THE BAD BREATH COMMUNITY
A little more connection.
A little more connection.
A little less alone.
Real experiences. Open conversations. A place to feel understood.
THE BAD BREATH EBOOK Discover the ebook ↗
POWERED BY PEOPLE LIKE YOU
Donate to the forum ♡
Keep the conversation going.
Your donation helps cover hosting and keep this community available.
Any smokers here?
Any smokers here?
I've had bad breath all my life. It became chronic, then progressively worse, somewhere in my twenties. I smoke on average a pack a day and would like input from other halitosis sufferers who also smoke. Of course I've considered it might be due to my smoking, but I've quit before for days at a time yet my bad breath continued. But I will say my breath is less bad when I dont smoke. So, for you other smokers out there, what do you believe? Is the corelation there? As bad as smoking is for ones health, its one of the few reliefs I have in life. And that being so, it's doubly hard for someone like me to quit.
I guess it goes back to what we believe the source of our halitosis comes from. For me at times I'm convinced it orginates somewhere in my sinuses, but at other times, I think its somewhere in my throat or tongue. It's so hard to pinpoint. If it is my sinuses, then smoking could play a role in increased bacteria regeneration capabilities. I do feel that my sinuses are often congestioned.
Anyway, for the past several weeks, I've cut down to less than half what I usually smoke. The bad breath is still there, but then the congestion is there also. I guess what I really want to know is if anyone has cured their halitosis by quitting smoking? If I know for sure that quitting would cure me, it would be much easier to quit.
I guess it goes back to what we believe the source of our halitosis comes from. For me at times I'm convinced it orginates somewhere in my sinuses, but at other times, I think its somewhere in my throat or tongue. It's so hard to pinpoint. If it is my sinuses, then smoking could play a role in increased bacteria regeneration capabilities. I do feel that my sinuses are often congestioned.
Anyway, for the past several weeks, I've cut down to less than half what I usually smoke. The bad breath is still there, but then the congestion is there also. I guess what I really want to know is if anyone has cured their halitosis by quitting smoking? If I know for sure that quitting would cure me, it would be much easier to quit.
Hi there, I smoke around15 - 20 per day (don't smoke during the day at work though) - like you it is one of the few reliefs I have from this life of constant anxiety re: BB.
I did give up for 4 months a few years ago but my breath was the same, I'm working on giving up again as they are becoming so expensive here in Australia.
Not sure where my BB originates from but suspect sinus, PND or a 23year old root canal.
I did give up for 4 months a few years ago but my breath was the same, I'm working on giving up again as they are becoming so expensive here in Australia.
Not sure where my BB originates from but suspect sinus, PND or a 23year old root canal.
-
Ihatemylife
- Total Newbie
- Posts: 14
- Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:05 pm
You people should get stabbed with a fork.
You can't quit smoking then get the f**k out of here,U have halitosis cause U are stupid! and u deserve it!
I get smoke from u fu**ers everytime,so if I don't smoke I still get smoke in my lungs from the people next to me cause you have a vice...
I hate you people,you dont know what a sacrifice means.
Try eating fu**ing carrots and other veggies till you look so bad that people think you are a ghost/anemic or something...that's a sacrifice!
Try fu**ing your body with all meds hoping that you either get cured or die to stop the suffering.....
I swear to God,that one day I'm gonna start beating a smoker without any warning.
You can't quit smoking then get the f**k out of here,U have halitosis cause U are stupid! and u deserve it!
I get smoke from u fu**ers everytime,so if I don't smoke I still get smoke in my lungs from the people next to me cause you have a vice...
I hate you people,you dont know what a sacrifice means.
Try eating fu**ing carrots and other veggies till you look so bad that people think you are a ghost/anemic or something...that's a sacrifice!
Try fu**ing your body with all meds hoping that you either get cured or die to stop the suffering.....
I swear to God,that one day I'm gonna start beating a smoker without any warning.
Ignoring the idiot who posted after us, could you tell me if your bad breath also comes out of your nose when you exhale through your nose? Let's see if our symptoms are the same.Bazy wrote:Hi there, I smoke around15 - 20 per day (don't smoke during the day at work though) - like you it is one of the few reliefs I have from this life of constant anxiety re: BB.
I did give up for 4 months a few years ago but my breath was the same, I'm working on giving up again as they are becoming so expensive here in Australia.
Not sure where my BB originates from but suspect sinus, PND or a 23year old root canal.
