterial infections without precise diagnosis, a negative aspect of their use is that they also kill benign and beneficial bacteria. Overuse of broad-spectrum antibiotics can seriously disrupt the body's normal ecological balance, rendering humans more susceptible to bacterial, yeast and parasitic infections.

In addition, according to the Centers for Disease Control, half of the more than 100 million antibiotic prescriptions filled annually are unnecessary and, as a result, in many cases microbes have adapted and are resistant to antibiotics due to constant exposure and improper use of the drugs. It is estimated that the annual cost of treating drug-resistant infections in the United States is approximately $5 billion. The continued emergence of antimicrobial‑resistant bacteria, fungi, yeast and parasites has encouraged efforts to develop other agents capable of killing pathogenic microbes.

The new composition developed at UCLA belongs to a new class of peptides known by the acronym STAMP, or Specifically Targeted Anti-Microbial Peptide. Representing a major step forward in antimicrobial treatment, a STAMP combines a targeting peptide with an antimicrobial peptide to first recognize a target microbial organism and then unleash an antimicrobial effect on that organism.

Recently, there have been a number of reports on the use of fusion proteins for treating disease. For example, malignant disease can be treated using a genetically engineered protein construct including an immunological component that binds specifically to tumor cells and a cytokine capable of eliciting significant anti-tumor activity. However, until now there have been few reports of directing antimicrobial agents to infected regions of humans or animals using target-specific molecules.

UCLA researchers used a peptide synthesis machine to create a 36-amino-acid peptide that exhibited strong antimicrobial activity as well as selectivity against a single-target bacterium. Focusing their attention on Pseudomonas, an opportunistic human pathogen that targets immuno-compromised individuals and can cause urinary tract infections, sepsis, pneumonia, pharyngitis and increased mortality, scientists fused a Pseudomonas-specific targeting moiety (KH) to a general killing peptide (novispirin G10). The resulting peptide, G10KHc, selectively eliminated Pseudomonas from mixed cultures and showed enhanced antibacterial activity and faster and longer-lasting killing action against Pseudomonas compared to G10 alone.

"This work lays a foundation for generating additional target-specific 'smart' antimicrobials as an alternative to currently available conventional antibiotics," said Dr. Wenyuan Shi, professor and chair of the section of oral biology at the UCLA School of Dentistry.

Where broad-spectrum killing or general mechanical removal disrupts the normal flora, possibly leading to post-treatment complications or recolonization by the pathogen, target‑specific peptides like the one developed at UCLA produce no collateral damage and are expected to be especially suitable for infections of the mucous membranes including the mouth, vagina, gastrointestinal tract, esophageal tract and respiratory tract.

Shi suggests that in the future, based on this research, STAMPs could be generated against any undesired bacterium or group of bacteria, a particularly appealing concept as some chronic infections are caused by multiple microorganisms rather than a single species. Further, an exceptionally resilient species could be targeted with a combination of antimicrobial peptides present on one STAMP molecule.

"The work performed in Dr. Shi's laboratory will help transform the concept of targeted antimicrobial therapy into a reality. We are proud that UCLA will become known as the birthplace of this significant treatment innovation," said Dr. No-Hee Park, dean of the UCLA School of Dentistry.

Antimicrobial treatment using STAMP technology is expected to be available for clinical use in five to seven years.

"We are excited about the commercial potential of STAMP technology and are seeking worldwide patent coverage for this groundbreaking discovery," said Emily Loughran, director of licensing for UCLA's Office of Intellectual Property Administration.

The G10KHc research project was supported by grants from the National Institutes of Health, Washington Dental Service and C3/Biostar.

Other authors of the paper include Randal Eckert, Fengxia Qi, Daniel K. Yarbrough, Jian He and Maxwell H. Anderson.
Jimi Stein
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by Jimi Stein »

I gave him a call but he was not in the office.
austuser
Sheriff

Post by austuser »

KL wrote: Where broad-spectrum killing or general mechanical removal disrupts the normal flora, possibly leading to post-treatment complications or recolonization by the pathogen, target‑specific peptides like the one developed at UCLA produce no collateral damage and are expected to be especially suitable for infections of the mucous membranes including the mouth
this is exactly what we need. How exciting
waitingforrelief
Sheriff

Post by waitingforrelief »

yes, this is exciting news. hope a solution will come out of it...

and jimi, thanks for making that call, along with building this site, which i never got around to tell you. it has made me feel so much better posting on here. :)
thanatos
God
Post by thanatos »

Here's a quote:

“We’re also developing other dental STAMPs that target the specific oral microbes involved in periodontal disease and possibly even halitosis. Thereafter, we hope to pursue possible medical applications of this technology." said Wenyuan Shi, Ph.D

"Possibly" even halitosis. Sounds to me like they'll create a versionfor halitosis, regardles of whether or not it works. Oragenics is also doing the same.

