THE BAD BREATH COMMUNITY

A little more connection.
A little less alone.

Real experiences. Open conversations. A place to feel understood.

Bad Breath ebook. Top solutions from the owner of badbreathhalitosis.com for your bad breath.THE BAD BREATH EBOOK Discover the ebook ↗
POWERED BY PEOPLE LIKE YOU

Keep the conversation going.

Your donation helps cover hosting and keep this community available.

Donate to the forum ♡

I think I know the root of my BB problem

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
Hope1
Total Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 2:15 pm

I think I know the root of my BB problem

Post by Hope1 »

Hi, I'm new and like many I've been suffering from BB for a couple of years now. No amount of brushing and flossing made it go away. I tried Profresh and Therabreath and they only provided temporarily relief. It just got to a point where I gave up and accepted that I will have this problem for the rest of my life.

Anyways, to not make this a long post a couple of days ago when I was brushing my wisdom teeth located on the bottom right I notice that the bad odour came from there. I did an experiment where I left my finger in each wisdom teeth for several seconds, took it out, and no smell came from the other wisdom teeths while the bad smell came from the right bottom wisdom teeth. I immediately made an appointment to have it remove this friday. The thing is that before the gum in the back of my right wisdom teeth had be swollen and I just took pain killers. Many times when I brush my teeth there it hurts a bit and I start to bleed and also my right wisdom teeth is not fully out like the other wisdom teeths.

So, my theory is that it is coming from there so hopefully things go as planned and the dentist takes it out and it will make the BB go away. I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed [-o<
halitosisux
Moderator
Posts: 3266
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm

Post by halitosisux »

Good luck on friday,
How old were you when your BB started?
Hope1
Total Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 2:15 pm

Post by Hope1 »

Thank you. As for when it started it was during my teens when my final bottom right wisdom tooth started growing. I just hope taking it out will solve the problem. I've read for some the BB still persist even after an extraction or that they develop BB after an extraction :-&
halitosisux
Moderator
Posts: 3266
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm

Post by halitosisux »

Could just be coincidental.
If you have odour from a gum (or even if you cant detect it because of habituation) or suspect any gum problems, if you have any teeth which havent erupted fully (usually wisdom teeth, including teeth which are still completely below which are impacted and stuck) you have to get this ruled out. Such situations can allow even small amounts of odourous discharge which will be enough to infest your whole mouth.
So good luck and please let us know how you get on after your extraction.
Hope1
Total Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 2:15 pm

Post by Hope1 »

I finally was able to extract the tooth. The doctor had a bit of trouble getting the sucker out but he finally did. Right now I'm in a bit of pain. Just a few minutes ago after watching my hands I put my finger on the gum that had bad smell previously and there is no sign of smell at all. That's a good sign but I am trying not to get my hopes up too much. Wouldn't dare touch the tooth area due to it still being wounded and there's a bit of blood there. Tomorrow I will start rinsing with warm water and salt. Have to go back to the dentist next week.
phineas
Newbie
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:49 am

Post by phineas »

Hope1 wrote:I finally was able to extract the tooth. The doctor had a bit of trouble getting the sucker out but he finally did. Right now I'm in a bit of pain. Just a few minutes ago after watching my hands I put my finger on the gum that had bad smell previously and there is no sign of smell at all. That's a good sign but I am trying not to get my hopes up too much. Wouldn't dare touch the tooth area due to it still being wounded and there's a bit of blood there. Tomorrow I will start rinsing with warm water and salt. Have to go back to the dentist next week.
Hi Hope,
this is great news! I hope for your sake that this was the root of your problem. In the meantime, the best advice I can give is to be patient. There is a whole healing process that needs to happen so don't be discouraged if your mouth still feels dirty or if you get a reaction in the next few weeks. And definitely try to keep your fingers out of ur mouth :P They have more bacteria than you can imagine and the last thing ur open wounds need are bacteria.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Phineas
Hope1
Total Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 2:15 pm

Post by Hope1 »

phineas, glad to come here and read your post. I am feeling down at the moment because it appears the odour is coming out of the socket where my wisdom tooth was remove. Right now I'm just going to do what you said in letting it heal and just keep practicing good oral hygiene and not letting food in the socket. :( Any other suggestions besides..