-
halitosisux
- Moderator
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm
Coeric, when you consider the sacifices people have made just to get a HINT of what's causing their BB, and you cant even give up something as simple as smoking when you know you are all bunged up in your nose and suspect your sinuses - its pathetic
On the whole subject though, I dont think smoking makes much of a difference, except for the smell it leaves behind hardly being a pleasant one even for people who dont have BB, let alone for those who do. Smoking could definitely cause problems, with the sinuses or the lungs or other mucous membranes, with irriations that lead to increased production of mucus, which can lead to secondary bacterial problems - think about what aydinmur is trying to say, about ecology - and you are purposely polluting yourself by smoking.
On the whole subject though, I dont think smoking makes much of a difference, except for the smell it leaves behind hardly being a pleasant one even for people who dont have BB, let alone for those who do. Smoking could definitely cause problems, with the sinuses or the lungs or other mucous membranes, with irriations that lead to increased production of mucus, which can lead to secondary bacterial problems - think about what aydinmur is trying to say, about ecology - and you are purposely polluting yourself by smoking.
-
Jimi Stein
- Site Admin
- Posts: 2212
- Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2004 8:00 am
- Gender:
- Contact:
Hey man stop abusing people, if you hate us so much just piss away, we don't need youIhatemylife wrote:You people should get stabbed with a fork.
You can't quit smoking then get the f**k out of here,U have halitosis cause U are stupid! and u deserve it!
I get smoke from u fu**ers everytime,so if I don't smoke I still get smoke in my lungs from the people next to me cause you have a vice...
I hate you people,you dont know what a sacrifice means.
Try eating fu**ing carrots and other veggies till you look so bad that people think you are a ghost/anemic or something...that's a sacrifice!
Try fu**ing your body with all meds hoping that you either get cured or die to stop the suffering.....
I swear to God,that one day I'm gonna start beating a smoker without any warning.
-
Ihatemylife
- Total Newbie
- Posts: 14
- Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:05 pm
halitosisux got the messagehalitosisux wrote: Coeric, when you consider the sacifices people have made just to get a HINT of what's causing their BB, and you cant even give up something as simple as smoking when you know you are all bunged up in your nose and suspect your sinuses - its pathetic
Ofcourse Jimi acting like a 5 year old...Jimi wrote:Hey man stop abusing people, if you hate us so much just piss away, we don't need you
This people can't stop smoking and they want a cure righhhhtttttt and I am Michael Jackson.
To get a cure first try some good sense things like eliminating coffee,cigars,smelly food,etc(everything that gives a changed smell,taste) and then U try searching for help
Not sure I like all the name calling in this thread. It's hardly productive.
I smoke pot and when i'm drinking i smoke cigarettes too. Yesterday I did all three, and sat around a table at a pub with some friends chewing the fat. I did have gum in my mouth the majority of the time but even after intense conversations there were no reactions. Drives me insane because i'm not sure if my friends have just got used to it, are being nice or if i'm halitaphobic (i'm totally not).
Anyway, after cigarettes my mouth feels a bit more dry and like most smokers, leaves a bit of a funny taste. That said, when I go back inside after smoking and talk in someone face i get no negative responses apart from one friend who says to everyone "you stink" as a joke after they smoke.
I smoke pot and when i'm drinking i smoke cigarettes too. Yesterday I did all three, and sat around a table at a pub with some friends chewing the fat. I did have gum in my mouth the majority of the time but even after intense conversations there were no reactions. Drives me insane because i'm not sure if my friends have just got used to it, are being nice or if i'm halitaphobic (i'm totally not).
Anyway, after cigarettes my mouth feels a bit more dry and like most smokers, leaves a bit of a funny taste. That said, when I go back inside after smoking and talk in someone face i get no negative responses apart from one friend who says to everyone "you stink" as a joke after they smoke.
-
Jimi Stein
- Site Admin
- Posts: 2212
- Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2004 8:00 am
- Gender:
- Contact:
from what i noticed there might (!) be a correllation between stopping and starting all over smoking and the prduction of detrtitus in my tonsils or tonsil stones:
i quitted smoking some month ago, not sure if it improves my tonsils status but everytime i try smoking just 1 fukking cigarette, i seem to end up with a bad smell from my tonsil.
i did smoke many years and really enjoyed it but the chance to help my tonsil and to leave my bb thoughts behind did really encourage me quitting.
with that motivation it wasnt that hard for me to stop although i failed quitting with no reasonable cause many times before.
i quitted smoking some month ago, not sure if it improves my tonsils status but everytime i try smoking just 1 fukking cigarette, i seem to end up with a bad smell from my tonsil.
i did smoke many years and really enjoyed it but the chance to help my tonsil and to leave my bb thoughts behind did really encourage me quitting.
with that motivation it wasnt that hard for me to stop although i failed quitting with no reasonable cause many times before.
