THE BAD BREATH COMMUNITY

A little more connection.
A little less alone.

Real experiences. Open conversations. A place to feel understood.

Bad Breath ebook. Top solutions from the owner of badbreathhalitosis.com for your bad breath.THE BAD BREATH EBOOK Discover the ebook ↗
POWERED BY PEOPLE LIKE YOU

Keep the conversation going.

Your donation helps cover hosting and keep this community available.

Donate to the forum ♡

ANTIBACTERIALS VS NO ANTIBACTERIALS

Tell us your story with bad breath
Snobuni
Sheriff
Posts: 381
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:53 am

ANTIBACTERIALS VS NO ANTIBACTERIALS

Post by Snobuni »

I was wondering what pecentage of people on this forum still use antibacterial mouthwashes, toothpastes etc?

I don't think I've had a day without some sort of antibacterial product for about twenty years. But I had an ENT appointment on Tuesday so I thought I'd make sure my breath would be terrible and stopped all my rinses and nasal sprays and just gently scrapped my tongue, flossed and brushed with biotene for 3 days before. I also ate everything bad for my breath (fish, cheese, milk, sweets, bread), I really went to town!!!

Strangely enough, my breath seemed to improve!! No matter what I ate!!! By the time my appointment came around my breath was the best it had been for a while, even though my tongue was still quite coated. Strange!!! :-k

The ENT said my mouth was VERY dry, and that I should stop all antibacterials as they just dry the mouth and upset the bacterial balance (I don't use any with alcohol, but they still seem quite drying).

So, as of today, I'm going cold turkey from my antibacterials for a couple of weeks, I'm also going to concentrate on improving the saliva flow in my mouth and see how that goes...

Does anybody else find that antibacterials make their bb worse instead of better?
User avatar
Archimonde
Super Angel
Posts: 878
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:14 pm

Post by Archimonde »

Same here Sno, i've stopped taking those products years ago, they did nothing for me except dried my mouth. Same with chewing gums, it worsen my breath after about 10 minutes of chewing, especially in the throat area, it felt much worse there when chewing gums. Occasionnaly, i use baking soda but that helps psychologicaly more than anything. Really, the *only* thing that helps is a clean diet for me.
User avatar
DRASTIC
Sheriff
Posts: 431
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:35 am

Post by DRASTIC »

Snobuni and Archimonde,

You are so right. I use antibacterial mouthwash without any alcohol and it dries my mouth within 30 sections of using it. I swish then gargle for 30 seconds and within that time I could feel gum tissue being stripped off my mouth and it feels like it stripping away tisue/flesh.

I am thinking of diluting the antibacterial mouthwash with water. Half mouthwash half water. When I do that my mouth feels so much better.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
Bad Breath ebook. Top solutions from the owner of badbreathhalitosis.com for your bad breath.Discover the Bad Breath ebook Explore the ebook ↗
A LITTLE SUPPORT IN YOUR INBOX

Let’s stay
connected.

Sign up for free bad breath tips by email.

ADVERTISING OPPORTUNITIES

Your banner. Right here.

Introduce your brand to the Bad Breath Halitosis community.

Advertise here ↗