THE BAD BREATH COMMUNITY
A little more connection.
A little more connection.
A little less alone.
Real experiences. Open conversations. A place to feel understood.
THE BAD BREATH EBOOK Discover the ebook ↗
POWERED BY PEOPLE LIKE YOU
Donate to the forum ♡
Keep the conversation going.
Your donation helps cover hosting and keep this community available.
TMAU
tmau diet sheet
Jimi:
This diet sheet did not transfer well into the post. It's supposed to have three categories starting from the left, foods allowed freely, then restrict to 2-4 servings, and then the third category, avoid.
As you can see the transfer of the text didn't come out right. If you would like me to send it to another spot on the site let me know. Laura
Allowed freely
Less than 50mg choline / average serving Restrict to 2-4 servings / day
50-150mg choline / serving Avoid
More than 150mg choline / serving
Cereals and cereal products
Wheat flour (white), cornflour, custard powder, white bread, pitta bread, white rice, pasta, sago, tapioca, oatmeal, rolled oats Wholemeal flour, Wheatgerm, Wholegrain rice, cereals and breadss containing soya, nuts, wheatgerm or bran
Dairy products
Butter Whole milk 300ml / day
Cottage cheese 112g/day
Cheddar cheeses 60g/day Skimmed milk, soya milk, butter spreads and margarine with lecithin or choline added (check ingredients), Fermented & mature cheese e.g blue stilton, mature farmhouse cheddar and processed cheeses.
Eggs
Egg white Egg yolk and whole egg
Meat
Rabbit, bacon, pork sausages Chicken breast, turkey breast, pork loin, lamb, veal, ham, tongue Calf’s liver, ox liver, liver sausage, liver pate, kidney, sweetbreads, brain, beef
Fish and fish products Tuna in sandwich (45g), pilchards (3 canned), trout 150g, cod 120g, calamari (squid, octopus) 120g All fish including shell fish and fish products e.g. fish paste, fish pate, fish cakes, fish oils and products containing fish oils. Cod liver oil, oil capsules, Maxepa capsules
Vegetables
Sweet peppers, cucumber, celery, spinach, green beans, avocado, lettuce, leeks, sweet potato, green cabbage, carrot, brussel sprouts, white cabbage, sweetcorn Asparagus, cauliflower, iceberg lettuce, savoy cabbage, curli kale, turnip, tomato, mange tout, potato – limit to small servings only Peas, beans, lentils
Fruit
All fruits except those listed opposite Banana, apple
Sugars and confectionery
Sugar, icing sugar, glucose, jam, honey, golden syrup, treacle, marmalade, lollies and fruit based ice lollies, boiled sweets, chewing gum, chocolate if it contains no lecithin (E322) or choline Chocolate containing choline or lecithin (E322)
Beverages
Tea, herb tea, cordial, fizzy drinks, fruit squash, fruit juice, mineral water Coffee – limit to 1-2 cups of weak coffee a day Beer, bovril and drink containing yeast extract
Alcoholic drinks Limit all alcoholic drinks to small amounts and avoid binge drinking Beer
Miscellaneous
Salt, pepper, herbs, spices, chutney, mustard, vinegar, essences e.g. vanilla, baking powder, salad dressing (no egg or lecithin E322) Peanuts any food containing peanuts eg satays, peanut butter, yeast extracts e.g. marmite, vegemite, mayonnaise
Choose at least two and not more than four items per day from the restricted list, one of which should be from the dairy section and one from the meat section.
Always choose the freely allowed vegetable when available.
In home baking replace whole egg with two egg whites or with tablespoons of golden syrup.
A specially manufactured low protein egg replacer is available for those on restricted diets.
If you lose weight or feel hungry eat more white bread, fruit, homemade biscuits and homemade cakes, pasta, sugar and fizzy drinks.
The aims of this diet are to reduce the presence of fish-like odour by restricting choline and lecithin containing foods.
To ensure adequate intake of all essential nutrients.
To maintain appropriate weight.
This a copy of the diet sheet given to me by the dietitians looking after me for TMAU at UCL, London.
Please get tested for TMAU before following this diet sheet.
This diet sheet did not transfer well into the post. It's supposed to have three categories starting from the left, foods allowed freely, then restrict to 2-4 servings, and then the third category, avoid.