It seems these doctors aren't trying to create anything specific to halitosis treatment. With BLIS, it was to prevent strep-throat, then it suddenly became a gut-bacteria replacement and halitosis treatment. Oragenics started out with genetically modified bacteria to prevent dental caries to stop cavities from forming but then it became a possible treatment for halitosis as well.

It's all the same old stuff. I predicted a while back that the market will go through a long episode of these probiotic money-making products that will do little, but will later pave the way for reasearch into a cure.

I'm quite positive that the cure will come in the form of genetically modified gram-negative bacteria, that don't produce offensive gases, that will have greater adhesion to mucosal surfaces than natural bacteria. Continuously killing off the bad breath bacteria via conventional means is impossible because it is so dominating in our mouths.

I believe the key is to either 1.) Alter the mucosal cells in our mouths so they become conductive to good breath bacteria, or2.) genetically modify bad breath bacteria and reintroduce them into bad breath mouths where they will dominate. The former is virtually impossible in the present day and the latter is decades away at least. First, we have to go through a decade or two of these probiotic treatments that most likely will not work except in putting money in the pockets of those willing to exploit our suffering & rape science with prop "studies".

I just get sick thinking about this already. I just want someone way up in the field to tell us the truth.
Larc400
God

Post by Larc400 »

in the future, based on this research, STAMPs could be generated against any undesired bacterium or group of bacteria, a particularly appealing concept as some chronic infections are caused by multiple microorganisms rather than a single species.
Out of all the prospects mentioned on this site, it seems to me this STAMP theory sounds most promising. I'm thinking of taking a normal antibiotic, but as we all know it will not work permanently, and can cause harm as it affects bacteria in the entire body. This future STAMP thing is supposed to be able to target just one place though, so maybe that can be taken all the time without risk? Let's find out more, folks 8)
HappyDays
Advanced

Post by HappyDays »

Larc, this seems to focus on oral halitosis, is that correct?

WIll this do anything for those who have halitosis not caused by the mouth?

This is very interesting...wonder if they can target any area in the body. :-k
VICKSTER
Advanced

Post by VICKSTER »

Hi Jimi, I am new to this site, thanks for putting ti together. It has helped me to know others have the same experience. But... when ever I reply or Post a message it seems to get deleted..... I can never find them. Perhaps it is my computer skills and I am doing something wrong as I have limited use of a site like this. Please advise. Thank you.
Jimi Stein
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by Jimi Stein »

Well not sur what is happening. Porbably you are not posting correctly, because I had never a complaint from other people that their posts were deleted.
nonsak

contact

Post by nonsak »

These are the researchers I've emailed for help. They've all written articles regarding their research on chronic halitosis......I guess because it was just me, they didnt see the importance or urgency.......

[email protected] Dr. Maxwell Anderson
[email protected] Dr. Paster
[email protected] <[email protected]>
[email protected] <[email protected]>
sweets07
Advanced

Post by sweets07 »

thanatos wrote:Here's a quote:

I'm quite positive that the cure will come in the form of genetically modified gram-negative bacteria, that don't produce offensive gases, that will have greater adhesion to mucosal surfaces than natural bacteria. Continuously killing off the bad breath bacteria via conventional means is impossible because it is so dominating in our mouths.

I believe the key is to either 1.) Alter the mucosal cells in our mouths so they become conductive to good breath bacteria, or2.) genetically modify bad breath bacteria and reintroduce them into bad breath mouths where they will dominate. The former is virtually impossible in the present day and the latter is decades away at least. First, we have to go through a decade or two of these probiotic treatments that most likely will not work except in putting money in the pockets of those willing to exploit our suffering & rape science with prop "studies".

I just get sick thinking about this already. I just want someone way up in the field to tell us the truth.

this whole thing is tricky tho, because bacteria exchange genes with one other to become stronger. so it is possible that the bb are so strong they'll persist be exchanging their genes with the "good bacteria" and continue to take over. i think this is mostly a consequent of immune cell dysfunction.... there are cells that specifically ingest bacteria to keep levels at a healthy minimum. there are so many studies that demonstrate how dysfunctional immune cells can lead to overgrowth of opportunistic anaerobic bacteria. but actually figuring out what's not working properly... wow, that'll take a NIH grant proposal specificly on this topic to tackle.... maybe a mouse model of bb.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic