THE BAD BREATH COMMUNITY
A little more connection.
A little more connection.
A little less alone.
Real experiences. Open conversations. A place to feel understood.
THE BAD BREATH EBOOK Discover the ebook ↗
POWERED BY PEOPLE LIKE YOU
Donate to the forum ♡
Keep the conversation going.
Your donation helps cover hosting and keep this community available.
CAN IT BE FROM...THE LUNGS?
-
halitosisux
- Moderator
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm
Phantasist, we've been told on here by a doctor and expert on bad breath that IgA level doesnt play a significant enough of a role on overall bacterial levels or bacterial activity in the mouth regarding the production of odours.
If there was anything as glaringly obvious as IgA causing chronic BB, I think we'd surely know about it.
And How do we even know its an overgrowth? Every mouth, has 10 times more bacteria in it than there are people on the planet. If overgrowth was the reason then everyone would have BB. Its more likely bacterial over-activity than over-growth, or something chemically related to the metabolism of the bacteria itself. And then as Aydinmur has stated - every type of bacteria produces odourous compounds and is capable of becoming an odorogenic (whatever that word was) to the mouth. So, its either something biological like this going on in the mouthes of people with purely type-1 BB, (chemistry, hormones and immunological etc), or some KNOWN cause of BB that remains undiagnosed for that person.
And if IgA is behind it, then its a simple blood test to find out whether or not you can rule this out. Its all about ruling things out!
If there was anything as glaringly obvious as IgA causing chronic BB, I think we'd surely know about it.
And How do we even know its an overgrowth? Every mouth, has 10 times more bacteria in it than there are people on the planet. If overgrowth was the reason then everyone would have BB. Its more likely bacterial over-activity than over-growth, or something chemically related to the metabolism of the bacteria itself. And then as Aydinmur has stated - every type of bacteria produces odourous compounds and is capable of becoming an odorogenic (whatever that word was) to the mouth. So, its either something biological like this going on in the mouthes of people with purely type-1 BB, (chemistry, hormones and immunological etc), or some KNOWN cause of BB that remains undiagnosed for that person.
And if IgA is behind it, then its a simple blood test to find out whether or not you can rule this out. Its all about ruling things out!
-
halitosisux
- Moderator
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm
-
Phantasist
- Sheriff
- Posts: 477
- Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:32 pm
-
halitosisux
- Moderator
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm
Again the data are contradictory :
Certain diseases, such as selective IgA immunodeficiency,
should provide a unique model for the evaluation of the role of
slgA in the colonization of mutans streptococci and, more
generally, in oral health. However, even these results are
contradictory, and an increased, decreased, or lack of
correlation between IgA deficiency and caries susceptibility
has been reported (Tenovuo, 1998). Some studies, however,
show increasing levels of other antimicrobial factors in the
saliva of these patients (Tenovuo, 1998), thus supporting the
previous conclusion about the clinical significance of the entire
repertoire of antimicrobial components for oral health.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... o+1900+SGT.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... x/abstract
Certain diseases, such as selective IgA immunodeficiency,
should provide a unique model for the evaluation of the role of
slgA in the colonization of mutans streptococci and, more
generally, in oral health. However, even these results are
contradictory, and an increased, decreased, or lack of
correlation between IgA deficiency and caries susceptibility
has been reported (Tenovuo, 1998). Some studies, however,
show increasing levels of other antimicrobial factors in the
saliva of these patients (Tenovuo, 1998), thus supporting the
previous conclusion about the clinical significance of the entire
repertoire of antimicrobial components for oral health.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... o+1900+SGT.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... x/abstract
Last edited by sadman on Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks for the reply hal. I've been thinking about extracting my upper first molar because I usually get bad floss odour when cleaning the gum near it and thought it could be the cause of my bb. I just always hesitate with the extraction because of my other symptoms like PND and particularly those stones, which I thought would not be present if the bb is dental-caused. So thanks for your input.
Also, I have a bigger problem now. I started having bad odour coming out of my nose and I'm not sure what caused it. Any thoughts on this hal? I've already set an appointment with an ENT this weekend and will be asking a scan of my sinuses.
I never thought there would be anything worse than oral bad breath. Was I wrong.
Also, I have a bigger problem now. I started having bad odour coming out of my nose and I'm not sure what caused it. Any thoughts on this hal? I've already set an appointment with an ENT this weekend and will be asking a scan of my sinuses.
I never thought there would be anything worse than oral bad breath. Was I wrong.
-
halitosisux
- Moderator
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm
Smell from flossing is normal where food and debris might get trapped. This is not really the type of odour I'm referring to though. But if you can detect any odour on the end of your finger when you push around your gums, then this is what may indicate a problem that might cause your breath to smell bad.
I dont really know enough about your history to be able to advise you on the rest of your question. Try making a detailed description, including the type of nasal odour and how you are detecting it etc, along with the rest of your symptoms and what you've tried so far, such as sinus surgery and dental treatments.
I think tonsils stones are a direct result of having type-1 BB, whether that be due to sinus problems or dental problems, etc.
I dont really know enough about your history to be able to advise you on the rest of your question. Try making a detailed description, including the type of nasal odour and how you are detecting it etc, along with the rest of your symptoms and what you've tried so far, such as sinus surgery and dental treatments.
I think tonsils stones are a direct result of having type-1 BB, whether that be due to sinus problems or dental problems, etc.
Thanks hal. My only means of detection of the nasal odour is the reaction of people when I'm in the bus, or train, or an elevator. Though once in a while I get a whiff of a sewage smell.
I haven't had sinus surgery, I still have my tonsils, and I've already had all my wisdom teeth extracted. I really don't have any conspicuous symptoms except the PND and the tongue coating. When I noticed the nasal bb, I just started on a new brand of probiotics and the cleaning of the flap near the tonsil. I'm not sure if any of these caused it; but I've stopped them both.
I haven't had sinus surgery, I still have my tonsils, and I've already had all my wisdom teeth extracted. I really don't have any conspicuous symptoms except the PND and the tongue coating. When I noticed the nasal bb, I just started on a new brand of probiotics and the cleaning of the flap near the tonsil. I'm not sure if any of these caused it; but I've stopped them both.
Discover the Bad Breath ebook Explore the ebook ↗
ADVERTISING OPPORTUNITIES
Advertise here ↗
Your banner. Right here.
Introduce your brand to the Bad Breath Halitosis community.