As you can see the transfer of the text didn't come out right. If you would like me to send it to another spot on the site let me know. Laura
Allowed freely
Less than 50mg choline / average serving Restrict to 2-4 servings / day
50-150mg choline / serving Avoid
More than 150mg choline / serving
Cereals and cereal products
Wheat flour (white), cornflour, custard powder, white bread, pitta bread, white rice, pasta, sago, tapioca, oatmeal, rolled oats Wholemeal flour, Wheatgerm, Wholegrain rice, cereals and breadss containing soya, nuts, wheatgerm or bran
Dairy products
Butter Whole milk 300ml / day
Cottage cheese 112g/day
Cheddar cheeses 60g/day Skimmed milk, soya milk, butter spreads and margarine with lecithin or choline added (check ingredients), Fermented & mature cheese e.g blue stilton, mature farmhouse cheddar and processed cheeses.
Eggs
Egg white Egg yolk and whole egg
Meat
Rabbit, bacon, pork sausages Chicken breast, turkey breast, pork loin, lamb, veal, ham, tongue Calf’s liver, ox liver, liver sausage, liver pate, kidney, sweetbreads, brain, beef
Fish and fish products Tuna in sandwich (45g), pilchards (3 canned), trout 150g, cod 120g, calamari (squid, octopus) 120g All fish including shell fish and fish products e.g. fish paste, fish pate, fish cakes, fish oils and products containing fish oils. Cod liver oil, oil capsules, Maxepa capsules
Vegetables
Sweet peppers, cucumber, celery, spinach, green beans, avocado, lettuce, leeks, sweet potato, green cabbage, carrot, brussel sprouts, white cabbage, sweetcorn Asparagus, cauliflower, iceberg lettuce, savoy cabbage, curli kale, turnip, tomato, mange tout, potato – limit to small servings only Peas, beans, lentils
Fruit
All fruits except those listed opposite Banana, apple
Sugars and confectionery
Sugar, icing sugar, glucose, jam, honey, golden syrup, treacle, marmalade, lollies and fruit based ice lollies, boiled sweets, chewing gum, chocolate if it contains no lecithin (E322) or choline Chocolate containing choline or lecithin (E322)
Beverages
Tea, herb tea, cordial, fizzy drinks, fruit squash, fruit juice, mineral water Coffee – limit to 1-2 cups of weak coffee a day Beer, bovril and drink containing yeast extract
Alcoholic drinks Limit all alcoholic drinks to small amounts and avoid binge drinking Beer
Miscellaneous
Salt, pepper, herbs, spices, chutney, mustard, vinegar, essences e.g. vanilla, baking powder, salad dressing (no egg or lecithin E322) Peanuts any food containing peanuts eg satays, peanut butter, yeast extracts e.g. marmite, vegemite, mayonnaise
Choose at least two and not more than four items per day from the restricted list, one of which should be from the dairy section and one from the meat section.
Always choose the freely allowed vegetable when available.
In home baking replace whole egg with two egg whites or with tablespoons of golden syrup.
A specially manufactured low protein egg replacer is available for those on restricted diets.
If you lose weight or feel hungry eat more white bread, fruit, homemade biscuits and homemade cakes, pasta, sugar and fizzy drinks.
The aims of this diet are to reduce the presence of fish-like odour by restricting choline and lecithin containing foods.
To ensure adequate intake of all essential nutrients.
To maintain appropriate weight.
This a copy of the diet sheet given to me by the dietitians looking after me for TMAU at UCL, London.
Please get tested for TMAU before following this diet sheet.
tmau diet sheet
Jimi:
I don't have a link to that, someone sent it to me. I have it on my computer. If there is a better more coherent way to transfer it to you, let me know. Laura
I don't have a link to that, someone sent it to me. I have it on my computer. If there is a better more coherent way to transfer it to you, let me know. Laura
-
Jimi Stein
- Site Admin
- Posts: 2212
- Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2004 8:00 am
- Gender:
- Contact:
Hi jimi, i'm not sure but i think that all food has choline. i think you just have to stay away from the ones that have a high content. i am also looking for a list of food/choline content. if anyone has info please post, most of the info on the tmau support group just talks of what works for certain individuals and is not generally specific. i think i will ask at the tmau support group cuz normally i just monitor thier posts and don't post there myself. also if anyone gets tested please post your results. i will complete my testing by mid may early june because of money restrictions. i think LJ is going to get tested before then, i am very interested in everyones results because we all have such similiar symptoms( and nothing we try helps).