-
misshadenough
- Newbie
- Posts: 27
- Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 12:04 pm
hey i smoked for years ( i quit a months ago ) i didnt effect my bb at all ! smoking stinks but not in the same way halitosis does , a lot of my friends smoke and they dont have bb even tho they smell of cigarettes its a different smell like hooch said its the 'bacteria smell' ! so basically even tho its great i stopped it done nothing for my bb it even made me more aware of it since i had a greater sense of smell and taste
to "ihatemylife" and "halitosissux,"
if you are not a smoker, please just keep your ignorance to yourself ok? seriously, calling people pathetic for smoking and in the same breath admitting that smoking and halitosis aren't related just makes you look more dumb. all smokers here have a strong feeling that smoking and halitosis have no correlation. it is because of this that smokers here still smoke. all im trying to do is get more facts and insight from other smokers, not you idiots.
if you are not a smoker, please just keep your ignorance to yourself ok? seriously, calling people pathetic for smoking and in the same breath admitting that smoking and halitosis aren't related just makes you look more dumb. all smokers here have a strong feeling that smoking and halitosis have no correlation. it is because of this that smokers here still smoke. all im trying to do is get more facts and insight from other smokers, not you idiots.
Last edited by coeric on Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
im curious to know, does your bad breath come out through your nose also, or just your mouth when you exhale?misshadenough wrote:hey i smoked for years ( i quit a months ago ) i didnt effect my bb at all ! smoking stinks but not in the same way halitosis does , a lot of my friends smoke and they dont have bb even tho they smell of cigarettes its a different smell like hooch said its the 'bacteria smell' ! so basically even tho its great i stopped it done nothing for my bb it even made me more aware of it since i had a greater sense of smell and taste
- KeepTrying09
- Sheriff
- Posts: 463
- Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:14 pm
- Location: Thailand
Since this is a forum relating to bad breath and not smoking, i'll refrain from giving the whole people should stop smoking for their health speech.
I will give my opinion on how smoking can be related to bad breath though. Of course we all know there is a difference between smokers' breath and the bad breath that most of the members here suffer from. I also know a lot of people who smoke yet they do not have this type of bad breath. But I think what's important is that people realize that bad breath is a symptom of some other underlying condition, it is not a disease unto itself. Some people even believe that bad breath could be a symptom of a whole body issue, such as being in poor health and having a poor diet, etc.
Everyone in the world knows that smoking weakens your immune system and your overall health. If your immune system and health are poor, how exactly is your body supposed to heal itself from whatever is causing your bad breath? Sure, maybe there are some quick fixes out there that might temporarily relieve it, but if you keep destroying your health and weakening your immune system why would you think that whatever condition was causing your bad breath wouldn't just pop back up again at some later date?
I've said it before, sure there are a lot of people who smoke who don't have chronic bad breath. That doesn't mean that a person who has bad breath should use that as a reason to justify their smoking habit. All possible cures of bad breath should be explored, including quitting smoking.
I will give my opinion on how smoking can be related to bad breath though. Of course we all know there is a difference between smokers' breath and the bad breath that most of the members here suffer from. I also know a lot of people who smoke yet they do not have this type of bad breath. But I think what's important is that people realize that bad breath is a symptom of some other underlying condition, it is not a disease unto itself. Some people even believe that bad breath could be a symptom of a whole body issue, such as being in poor health and having a poor diet, etc.
Everyone in the world knows that smoking weakens your immune system and your overall health. If your immune system and health are poor, how exactly is your body supposed to heal itself from whatever is causing your bad breath? Sure, maybe there are some quick fixes out there that might temporarily relieve it, but if you keep destroying your health and weakening your immune system why would you think that whatever condition was causing your bad breath wouldn't just pop back up again at some later date?
I've said it before, sure there are a lot of people who smoke who don't have chronic bad breath. That doesn't mean that a person who has bad breath should use that as a reason to justify their smoking habit. All possible cures of bad breath should be explored, including quitting smoking.
Discover the Bad Breath ebook Explore the ebook ↗
ADVERTISING OPPORTUNITIES
Advertise here ↗
Your banner. Right here.
Introduce your brand to the Bad Breath Halitosis community.