THE BAD BREATH COMMUNITY

A little more connection.
A little less alone.

Real experiences. Open conversations. A place to feel understood.

Bad Breath ebook. Top solutions from the owner of badbreathhalitosis.com for your bad breath.THE BAD BREATH EBOOK Discover the ebook ↗
POWERED BY PEOPLE LIKE YOU

Keep the conversation going.

Your donation helps cover hosting and keep this community available.

Donate to the forum ♡

BB and diseases of the body

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
halihope
Master
Posts: 246
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:30 pm

Post by halihope »

HI DRASTIC
I am glad you test show you are fine but I have a question? Why did you test for thyroid??

Ever since I started with this bb, losing first transplanted kidney, I begun having problems with my parathyroid which are two tiny glands under the thyroid glands. I am still dealing with it and taking calcitriol and so far the number is coming down but still too high.
baguio
Advanced
Posts: 161
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:02 pm

Post by baguio »

halihope wrote:HI DRASTIC
Why did you test for thyroid??
Google 'thyroid' + 'halitosis' - and you will see that there is some info out there regarding a connection between the two.
User avatar
DRASTIC
Sheriff
Posts: 431
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:35 am

Post by DRASTIC »

Hi baguio,

I tested for thyroid because my Mum, aunt, and grandaunt by my Mum's side of the family have thyroid problems.- either hyperthyroid or hypothyroid. So, because of the strong connection I had to do the test to rule it out for health reasons.

Baguio. you are correct about the connection because hormonal imbalance in the body can lead to halitosis.

Drastic
User avatar
DRASTIC
Sheriff
Posts: 431
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:35 am

Post by DRASTIC »

Hi all,

I finally registered with a new NHS GP.

I saw the nurse who checked blood pressure, height and weight as if that is going to help me.

So, I laid it on thick really thick about being ill with the sinus drainage in the back of my throat in the mornings. Now that i think of it it is true. True I do have sinus drainage in back of my throa mornings thougt. So the nurse said that the doctor could give me some antibiotics.

Second thing, I told her about my indigestion, diarrhea/constipation problems, stomach gurgling, gnawing feeling in my stomach, wind etc. She said that it could be h. pylori.

All without mentioning bad breath. She deduced it could eiher be sinus or stomach h. pylori.

She then went on to tell me about a friend of hers who is a speech therapist and who had really bad breath so much so she would be at the dentist every month for deep cleaning. But her friend also had gurgling stomach cramps, indigestion etc. Her friend took the test and it came back positive for h. pylori. She said her friend got antiobiotic treatment for the h. pylori and got cured.

So, Halitosisux. You are so right. This h. pylori is a recognised problem causng bad breath in some people. Yet my old GP practice the lady refused to do any unnecessary test as she call it. WHAT A F*****K B****H.

So slow progress, next step is getting an appointment to see GP. Now that I just registered I hope to see the doctor. They said call them up tomorrow.

I am going to lay it on thick when I call tomorrow like diarrhea and vomiting stuff. If they refuse I will add that I fainted earlier in the morning. Anything to get a much earlier appointment.

so, if that dont work I will have to wait until next week to see doctor.

Well I am close. Next step is to do the test.

Anyways, that' my adventure for the day.

its best to get tested to rule out anything. That way you can atleast know its nothing that will kill you like a disease or so. But still this BB is a disease in iself.

Drastic
iva
Master
Posts: 295
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:26 pm

Post by iva »

Hi, Drastic

I just want to tell u that I do the h.p. test every 4-5 months and I test positive, but the levels are low, so l haven`t taken antibiotics for that lately. Anyway, its VERY DIFFICULT to eradicate h.p. and its not related to BB (at least in my case)
User avatar
DRASTIC
Sheriff
Posts: 431
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:35 am

Post by DRASTIC »

Hi Iva,

some people do not develop bad breath even though they have h. pylori.

But some who have h. pylori develop bad breath. So, get tested.


Yes, iva iut is difficult to eradicate h. pylori beacuse it is resistant to some antibiotics. Some people also do not take all the medication as prescribed which makes it difficult to cure.

iva, if you do the test so often and test positive why dont you consider going to doctor for GP treatment.

iva, how long were you given antibiotic treatment for in tthe past? a week, 2 weeks?


Why dont you consider treating it to get rid of it. maybe try a new antibiotic different from the one you had before.

Drastic
baguio
Advanced
Posts: 161
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:02 pm

Post by baguio »

I vaguely remember this coming up before - that there are more than one type of pylori test. Which is the most comprehensive?
User avatar
DRASTIC
Sheriff
Posts: 431
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:35 am

Post by DRASTIC »

Baguio,

You can test for h. pylori by

Breath test
blood test
stool
biopsy during endoscopy

Apparently, some doctors say biopsy with endoscopy and breath test seem to be the best. But for less invasive test I would go for blood test, stool, or breath.