Healing
Brush
Floss
Tongue scraping
Warm Water and Salt Rinse
Keep food out of socket
halitosisux
Moderator
Posts: 3266
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm

Post by halitosisux »

Hi Hope,
Glad to hear it went well, its going to smell bad for a few days at least, so like Phineas said be patient and just rinse it gently with warm salt water to rinse debris away. If it smelled before then you have a really good chance this will turn out to be your cause. There isnt much else you can do you just have to wait and see. Once its healed you can look very closely again at the rest of your teeth and gums and be able to check more closely if any other areas of odour still exist, but hopefully you wont have to.
Fingers crossed for you.
Hope1
Total Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 2:15 pm

Post by Hope1 »

when I had the wisdom tooth it smell as well as the gum behind it. Now that the wisdom tooth was remove there is still smell in the socket but the smell in the gum behind the tooth is gone. Even though the bleeding has stop, I can still taste blood in my mouth.
Hope1
Total Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 2:15 pm

Post by Hope1 »

halitosisux, I have a question. When your wisdom tooth was extracted did you only use warm water and salt to rinse? Yesterday my BB was so bad that I bought Smart Mouth out of desperation. It's my first time buying that and I dont know whether to use it or not since it is day 3 and the site still hurts. I read another site where it said to use Listerine but I'm a bit hesistant
halitosisux
Moderator
Posts: 3266
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm

Post by halitosisux »

hi hope1,
I only used warm salt water for a few days, very gently rinsing any food debris away. I dont think you need to do any more than that, because a clot will have formed and you dont want to risk dislodging it because its important for healing. Dont worry about your breath you are entitled to smell bad at this stage! give it a good couple of weeks for the main healing and you'll know roughly where you stand.
While you have any open wounds, such as a healing extraction, its normal for the white blood cells and clotting blood etc to cause odour because oral bacteria feeds off this.
Hope1
Total Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 2:15 pm

Post by Hope1 »

my wound is very deep so rinsing with warm water and salt is not enough for me. Just today I found out that what was making my BB much worse over the weekend was that small food was getting in the wound. I took a cotton swab and gently rotate it in the wound. I was suprised of how many food there was. I continued using it until I didn't see any food and my BB and weird taste decrease greatly after that. I notice that I keep producing this awful smell yellow liquid(I think its the blood) in the wound. When I use the cotton swab to take it all away then the smell on the wound isn't there but then minutes later the yellow liquid is there again and the smell is back. Will let my doctor know this friday because I think that if there is no more yellow liquid then my BB problem will go away.
halitosisux
Moderator
Posts: 3266
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm

Post by halitosisux »

I would be more concerned if nothing was happening and you still had BB, so just give it time because your situation at the moment sounds very promising. Maybe you have an actual infection and its going to take some until that's wiped out. But while you still have these odours coming out and still have BB, there is still hope regarding this extraction curing your BB.
Hope1
Total Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 2:15 pm

Post by Hope1 »

Encouraging news. Yesterday night the yellow liquid stopped and this morning when I woke up I had little morning breath(before it was very worse). When I clean the wound site there is no yellow liquid and it didn't smell. The wound is closing up a bit. I brush my teeth and wait a minute then ask my brother if my breath smell bad and he said no. Usually in the past after I brush my teeth I still felt my mouth was dirty and no amount of brushing made the smell go away. Will give two weeks to see if I am BB free or not. [-o<
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
Bad Breath ebook. Top solutions from the owner of badbreathhalitosis.com for your bad breath.Discover the Bad Breath ebook Explore the ebook ↗
A LITTLE SUPPORT IN YOUR INBOX

Let’s stay
connected.

Sign up for free bad breath tips by email.

ADVERTISING OPPORTUNITIES

Your banner. Right here.

Introduce your brand to the Bad Breath Halitosis community.

Advertise here ↗