THE BAD BREATH COMMUNITY

A little more connection.
A little less alone.

Real experiences. Open conversations. A place to feel understood.

Bad Breath ebook. Top solutions from the owner of badbreathhalitosis.com for your bad breath.THE BAD BREATH EBOOK Discover the ebook ↗
POWERED BY PEOPLE LIKE YOU

Keep the conversation going.

Your donation helps cover hosting and keep this community available.

Donate to the forum ♡

Is tongue scraping really that great?

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
Larc400
God
Posts: 791
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:27 pm

Is tongue scraping really that great?

Post by Larc400 »

I've been scraping for something like 10 years, and it seems the tongue stinks more and faster than ever after a clean.

Maybe years of scraping (I've always done it gently) has made the tongue geography more hospitable to bacteria #-o

Anyone have a similar experience?


My tongue stinks, that's for sure, but maybe there are better ways to clean it.
aues
Master
Posts: 200
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:44 am

Post by aues »

From my point of view an unscraped tongue of a healthy person shouldn't stink noteworthy and too much tongue scraping is bad for the tongue.

So watch out for the reason that causes your problem instead of giving yourself temporarily symptomatic fixes.
Phantasist
Sheriff
Posts: 477
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:32 pm

Post by Phantasist »

Tongue scraping by itself should not cause any damage as long as it is done gently. I have been scraping my tongue for over ten years to get the white coating off, and there have been no ill-effects.
But scraping does not remove the bacteria, or even all the coating in the crevices between the taste buds. I also brush my tongue with antibacterial toothpaste and a toothbrush with half-length bristles to get all the way in the back without gagging. Then I rinse with an antibacterial rinse. This does cut down on my BB quite a bit. The effect lasts about eight hours, but the coating on my tongue always returns, so this is not a cure, just a temporary help.
The hand we are dealt is fate. How we play the cards is free will.
Phantasist
Sheriff
Posts: 477
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:32 pm

Post by Phantasist »

Tongue scraping by itself should not cause any damage as long as it is done gently. I have been scraping my tongue for over ten years to get the white coating off, and there have been no ill-effects.
But scraping does not remove the bacteria, or even all the coating in the crevices between the taste buds. I also brush my tongue with antibacterial toothpaste and a toothbrush with half-length bristles to get all the way in the back without gagging. Then I rinse with an antibacterial rinse. This does cut down on my BB quite a bit. The effect lasts about eight hours, but the coating on my tongue always returns, so this is not a cure, just a temporary help.
The hand we are dealt is fate. How we play the cards is free will.
Larc400
God
Posts: 791
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:27 pm

Post by Larc400 »

Which paste and rinse do you use, Phantasist?
meowkity1
God
Posts: 799
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:33 pm

Post by meowkity1 »

I have found the tung brush and tug gel to be benificial. I was glad to see rite aid selling it when I ws there.
brightonguy
Advanced
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:49 am
Location: United Kingdom

Post by brightonguy »

I'm pretty sure that all the hectic things I was doing to my tongue only exacerbated my BB problem. I thought this might be the case because: (1) I'm removing non-odourous bacteria as well as odorous; (2) I'm replanting odorous bacteria on parts of my tongue that they never previously inhabited by virtue of gauzing / brushing the tongue. This is speculative, I'm not an oral microbiologist.
Phantasist
Sheriff
Posts: 477
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:32 pm

Post by Phantasist »

Larc400,
I use the following two products:
TheraBreath Plus toothpaste with OXYD-8 and Zinc-Rx
TheraBreath Plus oral rinse with OXYD-8 and Zinc-Rx

I understand that a number of people on this forum have said that TheraBreath doesn't work for them. We have to understand that there are different underlying causes of BB. Also, TheraBreath products are not a cure, even if your BB is due to an overgrowth of anaerobic bacteria, but it does appear to me that the oxygen and zinc combined with regular brushing and tongue scraping can bring my BB down to a managable level.
The hand we are dealt is fate. How we play the cards is free will.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
Bad Breath ebook. Top solutions from the owner of badbreathhalitosis.com for your bad breath.Discover the Bad Breath ebook Explore the ebook ↗
A LITTLE SUPPORT IN YOUR INBOX

Let’s stay
connected.

Sign up for free bad breath tips by email.

ADVERTISING OPPORTUNITIES

Your banner. Right here.

Introduce your brand to the Bad Breath Halitosis community.

Advertise here ↗