THE BAD BREATH COMMUNITY

A little more connection.
A little less alone.

Real experiences. Open conversations. A place to feel understood.

Bad Breath ebook. Top solutions from the owner of badbreathhalitosis.com for your bad breath.THE BAD BREATH EBOOK Discover the ebook ↗
POWERED BY PEOPLE LIKE YOU

Keep the conversation going.

Your donation helps cover hosting and keep this community available.

Donate to the forum ♡

Fungus in Nose/Sinus and Anti-fungals

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
User avatar
DRASTIC
Sheriff
Posts: 431
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:35 am

Fungus in Nose/Sinus and Anti-fungals

Post by DRASTIC »

Hi Everyone.

Hope you all had a great Christmas and wish you a very happy, successful, productive and life changing NEW YEAR 2009. Let's all hope it will be our year.

I have been doing some more research and I am strongly considering that mold/fungus could be a problem for many of us who have sinus problems/ drainage/PND.

How many of you have odour from the nose when you close your mouth but breathe out??????????????????????????????????????????????


Might be alot of us but it could be that fungus in the nose or sinus could very well be what is causing this.

This PND (carrying the fungus) then drips on the back of our tongue thereby causing it to be white even 1 hour after meticulously scraping the very back of our tongue. Thereby altering the flora in our mouth causing severe halitosis.

I have been reading up on people who had this fungus in their nose or sinus cavity. They reported foul odor from nose as well as mouth.

I have been doing some research and most if not all people are allergic to mold/fungus. It is a possibility that this could be one possible problem causing BB.

This would not apply to many people esp. those who dont have sinus problem. But it could be one possible cause for some of us who report that our bad breath got worst after antibiotics.

Think about it people. Antibiotics increase the growth of candida in the stomach and so too in the sinus. This might explain why when we have a sinus infection we still dont get better after using antibiotics. In this case antibiotics may make some bb worst, not all.

I have used antibiotics in the past and it made no difference on my bad breath. Amoxycillin, pennicillin, doxycillin, erythromycim, etc. You name it I have used in the past for some sinus infecttion or tonsil infection-back in the day when I had my tonsils. BB did not improve.

I am convinced that our body and sinuses are reacting to mold or fungus and that can contribute to bb.

NOW< dont get me wrong. I do not think that this is the case for everyone. Not everyone can be grouped into the same basket.

But for those who have sinus problems let me KNow if you have had:


a culture from your sinus tested for fungus - some might be unreliable but still. Have you done a culture from your sinuses????????????????

Just to rule out possibilities.


Have any of you taken

Difflucan nasal spray????
difflucan tablets- not just for days but for a while to rule this out???
Nystasin oral powder. Not the gel/liquid but the pure powder???
Ampho B irrigation????????
Viriconazole nasal spray??????

Apparently, if you are using these anti-fungals it seems to be best to use the anti-fungal wash, anti-fungal spray, and oral antifungal together.

Now, how do we go about asking our local GP doctor to prescribe these. I havent a clue. I have a follow visit with my GP tomorrow and I still dont know what I will tell him. But, chances are that he will tell you that oral antifungals can cause liver damage etc etc. But so too can antibiotics, cough medicines etc but we still take them.

The best idea might be to get hold of some oral anti-fungals not for long but enough to kill some fungus internally. Then use the nasal wash and nasal antifungal spray for a while. With the antifungal spray or wash you have little or no side effect because it isnt in the blood stream.

SO< why not use natural anti-fungals like garlic, wild oil of oregano, tea tree oil. By all means use these. But, I just thought that if fungus is causing some of us to smell this terrible then we might be beyond the help of natural anti-fungals and just mught need something stronger like difflucan to help the battle. When we are strong enough then we can use natural anti-fungals to help us.

I hope I havent bored you lot with this long post.

Opinions???

Let me know what you think???

DRASTIC
halitosisux
Moderator
Posts: 3266
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm

Post by halitosisux »

Hi Drastic,
Happy New Year and best of luck to everyone in 2009!!

