So I've been doing so much research, and so much dissecting of my body, that I've failed to look at the surface and consider that the source of my bb is more simple than I had previously thought. Because I seem to have so many symptoms, both internally and in my mouth, I have become overwhelmed with possibilities of my bb.
In the past year or so, I have, at one time or another, been 100% convinced that my bb originated from one of the following:
Acid Reflux
Laringopharengeal Reflux
Candida
PND
tonsils
oral flora/stomach flora imbalance
periodontal disease
bad oral hygiene
Lactose Intolerance
Gluten Intolerance
...and the list goes on
All of these things can be VERY overwhelming, as you all know. I wish I could figure one out, and if it wasn't the source, then check it off the list. But it isn't that simple. Sometimes I feel like I am taking one step forward and two steps back. I'll have my good days, and reasons why I think they are good, and be completely wrong. Then I have my bad days, and have no idea what was different from the day before.
At first I thought my PND was dripping to the back of my tongue, causing white coating, and causing bb. I am now on PND medication called Fluxicasone (or something), and I do believe it is helping my PND. For the past week since I've been on it, I have been blowing my nose like crazy, and I feel like I can breathe better, and that eventually the mucous will become more and more thin.
Lately, especially after reading about asd's recent success, I have been focused on my tonsils, while continuing to monitor my PND. For the first time, I prodded around my tonsils with my fingers, and holy shit, they stink. I couldn't believe how strong the smell was, too. So I took a flashlight and looked around while pushing around, and I see tonsils stones lodged in my tonsils, too stubborn to be pushed out.
So I have PND, my tonsils officially stink, and always when I floss, my two upper back teeth stink when i take the floss out (stink bad, too...kinda like shit).
So here is what I think: the PND drips down and get into the tonsil crypts, into the gaps in my back teeth, and onto my tongue
OR
the PND isn't my problem (mucous doesn't smell), and it's my tonsils who are the problem, and they are what keep my back teeth smelling, being so close in proximity
OR
I have developed some periodontal disease within those upper two teeth, and it is them who are the culprits
So this is where I am. Until I feel more comfortable about my mouth, I am putting aside my stomach/digestion issues. I grow more and more confident that my problem lies within my mouth, especially considering I have had 3 major mouth surgeries.
And for anyone that wants to know, this is what I do to keep my bb manageable:
-Probiotics and milk thistle (morning and night)
-I take a whole slew of other supplements, but I truly couldn't tell you if they are making a difference
-I brush my teeth 3 to 4 times a days, with as little toothpaste as possible (the more I use, the more dry my mouth gets and the worse my bb is)
-no mouthwash, just water
-usually scrape my tongue, but am going to refrain for a week or so and see if it makes any difference
-keep to a strict diet (low carb, lots of protein, lots of green veggies, low sugar, low/no caffeine, no dairy except for yogurt)
-exercise
If you've read all of this, thank you. If you have any comments, or constructive criticism, any of that would be appreciated.
THE BAD BREATH COMMUNITY
A little more connection.
A little more connection.
A little less alone.
Real experiences. Open conversations. A place to feel understood.
THE BAD BREATH EBOOK Discover the ebook ↗
POWERED BY PEOPLE LIKE YOU
Donate to the forum ♡
Keep the conversation going.
Your donation helps cover hosting and keep this community available.
Just a few things
Phineas,
You completely read my mind!! This is EXACTLY what I'm thinking about my situation at the moment, and I'm completely confused about the source too. One minute I'm convinced it's PND, then it's my back teeth. I also think it must be something very simple within my mouth or sinuses, despite getting the all clear from my dentist. I had tonsil stones and thought having a tonsilectomy would get rid of my bb for good, of course it didn't, but at least I don't have to worry about them contributing to my bb anymore.
I also don't use mouthwashes anymore and don't use alot of toothpaste, haven't tried not scraping my tongue yet though, it's a bit of a scary thought!!!
Anyway, this wasn't a very constructive post, I just wanted to say how much I can relate to what you're saying, 'cos it's what I'm thinking too at the moment. The question is, what do we do next? I'm almost at the point of considering having all my teeth pulled, if I knew for certain this would get rid of my bb, I think I'd be desperate enough to do it just now.
You completely read my mind!! This is EXACTLY what I'm thinking about my situation at the moment, and I'm completely confused about the source too. One minute I'm convinced it's PND, then it's my back teeth. I also think it must be something very simple within my mouth or sinuses, despite getting the all clear from my dentist. I had tonsil stones and thought having a tonsilectomy would get rid of my bb for good, of course it didn't, but at least I don't have to worry about them contributing to my bb anymore.
I also don't use mouthwashes anymore and don't use alot of toothpaste, haven't tried not scraping my tongue yet though, it's a bit of a scary thought!!!
Anyway, this wasn't a very constructive post, I just wanted to say how much I can relate to what you're saying, 'cos it's what I'm thinking too at the moment. The question is, what do we do next? I'm almost at the point of considering having all my teeth pulled, if I knew for certain this would get rid of my bb, I think I'd be desperate enough to do it just now.
phineas, I can relate to everything you have written about. For years I have jumped from one possible cause to another in a frantic bid to find a cure and, as you said, I felt that I'd taken one step forward and two steps back. I've now decided to take one step at a time and completey rule out potential causes.
Treating a sinus infection with antibiotics and Flixonase nasal spray completely cleared my pnd. My mucos dosen't smell but I honestly can't say if it smelled before the sinus treatment.
Now i'm working on the teeth. If you are interested, I'll pm the details of little experiment i'm trying on my teeth at the moment that may help you determin whether the smell is coming from your teeth or tonsils.
Discover the Bad Breath ebook Explore the ebook ↗
ADVERTISING OPPORTUNITIES
Advertise here ↗
Your banner. Right here.
Introduce your brand to the Bad Breath Halitosis community.