I've suffered from bad breath for at least seven years that I've known about, and probably more like my entire life judging by random off-the-cuff remarks I've mostly forgotten about. It's not as horrible as some of the problems I've heard; I'd call it mild to moderate. But it's still bad enough that my girlfriend told me about it 7 years ago. The wonderful lady that she is, she's lived with it and we've been married for 3 1/2 years now, but I owe it to her (and myself) to figure out how to fix it. So here I am!
Stuff I've tried:
- First stop was the dentist. Three straight semi-annual cleanings with two different dentists yielded little. They didn't seem to think much of it, although the first mentioned to keep the flaps near my wisdom teeth clean. Been brushing/flossing twice a day ever since.
- Next was a gastroenterologist. Had an abdominal sonogram which yielded nothing, and a bunch of blood work looking for Celiac (nope) and a ton of potential allergies (nope).
- Then went to a nutritionist, who used a series of breath tests to try to figure out if I had a food sensitivity. The fructose test turned up nothing, but the sucrose test supposedly came up positive. However, the way the test was conducted was sketchy at best, and I doubt it was ever properly calibrated. Bottom line, six months of cutting sugar out of my diet and taking a strong probiotic resulted in me losing 25 pounds, but no other benefits, and definitely not better breath.
- Next stop was about a year later, and that was an ENT. She did the camera-through-my-nose bit, told me I had a deviated septum but nothing to worry about, and that my tonsils looked "fine, but a little ratty." She seemed decent enough, and turned me on to nasal irrigation. Been doing it daily since, and have definitely noticed better breathing and a much better track record with colds, but (again) no noticeable improvement in my breath.
After that, I'm sorry to say that I got lazy with it again. However, since I found this site earlier tonight I've gotten a lot of hope, for a few reasons.
I should point out that the one time in seven years that my wife said the breath problem was gone was when I was on an antibiotic for a sinus infection. I'm about 90% sure it was Clarithromycin (Biaxin), but it could have been Amoxycillin. I'm not certain about that. Regardless, some posts here say that this points to something bacterial in nature, but I'm not sure where to look.
Some points:
- Poking into my flaps and leaving my finger there for a bit doesn't yield an odor when I take it out.
- I don't appear to have tonsil stones. Also, I can poke my tonsils with my finger and it yields no smell.
- I never taste anything too bad in my mouth. Sometimes a "morning taste" but the breath is bad regardless of how my mouth tastes.
- Saliva-on-the-hand test yields nothing, even after a few minutes.
- The breath problem exists through both my mouth and nose. At a given time, if my mouth is a 9-10, my nose will be around a 6-7.
- I have tried brushing my tongue but my gag reflex always made it difficult to do for a long period of time. I was doing it for some time but no improvement. It may be better now, it's easier to suppress the reflex now that I've been irrigating for almost a year.
- I have had a root canal on my upper-left first molar, and fillings in the same tooth in the other three corners of my mouth.
- My bottom wisdom teeth are just about completely in, and have been for some time. My top ones don't even seem to exist. They could be in there somewhere, but they neither penetrate out nor bother me.
From reading the site, I think in the next few days I'm going to try both the Waterpik and the Stage 2 irrigation. Frankly, the irrigation sounds like fun; I'm completely used to the Stage 1 at this point and didn't know it went farther.
I'll continue reading here and hope to make some progress, and I sincerely hope the rest of you find your solutions as well. If ANYONE has ANY suggestions, I'd be thrilled to hear them.
Glad my random Google search brought me here!