Im not sure what the mechanisms are with a fungal infection of the sinuses, but i have read they are responsible for some of the worst cases of BB (of the room filling variety im presuming of which i did not have). Not sure whether fungal infections themselves produce this odour, or whether secondary bacterial infections exist in the presense of tissue damage caused by the rotting effect of such infections, as can happen with common nail or skin infections for example.

An interesting point to note is that even with my own BB and tongue odours i never had any odours coming out from my nose. My point being that my BB was considered to be quite bad, and if anyone was capable of producing odours out of my nose from the oral/tongue area, then i was. So my point is that i think anyone who has odours coming out of the nose, then i think this may be a good sign that the nasal system itself is behind the BB, which then goes on to cause the tongue and throat area to smell (as opposed to the other way round).

My Mother was the same too, she used to have constant terrible CH and lots of problems with her nose with lots of clear PND. But i could never detect anything from her nose and ever since she had all her teeth removed she's never had a hint of BB again.

I know that sinus problems can cause BB and odours on the tongue etc, so the pathway is there for that to happen, through drainage/PND etc.

Another point regarding the connection with BB and those who've taken antibiotics in the past, is its possible that antibiotics were given but they failed to clear the problem for which they were given, as opposed to causing a fungal or bacterial overgrowth etc as is commonly presumed to happen within the gut. The problem therefore could still remain or have worsened over time and be responsible for BB.

Making a note of trying antifungal medication and discussing this with an ENT or doctor is definitely worth considering, as a means to ruling out this possibility. Drastic, do you have odours from your nose?
User avatar
DRASTIC
Sheriff
Posts: 431
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:35 am

Post by DRASTIC »

Hi Halitosisux,

I apparently have odours from my nose which is what really have me questioning this sinus/fungus connection.

I have been on several antibiotic in the past and I was really wondering if they made this situation worst. My BB started when I had the flu really horrible flu which caused blood stained snot when I blew my nose 3 years ago. Anyways, I got pennicillin for it but I remember finishing the antibiotic and still had runny nose and felt rundown.

So, I noticed that after that time I developed the bad breath. Also, at that time I lived in a house with mold. When I say moldy I mean I would clean with bleach and then wake up the next day to see that the mold had grown back next day it was thatr back. At that time I did not have a dehumidifier. I now have a dehumidifier which is so good at getting rid of moisture that the mold cannot increase. Mold needs moisture to increase.

So, anyways, at first it was just when I spoke then i later found out that BB also comes from the nose.

I have sinus drainage. I realised recently that this PND taste quite salty bitter. And the PND is gluey white like the whites of your eyes.


So, I am strongly suggesting that people get this investigated.

My last ENT put me on

antihistamine for 2 months in June and July
nasonex-corticosteroids for 2 months June and july.

He did an endoscopy thing where he looked into my nose. He didnt see any polyps but did mention that he saw snot in my sinuses and that the lining was swollen so the snot could not get out. he did mention that this could cause a smell because the sinus area was inflamed and the snot could not come out so it stayed there and smelled.

He also mentioned that he could do a surgery to open my airways so the snot could drain. He also said he could do surgery on my tonsils as well because i had tonsil crypts and tonsil stones.

I told him no because I dont feel comfortable with people cutting my nose. Anyways, he said I could try the meds and see what happened.

i did the meds for 2 whole months and when I got there he checked again and he saw that my sinuses looked fine. Apparantley the inflamation went down and the sinuses could drain.

However the smell remained. Even when I was using the nasonex the smell got worst and started to smell like raw chicken. It was horrible.
I later found out that corticosteroid nose spray like nasones or beconase can make sinus fungus worst.

Anyways, fastforward, and here I am. This sinus/nasal fungus is a great possibility for people who have bb from nose and mouth.

I wish more people with BB from the nose would speak up about there situation and any sinus surgery or treatment that they had.