I hope my doctor does the stool test.

Drastic
iva
Master
Posts: 295
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:26 pm

Post by iva »

Hi, Drastic

I have been given two different combinations of 2 antibiotics + PPI and I am pretty sure my h.p is resistant to them. Maybe Is hould try smth. else and I am planning to get tested soon again. The antibiotic therapy lasted a week both times and of course, bb decreased during that time and afterwards it came back. I have also taken Metronidazole with no effect on BB; the combination Metronidazole+Spiramycin which is used to treat h.p. infections has better effect on BB, again temporarily
User avatar
DRASTIC
Sheriff
Posts: 431
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:35 am

Post by DRASTIC »

iva,

2 weeks of antibiotic treatment maybe better.

I have also been given antibiotic in the past but only for as long as 5 days. That never did anything it was for sinus infection. Never touched the sinus.

Drastic
halitosisux
Moderator
Posts: 3266
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm

Post by halitosisux »

Hi,
I've not had a chance to come on all day.. there's a few points i'd like to make..
Firstly, to do with thyroid problems, i think the most likely connection between this and BB is the dry mouth which is a classic symptom in thyroid disorders, and this is a very important factor in all oral BB cases.

ANYONE with CH has to rule out h.pylori in light of all the reported evidence. My doctor put me straight on triple-therapy without even testing me for HP. As long as there is no antibiotic resistance the eradication rate is very high. H.pylori can be present with or without the symptoms of gastritis, please take note. Also, for those with symptoms of gastritis, the gasses alone from the acid and the general gastritis in those infected with HP can "irritate" the mucous membranes of the throat and nasal passages and allow high levels of PND and even cause sinusitis, this is known as LPR.

Usually, where HP is difficult to eradicate due to antibiotic resistance, quadrouple therapy usually resolves this. IVA, even if you were found to be resistant to all antibiotic treatments, there is a procedure whereby an endoscope is inserted and a balloon type device is used to seal off the stomach, antibacterial fluids are then passed into the stomach which then kill off the HP. From what i understand this is the 100% guaranteed way of eradicating it - also this approach means that that there is no need to take any antibiotics, for anyone worried about their effects.

IVA how can you say its not related to BB? It has been proven to be! You are even infected with it!!
The fact is, not everyone with H.pylori suffers with BB as a symptom, but for those at their wits-end, the facts cannot be ignored and it has to be worth finding out.

The blood test for this infection, like many infections, tests for the presense of antibodies. If done correctly, its very accurate. The problem with the blood test is that antibodies may remain in the bloodstream for years after eradication, and the confusions this can cause are obvious. Normally the level of antibodies reduces once infection is eradicated, and the rate of reduction can be used as an indication of successful eradication. The most reliable method is a biopsy taken from the stomach-lining during an endoscopy. Also a UREA breath-test is just as accurate. Do some research, there's heaps of info out there.

IVA, HP and many other bacteria easily become resistant to metronidazole. There are many alternative therapies in such circumstances. Any short courses of antibiotics for other infections in the body may inadvertantly be allowing HP to form this resistance.
halitosisux
Moderator
Posts: 3266
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm

Post by halitosisux »

iva,

Please explain what you mean from this..

"I just want to tell u that I do the h.p. test every 4-5 months and I test positive, but the levels are low, so l haven`t taken antibiotics for that lately. Anyway, its VERY DIFFICULT to eradicate h.p. and its not related to BB (at least in my case)"

What do you mean by the levels being very low? Antibodies? Because if you mean h.pylori there is no such thing as a low level of infection, you either have it or you dont.

Another thing.. you are quite wrong to say h.pylori is "VERY DIFFICULT" to eradicate. Yes it's difficult in cases of antibiotic resistance where their use has been abused, but otherwise eradication is infact "VERY EASY".
Such reckless descriptions are likely to discourage people in what has been PROVEN as a cause of BB for many infected with HP.

Another important point to note, is that the body's natural response to this infection and other pathogenic bacteria, is to produce extra acid to try to destroy it. Normally this works, but with the exception of HP because of its unique ability to surround itself with ammonia, which protects itself from the acid. This is why no one bothered to look more closely at a possible bacterial cause for ulcers and related symptoms because it was generally considered that bacteria could not survive this harsh acidic environment. This extra acid then goes on to be produced chronically in a vicious circle, eroding the protective mucus layers of the stomach, causing an ulcer, cancer, reflux, etc etc.