-
Jimi Stein
- Site Admin
- Posts: 2212
- Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2004 8:00 am
- Gender:
- Contact:
Test for TMAU online
Does any one know if you can find a test online for TMAU? I would rather buy a TMAU test online and do it at home and mail the results in, than have to go and see a DR and pay for an office visit, It would be so uncomfortable for any of us to talk to a DR about our bad breath!
-
Guest
-
Jimi Stein
- Site Admin
- Posts: 2212
- Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2004 8:00 am
- Gender:
- Contact:
Re: TMAU
Secondary TMAU? It seems I hadn't done my homework after all, this one's new to me. I never thought I could have TMAU because I don't have any fishy smell, but this secondary TMAU.. Often when I've been wearing the same clothes for a day, t-shirts especially, and I take a shower and smell my clothes, they smell bad or a little like fecal. I'm fking screwed if I have secondary TMAU too. Goddamnit..LJ wrote:Jimi:
here's the link to the TMAU testing. http://www.hbri.org/TMAuria.htm
I just want to say that much of the info about TMAU is about the genetic disorder, which is associated more with the fishy odor. The secondary TMAU, doesn't have the same notoriety with fish, it's more likely to be fecal or just bad.
And I tried fooling with the diet part of it a while ago, but found that it didn't help. I gave it about a month. The problem is that not everyone responds to the diet. Nor the antibiotic, Flagyl, which is the drug of choice for the problem.
You are on a vegetarian diet, but you should check to see how much choline is in the things you eat. I'm sure you eat beans for protein, and they are high in choline. Bananas and apples are out. And wheat grains are out. You can find the list of foods for TMAU and check to see what you eat right now that is high in choline.
I think we will find that there are going to be people with this problem and it's pattern may have to do with the fecal odor. Others with bad breath that don't have that odor may need to find out what there odor is before undertaking the tests.
I've spent a lot of time on these bad breath boards and I think there will be people who come up positive for TMAU, but there will be others that have something different. There seem to be some patterns to this. LJ
Here is a list if anyone is still lokking...
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/D ... oline.html
I'm trying the diet now along with taking Odor Cleanse. I break the rules when I know I'm not going to see freinds for a few days. My hubby is immune to my bad breath, thank goodness! That is one of the reasons why I think it is TMAU. Lots of times family members of people with TMAU can't smell it because they are around it all the time.
Fo the most part I stoped eating eggs, soy, dairy, red meat, peanut butter, peanuts, fish and broccoli. I think it is helping, because when I do eat red meat or fish now I notice a strange taste in my mouth.
There are some things I am not willing to give up, like chocolate, but I figure just giving up the very high choline foods should lessen the strength og my bb.
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/D ... oline.html
I'm trying the diet now along with taking Odor Cleanse. I break the rules when I know I'm not going to see freinds for a few days. My hubby is immune to my bad breath, thank goodness! That is one of the reasons why I think it is TMAU. Lots of times family members of people with TMAU can't smell it because they are around it all the time.
Fo the most part I stoped eating eggs, soy, dairy, red meat, peanut butter, peanuts, fish and broccoli. I think it is helping, because when I do eat red meat or fish now I notice a strange taste in my mouth.
There are some things I am not willing to give up, like chocolate, but I figure just giving up the very high choline foods should lessen the strength og my bb.
thanks for the list, so how much do you think this diet reduces your poop breath?Here is a list if anyone is still lokking...
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/D ... oline.html
I'm trying the diet now along with taking Odor Cleanse. I break the rules when I know I'm not going to see freinds for a few days. My hubby is immune to my bad breath, thank goodness! That is one of the reasons why I think it is TMAU. Lots of times family members of people with TMAU can't smell it because they are around it all the time.
Fo the most part I stoped eating eggs, soy, dairy, red meat, peanut butter, peanuts, fish and broccoli. I think it is helping, because when I do eat red meat or fish now I notice a strange taste in my mouth.
There are some things I am not willing to give up, like chocolate, but I figure just giving up the very high choline foods should lessen the strength og my bb.
All I know is that it makes my actual poop smell a lot less offensive, so If my bb is coming from my digestive tract then it is helping. I have a hiatal hernia and gerd so there is a chance that this is my problem. I may not have tmau, but those foods with choline create a sulfer smell when being digested and if my valve where my esophagus and my stomach meet is always open, then the smell can escape through my mouth. People can always tell what I've eaten from far away ever since I've had the hh.
Discover the Bad Breath ebook Explore the ebook ↗
ADVERTISING OPPORTUNITIES
Advertise here ↗
Your banner. Right here.
Introduce your brand to the Bad Breath Halitosis community.