Drastic
TeamZissou
Advanced
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:01 pm

Post by TeamZissou »

I was treated with an oral anti-fungal medication to rule this out a few months ago. I was on it for two weeks I believe. Didn't clear up my problem, but I never strongly suspected it as a cause in my case anyways.

It's definitely worth a try though, if you think it's a possibility. It's just a pill once a day, with few side effects in most cases.
User avatar
DRASTIC
Sheriff
Posts: 431
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:35 am

Post by DRASTIC »

Hi Teamzissou,

Thanks for your reply.

But based on my research if you are taking oral anti-fungals for 2 weeks only that might not be long enough. You would possibly need to be on then a bit longer and use nasal anti-fungals- the one where you spray up your nose and mix the antifungal into a sinus wash. These combined would offer more benefits and results.

Drastic
TeamZissou
Advanced
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:01 pm

Post by TeamZissou »

Yes Drastic I agree, I may not have been treated sufficiently enough. I'm still skeptical that is my problem though, as my symptoms were completely unaffected by the medication, and I have been scoped by an ENT and had sinus x-rays, which were normal.

You should definitely pursue this though, if you believe it's a possible cause. And I agree, taking the medication for longer than two weeks, in addition to some from of anti-fungal spray or rinse, makes sense if your doctor says it's safe.
halitosisux
Moderator
Posts: 3266
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm

Post by halitosisux »

Hi Drastic,
I agree with TeamZissou, this is definitely worth persuing.
As far as i was concerned with my own 22-year BB nightmare i always felt so negative and hopeless because it always felt like it was something i'd been born with. If i'd suddenly developed BB i think it would have helped my attitude to solving it, instead of the nagging negativity which always made everything feel so hopeless.
Since this all started for you with a bout of flu you have lots of clues and can hopefully work your way backwards so that it will eventually lead you to the cause.
Its possible that the mold around you at the time somehow found its way into your sinuses (maybe this process itself was the flu episode?) since it coincided with the onset of your BB. Taking antibiotics at the time may have helped a fungal infection take hold. This Gluey white PND, how long has it been like this? its definitely not normal, PND is normally clear.
Some of the drugs your doctor put you on were likely to make matters worse. I dont know if an endoscopic examination of the nose can reveal anything going on within the sinuses, apart from the discharge draining out from them and general condition of the tissues within the nasal passages.
The fact that any medication for your nose made the odour much worse should give you lots of encouragement towards this very likely possibility for your BB - put this right at the top of your list!!
anna.88
Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:52 am

Post by anna.88 »

hi everyone...i agree we need more info on this.
i have bb and oder comes from my nose as well...i use teetree oil but i feel like i stink from it after words....i would love to know more ways to use on this hellish problem....pleas msg me if u can help...
OdourFree
Junior
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:56 am

Post by OdourFree »

Hi Everyone
I'm new to this forum but been stalking it for some time!
I agree that the sinuses and nasal passages can play a big role in the problem of BB. I have suffered with PND (and BB) for a very long time and the PND only recently subsided when I was treated for a sinus infection that I didn't even realise I had. My cheek bone just above the back molar was slightly painful. I had always assumed the molar was the source of the pain until a recent trip to the ENT doctor (one of many!) had indicated otherwise. Antibiotics cleared the infection (but believe me it got much worse before it got better) and Flixonase nasal spray cleared the sinuses. The first application of Flixonase released not only mucos but hard bits from my sinuses which I didn't notice until I lay down flat. The smell coming out of my nose and mouth on that first night was horrendous. It was so bad it woke me from my sleep but it did receed as the days went on. I had used other sprays before but none had this affect. Incidently, my son who doesn't suffer with BB used it after a bad cold and although he said the Flixonase itself smelled a little strange, he had no foul smell coming from his mouth or nose. So I think this spray released a lot of smelly, infected mucos from my sinuses.