EDIT: i would just like to add here that this situation was ideal for drug companies selling products to control stomach acid. Billions $$ were made from this situation and continue to do so. That's why after the h.pylori connection with gastritis was established, they pressed for the FDA to allow for these products to be sold OTC, in the hope that people who were still infected would contine to buy these meds, since guidelines were now in place to deal with HP instead of perpetually controlling acid for remedy of gastritis.
Last edited by halitosisux on Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
iva
Master
Posts: 295
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:26 pm

Post by iva »

halitosisux wrote:iva,

What do you mean by the levels being very low? Antibodies? Because if you mean h.pylori there is no such thing as a low level of infection, you either have it or you dont.

Another thing.. you are quite wrong to say h.pylori is "VERY DIFFICULT" to eradicate. Yes it's difficult in cases of antibiotic resistance where their use has been abused, but otherwise eradication is infact "VERY EASY".
Such reckless descriptions are likely to discourage people in what has been PROVEN as a cause of BB for many infected with HP.

.
halitosisux,

I have had the direct biposy test twice and the first time I had h.p, the second-I didn`t. This is the most effective way to get tested for h.p. acording to the doctors I have spoken with.
Then I have had the stool test several times in different labs and as u know labs have different criteria for testing. So some labs would just give me a yes/no result for the presence of h.p and there is one lab that gives me the level of h.p. antigens. According to them "normal" levels vary from 0.3-0.8 and I ususally have 0.5. This lab changed my idea for h.p, because I used to think one either has it or not and now it turnes out that everyone may have it . When I asked my doctor, he explained that when u have h.p. antigen levels below 0.5, u are considered not to have h.p. infection.

Halitosisux, from what I have read on the Internet, the direct relationship between h.p infection and BB has yet to be proven. Nevertheless I do not doubt that h.p. has lead to my gastritis and GERD which have caused my BB, so I think there is and indirect relationship.
I say h.p is difficult for eradication, because I know peolple with h.p who get treated for it and sometimes the bacteria comes back at some point.
halitosisux
Moderator
Posts: 3266
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm

Post by halitosisux »

Hi iva,
Thanks for your reply. Yes i agree that it may be difficult to remain free of h.pylori - many factors can contribute to this fact. For instance, dogs and pets are frequently found to carry this infection too, and are considered a source of infection/reinfection. Also, since its also been found within the mouthes of some of those infected, it could be possible that partners etc are the source of reinfection. But it is certainly not difficult to eradicate HP in general.

Clearly not everyone with this infection suffers with halitosis, or any other of its symptoms, but maybe some are just susceptible by some pathway. For instance it might be that some have this germ present in the mouth, whereas others do not. The most probably relationship to me would be the direct connection with the physical effects of gastritis. It could be LPR and the effect it has on the mucosa in the throat and nasal passages. It could be something further down in the digestive system. Its all possible in theory and anyone with BB needs to rule it out.

I agree with you that there is no proven direct connection, but that there is very very high possibility an indirect one for some.
User avatar
DRASTIC
Sheriff
Posts: 431
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:35 am

Post by DRASTIC »

Hi Halitosisux,

I agree with you about testing to find out if h. pylori is present. It will be good to rule out any possibilities.

I stand by my view that some doctors dont want to test you for h. pylori or anything else though.

Halitosisux, I took your advice and called in my new surgery for an emergency appointment this is the one you get without having made a prior appointment. The doctor called me back asked what is wrong told him diarrohea, pains in stomach, severe indigestion, nausea, vomiting.

Ok so I laid it on thick about vomiting, but my stools alternate between diarrohea and constipation over months now.
I also have a constant stomach growling which is very loud at night and when I am hungry.

So, here is what the doctor said,

Take dialyte, drink warmwater, clear soup and fruit juices. That I should call him back at 5 pm today. HE SAID IF THERE IS STILL DIAROHEA THEN HE WILL RECOMMEND STOOL TEST FOR ME TO SEND SOMEONE TO COLLECT THE SAMPLE BOTTLE>

[b]Now that got me thinking. He seems like he wont recommend the bacterial test if I tell him the diarohea stopped. Because he said that it seems that if if the diarrohea stops then he will not need to do the bacterial test.
WHAT TO DO? ofcourse I plan to tell him that the diarrhea continued? If it means that is the only way to do the stool test?

Opinions, from you people.

These F***K*****g doctors in this country dont like rcommending people to do test. As if it there money. MEAN BASTARDS ALL
OF THEM[/b].

I Know I will tell him I have it still.


Drastic
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
Bad Breath ebook. Top solutions from the owner of badbreathhalitosis.com for your bad breath.Discover the Bad Breath ebook Explore the ebook ↗
A LITTLE SUPPORT IN YOUR INBOX

Let’s stay
connected.

Sign up for free bad breath tips by email.

ADVERTISING OPPORTUNITIES

Your banner. Right here.

Introduce your brand to the Bad Breath Halitosis community.

Advertise here ↗