THE BAD BREATH COMMUNITY

A little more connection.
A little less alone.

Real experiences. Open conversations. A place to feel understood.

Bad Breath ebook. Top solutions from the owner of badbreathhalitosis.com for your bad breath.THE BAD BREATH EBOOK Discover the ebook ↗
POWERED BY PEOPLE LIKE YOU

Keep the conversation going.

Your donation helps cover hosting and keep this community available.

Donate to the forum ♡

Where does my BB emanate from?

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
paddy
Total Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:50 pm

Where does my BB emanate from?

Post by paddy »

I suffered from room filling halitosis for over 40 years. I've had plenty of evil comments in that time.

I've spent a fortune (£thousands) over the years trying to cure it and nothing has worked for any length of time. I saw a ENT specialist who said my tonsils were OK.

I've often thought the issue was more than just an oral issue and was down to a stomach issue and possibly blood borne and exhaled through the lungs. However the one thing that makes me question that hypothesis is that I have no nasal halitosis.

I can stand in a lift breathing through my nose and there is no reaction from others. However if I dare to speak then everybody starts covering their noses.

Like most people on this forum I spend lots of time brushing my teeth and gums, flossing and gargling with all sorts of potions but to no avail. I bet my regimen is better than most ordinary people but they probably think I don't bother.

So my question is this. Is it possible that the halitosis could be blood borne or emanate from the throat, oesophogus or stomach without it affecting my nasal breath? If not then where must it come from i.e. how far back in the mouth can it be without exiting through my nose?
halitosisux
Moderator
Posts: 3266
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm

Post by halitosisux »

Interesting post.

One possible explanation could be that it's your saliva that smells before it even finds it's way into your mouth, possibly from blood-borne causes. This could in theory cause your tongue to smell bad (presuming it does smell bad) and lead to BB from your mouth alone.

You could have an actual tooth that's releasing odour in some way. It's not very likely, but it is a possibility.

If your tongue does smell bad, then you may have a very bad case of type-1 BB, bad enough to cause lingering odours when you breathe out through your mouth.

Has anyone ever described what your bad breath smells like?
paddy
Total Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:50 pm

Where does my BB emanate from?

Post by paddy »

halitosisux wrote:Interesting post.

One possible explanation could be that it's your saliva that smells before it even finds it's way into your mouth, possibly from blood-borne causes. This could in theory cause your tongue to smell bad (presuming it does smell bad) and lead to BB from your mouth alone.

You could have an actual tooth that's releasing odour in some way. It's not very likely, but it is a possibility.

If your tongue does smell bad, then you may have a very bad case of type-1 BB, bad enough to cause lingering odours when you breathe out through your mouth.

Has anyone ever described what your bad breath smells like?
I'm fairly certain that it's not a tooth issue as I've asked the dentist if there's anything that could be a cause of BB.

I've also been to the London Fresh Breath Centre (Dr P Stemmer) but the idiots there told me that I didn't have a problem but they we're happy to get me to buy stuff from them and pay for teeth cleaning. Spent about £500 for no result.

I've never been told what my breath smells like and I haven't dared to ask. Funnily enough my wife doesn't complain about it but I've read that this can be down to habituation I.e. similar to why we don't smell our own breath.

I've been subject to many comments over the years mainly by people who won't say it to your face but who will make sure that you overhear them. Comments like "his breath would stop a train". I also know from people's reactions and of course I am always being offered mints and gum.

At this stage in my life I've developed a thick skin about this issue but it is still a debilitating disease as I avoid many social situations that would require me to talk to people indoors.

I'm constantly amazed that there isn't more real scientific research done into his problem. The arena is full of pseudo doctors who just want to sell you their crap products and who of course don't want you to get better because you'd stop buying from them.
halitosisux
Moderator
Posts: 3266
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm

Post by halitosisux »

Three different dentists told me there was nothing wrong in my mouth that could cause BB. I Found out for myself years later that there was. I wouldn't put too much trust in dentists when it comes to BB - to put it mildly.

I'm not sure about habituation with intra-oral BB. I think the reason why most people with BB don't know their breath stinks (until someone tells them of course) is for the simple fact that it's impossible to breathe out and in at the same time. Sometimes you can get a rebound though. I used to breathe into the corner of a room and then time it just right to breathe in sharply. I could always smell my BB that way. But I think self-habituation generally applies to odours coming from the lungs, as this will pass constantly though the nose and cause habituation.

Your wife is either very caring and pretending not to notice, or you don't really have BB (or it's intermittent at the times when people have told you or commented). I don't believe it's possible for another person to become habituated by another person's odours, unless by total coincidence they also happen to produce the same odours themselves - which is quite likely to be the case during BB meetups where most people who attend can't smell anyone else's BB.

It's also possible that some people can detect certain chemicals, and some can't. This is a genetic trait. I saw a science documentary once which showed this and explained how and why it can happen.

If you watch documentaries on TMAU, family members of those with TMAU never become habituated - so why should family members become habituated with any other types of odour?

You haven't said whether your tongue has strong odours. If you do then that would explain why it mainly comes out of your mouth and not your nose. This is generally the case in type-1 BB.
meowkity1
God
Posts: 799
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:33 pm

Post by meowkity1 »

I can usually sense my bb in front of fan or window on a cool day. It was winter that I really was assured i had a problem, breathing into my hand never worked for me
Jimi Stein
Site Admin
Posts: 2212
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2004 8:00 am
Gender:
Contact:

Post by Jimi Stein »

I have similar condition, smells much less through nose, but when I open mouth even a little bit, people freak out. But when i talk, they freak out even more.

I still think it is just tongue, bacterias on ma tongue, i doubt it could be blood bourne

I think blood bourne halitosis is a myth, I just dont believe it.
Saliva is clean when it is generated in salivary glands, but the tongue is all dirty

what you can do is use the gillete shaver, and shave off your tongue, it will bleed a bit but it is much better than scraper

i see improvement when using shaver
meowkity1
God
Posts: 799
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:33 pm

Post by meowkity1 »

Jimi, I actually use acid for facial chemical peels. I apply it with a cotton swab, let it sit for a minute. At first it makes your tongue white, but within two days it peels off and takes the white coating with it. It works very good if you have long white hairs. These white hairs are not a part of your normal papilla. I usually use a foot buffer or sand paper to peel it. I cant believe how fresh I am after doing it and I do it atleast once a month. I used to have really long white tongue hairs. I got mines from ebay for like $8. U have to be very careful not to let it drip down your throat.
sheilz
Total Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:44 am

Post by sheilz »

gud day every one..

im suffering from BB too.. i was just confused, before i can smell that i have bb, i can also smell it from my saliva (when i lick my skin)..
after using some of the home remedies like salt,baking soda, acv, changing diets,.. i tried to lick my skin again and smel it, there is no foul smell,... but when i was talking to somebody, he really cover hes nose and tried to keep a distance from me.. it's so embarrassing ... :oops: :oops:

whats the problem with me??

i havent tried to ask my dentist about this, but i do a tooth cleaning twice a year. my gum doesnt bleed at all. i floss and brush teeth regularly..
please helppp.. im married and my husband seems to keep distance from me also.. i guess my BB start 2 years ago..
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
Bad Breath ebook. Top solutions from the owner of badbreathhalitosis.com for your bad breath.Discover the Bad Breath ebook Explore the ebook ↗
A LITTLE SUPPORT IN YOUR INBOX

Let’s stay
connected.

Sign up for free bad breath tips by email.

ADVERTISING OPPORTUNITIES

Your banner. Right here.

Introduce your brand to the Bad Breath Halitosis community.

Advertise here ↗