Although this treatment has not cured my long term BB problem it has allowed me to breath a lot easier. I now irrigate my sinuses with some tea tree oil and water which helps kill off some of the bacteria but not the anaerobic type! I think it's going to take something a lot stronger to penetrate those. Also I've noticed the dark circles around my eyes have become lighter - some success at last. :D

I have some information that I would like to share with you and get your views on, which I will post once I have gathered it together.
sly
Total Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:08 pm

Post by sly »

I too feel that my BB is coming form some sort of PND and from a gum.tooth area in one part of my upper teeth area...it feels like a leak is here,a sinusy leaking feeling that has plagued me forever..dentists and perion. could not find anything wrong, of course! But today, I can feel that annoying PND and my breath is HORRIBLE...if I take mucinex for a few days, it seems to clear up , and drain better with out the smell and taste...makes you jittery..what is tea tree oil and where do I buy and how do I use..are you saying we should use nasal sprays , too?? I am very new to this forum..have suffered in silence for a long time, so I am rather a newbie here..thanks for any suggestions!
phineas
Newbie
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:49 am

Post by phineas »

For those who didn't know, I was on a strict no carb diet, and it was working very well...for a couple of days. Well after the first few days of a fresh taste in my mouth and a great saliva flow, everything sorta went back to normal. Nothing changed in my diet, but all the familiar smells and tastes returned, which was quite disappointing. I have managed to maintain the very disciplined diet, and I believe things are a little better, but nothing like those first few days. I'm trying not to let it get to me, but as you all well know, it's a very frustrating process.

After reading Drastic's post today, and doing A LOT of research of my own, I strongly believe that my PND is the source of my problem. PND is why the back of my tongue is always white, why my back teeth always smell when I floss, and why no amount of brushing, or miracle toothpaste is going to help. I've always had trouble with sinus blockage, and recently have had more trouble getting air flow, even though I'm a very healthy individual. A real revelation came today, when I got a bloody nose. As I stood in the bathroom letting the blood drain, I decided to look in my mouth with a flashlight, and i saw the blood draining down my throat. It was a steady stream of blood, yet I barely noticed it. It wasn't until today that I realized how much drainage I actually have.

So this will be my next task, to attempt to treat my PND. Let's really try to tackle this together. And any information that anybody has will be greatly appreciated!

Also, I've been looking at something called the sinus doctor, anybody have any information on this?
http://www.sinusinfectiondiscovery.com/ ... agod-3eDVg

Probably another gimmick, but maybe worth a shot. The picture shows three bottles: Thyme extract, unknown, and something leaf extract.
faith59
Junior
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:32 am
Location: Metairie, La

Post by faith59 »

]

Been there, done that , doesn't work. Soorrrry!!!!! ](*,)
User avatar
DRASTIC
Sheriff
Posts: 431
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:35 am

Post by DRASTIC »

phineas,

i also had the blood draining thru my nose and when i looked at the back of the throat i could see blood draining from b ack of nose. think it might be polyp there.

sorry.
Snobuni
Sheriff
Posts: 381
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:53 am

Post by Snobuni »

Has anyone tried Bactroban (mupirocin calcium) nasal ointment in their nose with any success? I think it's some sort of antibacterial.
halitosisux
Moderator
Posts: 3266
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm

Post by halitosisux »

Snobuni,
I dont know if you've seen my recent mention of Bactroban or not. Its a cream which you apply to the nostrils with a finger and its very quick and effective at allowing scabs to heal or for minor infections around the nostrils. I dont think its for use any deeper than that.
I get a tube once a year on repeat prescription.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
Bad Breath ebook. Top solutions from the owner of badbreathhalitosis.com for your bad breath.Discover the Bad Breath ebook Explore the ebook ↗
A LITTLE SUPPORT IN YOUR INBOX

Let’s stay
connected.

Sign up for free bad breath tips by email.

ADVERTISING OPPORTUNITIES

Your banner. Right here.

Introduce your brand to the Bad Breath Halitosis community.

Advertise here ↗