THE BAD BREATH COMMUNITY

A little more connection.
A little less alone.

Real experiences. Open conversations. A place to feel understood.

Bad Breath ebook. Top solutions from the owner of badbreathhalitosis.com for your bad breath.THE BAD BREATH EBOOK Discover the ebook ↗
POWERED BY PEOPLE LIKE YOU

Keep the conversation going.

Your donation helps cover hosting and keep this community available.

Donate to the forum ♡

OralChroma // Anyone in SWEDEN or DENMARK :)?

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
Larc400
God
Posts: 791
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:27 pm

OralChroma // Anyone in SWEDEN or DENMARK :)?

Post by Larc400 »

I would like to buy one of these:

http://www.fisinc.co.jp/en/products/oralchroma.html

...they're really expensive, so I'm looking for someone who'd like to split the cost O:)
Last edited by Larc400 on Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
halitosisux
Moderator
Posts: 3266
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm

Post by halitosisux »

How much are they? 8-[
Larc400
God
Posts: 791
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:27 pm

Post by Larc400 »

Seven Grand 8-[ 8-[


Getting an OralChroma (or similar) is the only way to find out if a 'cure' really works though...
halitosisux
Moderator
Posts: 3266
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm

Post by halitosisux »

Holy **** :shock:

But, how much more useful would an oral chroma machine be than a halimeter for measuring your progress?

The oral chroma machine measures 3 chemicals, A halimeter can measure 2 of those - the two chemicals most commonly associated with BB.

Just looked on ebay and saw a halimeter going for $500

If there are other chemicals involved then only a full gas chromatography machine would detect and measure the quantity of everything in a sample of breath. It seems you can get those on ebay for even less than the oral chroma machine.

I'd love to play around with one of those.
Larc400
God
Posts: 791
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:27 pm

Post by Larc400 »

I have a feeling a proper gas chromatograph (as used in labs) costs a fortune..?

I'll check eBay right now though 8). A Halimeter might be enough, but I think someone said at some point that Dimethyl sulfide represents 'blood-borne halitosis' ie it doesn't originate orally... so it would be good to get a measurement of that one separately...
halitosisux
Moderator
Posts: 3266
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm

Post by halitosisux »

Lots of them on ebay, but I wouldn't have a clue what to go for.

One thing that might be worth trying is to have your breath analysed at a clinic which uses an oral chroma machine. Depending on the results, you would then know which gases you are producing and which machine would be appropriate for your needs.

I wonder how much a lab would charge to have your breath analysed by a full gas chromatograph. You could also then check to see how much trimethylamine is in your breath and how that compares to the kind of readings that someone with TMAU has. Maybe this is too simplistic though?
potty_mouth
Junior
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:20 am
Location: Brazil

Post by potty_mouth »

Hi All,
I would hold off buying one for now.
I'm a gas chromatography engineer and am currently helping Mebo with their breath test study. I'm in direct contact with Fisinc at the moment about unsatisfactory performance of the OralChroma. Last time I had the OralChroma test I asked the dentist's assistant to print out the Chromatogram (something a patient won't normally see). To the untrained eye (ie. a dental assistant or even dentist) this may not have looked wrong, but to someone in the industry, it was clear that the peaks which correspond to the three gases were not being correctly identified and hence incorrectly quantified.
This could be going on all over the world, since the software is clearly not good enough to detect the peaks if they move from the time it was last calibrated. I would urge anyone who wants to take one of these (expensive) tests to only do so if they agree to print out the chromatogram (response vs time plot) of the sample. If you're unsure how to interpret this plot, I'd be happy to help.
I will post the email chain with my chromatogram here soon.
Larc400
God
Posts: 791
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:27 pm

Post by Larc400 »

Thanks Pottymouth 8)

...but which device should I get, instead of the OralChroma..? Going for *one* test at a clinic isn't very useful. I need to test myself regularly, in order to find out what makes the breath better/worse...
User avatar
MissPretty
Advanced
Posts: 172
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:40 pm
Location: Sweden

Post by MissPretty »

I'm from Sweden but I do not have much money :cry:
potty_mouth
Junior
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:20 am
Location: Brazil

Post by potty_mouth »

Larc400 wrote:Thanks Pottymouth 8)

...but which device should I get, instead of the OralChroma..? Going for *one* test at a clinic isn't very useful. I need to test myself regularly, in order to find out what makes the breath better/worse...
I'm not saying don't ever get one. But I recommend you wait until I hear back from FIS Inc. If they can explain the issue with the OralChroma then I will let you know, and would be happy to help you set it up.
There is, of course, the halimeter as well, but this does not distinguish between gases. Finally, there is a new product called the "BB checker" which I am also waiting to receive details about.
Larc400
God
Posts: 791
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:27 pm

Post by Larc400 »

I would only buy one to measure any progress made. If the readings go down on those three gases, I guess I must be doing something right 8-[.

At the moment, any progress is just guesswork, by judging on others' reactions etc. Not very accurate. 8)
hope4now
Master
Posts: 222
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:32 am
Gender:

Post by hope4now »

Larc400 wrote:I would only buy one to measure any progress made. If the readings go down on those three gases, I guess I must be doing something right 8-[.

At the moment, any progress is just guesswork, by judging on others' reactions etc. Not very accurate. 8)
Yes. That's why a lot of us are going in circles. Reactions are way too subjective, especially if you're paranoid about your bb. We all need a cheap reliable testing device, even if it's something like disposable litmus pH paper that reacts to VSCs.
thanatos
God
Posts: 651
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:11 am
Gender:

Post by thanatos »

aydinmur wrote:
hope4now wrote:Yes. That's why a lot of us are going in circles. Reactions are way too subjective, especially if you're paranoid about your bb. We all need a cheap reliable testing device, even if it's something like disposable litmus pH paper that reacts to VSCs.

Perhaps I can help you with tell very easy and cheap method to detect sulfur compounds in your mouth.

No need halimeter, nor oral chroma.

Put 1 tea spoon of Lead Acetate into 1 glass distilled water.

Split your saliva in a clean glass. Put 2 drops LeadAcetat on you saliva.

You see white precipitates around lead if there are sulfurs in your saliva

I will post you few photos taken from a halitosis patient's saliva.
-M
Anyone?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
Bad Breath ebook. Top solutions from the owner of badbreathhalitosis.com for your bad breath.Discover the Bad Breath ebook Explore the ebook ↗
A LITTLE SUPPORT IN YOUR INBOX

Let’s stay
connected.

Sign up for free bad breath tips by email.

ADVERTISING OPPORTUNITIES

Your banner. Right here.

Introduce your brand to the Bad Breath Halitosis community.

Advertise here ↗