why me? wrote: I have a "weird" raw feeling on the back of my tongue.
searching wrote:I've reduced the use of triclosan containing toothpaste to once daily, as my tongue was retaining a medicinal quality (after about two months of twice-daily use).
I have always had a fairly dry mouth, but wasn't ever particularly concerned about odour until about four weeks ago.
I had been using Colgate Total (with Triclosan) intermittently for months - at my dentists recommendation - but only got into the routine of brushing twice a day with it about six weeks ago. After about a fortnight I developed a persistent bitter taste in the back of my mouth, which is essentially the problem that I am now trying to solve.
At first, I didn't put it down to the Triclosan, and started cleaning my tongue more thoroughly, drinking more water, flossing, using an oral irrigator, etc. But to no avail. I have consulted two doctors: the first, a GP, fobbed me off, saying that I should just find something else to think about; the second, an ENT, told me not to worry because it is just a quality of life issue (of course, I explained that I hadn't expected to die from a persistent bitter taste, but that a condition impinging upon my quality of life still constituted, IMHO, a significant problem - naturally, he didn't give much of a shit).
Anyway, after reading this thread and researching a little about Triclosan online, I am curious as to whether my continued use of Colgate Total might be at the root of my troubles. You both ('
why me?' and '
searching') describe tongue issues following prolonged use of Colgate Total; could you please, if possible, describe a little more clearly how your tongues felt/tasted/smelled and if the '
raw feeling' or '
medicinal quality' eventually abated? Thanks.
My working hypothesis - potentially an ill-informed one - is that constant use of Triclosan has given rise to a resistant bacterial/fungal strain in my mouth, that is now dominant because the toothpaste has continued to kill off competing species. What I am hoping is that discontinuing Triclosan usage will, in time, allow other species to reassert themselves, restoring balance.
I hope that I will soon be able to solve my own (relatively minor) problem, and that other posters may be able to find some interest in what I have said. I can say, absolutely, that the past four weeks have instilled me with a sympathy for chronic halitosis sufferers that I will not quickly forget. I can imagine that it is an utterly soul destroying condition, not least because the medical community don't really seem too bothered about it, and other people generally take it - often wrongly - as a simple sign of poor personal hygiene. It seems to me that it would be a comparatively straightforward condition to combat successfully, if the scientific community put real effort into pursuing the root causes, rather than just treating the symptoms.
Additionally - perhaps of no interest to anybody - I intend to stop using all Triclosan and Flouride toothpastes, and move instead to Euthymol, which I have heard many good things about.