Hey snobuni!
ltns, we need to catch up!.. I'm still waiting for those naughty pics u promised me
I read all the posts in that link you put up.
LOADS of important pieces of information to note. Particularly how the mum said she can correlate the episodes of trapped tonsilloliths in her young son's tonsils to his horrendous BB. Doesnt mean for certain tho that its his tonsils stones causing his BB, because maybe there's some other reason causing his BB, and its that which leads to the formation of his stones.
Sno, do you still get any stones?
Personally, I think the difference between a person who produces stones to someone who doesnt, is due to the culmination of several factors combining together. First of all, no doubt it depends on the "degree" of tonsil crypting. I also think it depends on any factors which allow bacterial overactivity, such as excessive amounts of mucus, oral chemistry, etc. I think there may also be some bodily reason why these stones and stench occur, such as rate of cell "sloughing", possibly relating to hormones in the same way that female menstruation is.
This, I believe, is also why some people can have REALLY bad teeth and gums and yet have clean breath, where others only need the most minor problem to turn their mouth into a sewer.
I dont really know much about lingual tonsils, didnt even know they existed until I found this site. Can they become crypted? The stench at the back of the tongue is generally considered to be because of the undisturbed and much thicker tongue papillae constantly being bathed in protein rich mucus. Any odours will tend to concentrate back there too. I've read plenty of cases where BB has been due to issues relating to the adenoids - confirmed by the removal. Is there actually any confirmation out there of any chronic cases of BB being proven by surgical removal of lingual tonsils?
I also believe that my wisdom tooth pocket and my tonsil crypts were, as far as bad breath goes, the same thing, and had I still had either, my natural susceptibility to BB, as I've just mentioned, would have allowed either to cause me to have BB. In anyone else they might not.
Interesting how so many people on that site reported that preceeding the formation and appearance of stones, their ears or eustachian tubes become itchy and irritated. This might be toxins being released from the bacterial processes that form the stone irritating the area. It might be a localization issue making it seem that whatever is going on with the tonsils feel like its happening elsewhere.
I had no end of sore throats as a kid. I dont know if I ever had strep infections. I do know that I'd have severe sore throats and fever several times a year. My sore throats never seemed mild like everyone else's.
You need a thorough all-over examination I think
