THE BAD BREATH COMMUNITY

A little more connection.
A little less alone.

Real experiences. Open conversations. A place to feel understood.

Bad Breath ebook. Top solutions from the owner of badbreathhalitosis.com for your bad breath.THE BAD BREATH EBOOK Discover the ebook ↗
POWERED BY PEOPLE LIKE YOU

Keep the conversation going.

Your donation helps cover hosting and keep this community available.

Donate to the forum ♡

Metronidazole

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
joeP
Junior
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:24 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Metronidazole

Post by joeP »

"Metronidazole, another antibiotic which has proven to be effective specifically against anaerobes, is a prodrug where its antimicrobial properties are only effective in anaerobic environments. Once inside the cell, metronidazole is metabolized and partially reduced by ferredoxin, a major component involved in the anaerobic electron transport chain.[5] Metronidazole metabolites become incorporated into cellular DNA and form unstable molecules which inhibit protein synthesis ultimately killing the cell.[6] Because metronidazole requires a reduced environment unique to anaerobes, it is not effective against aerobic bacteria." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaerobic_ ... ic_Potency

- Has anyone successfully recovered from halitosis or had any improvement long term using Metronidazole?

- Any side effects that are known?

- Did the bacteria eventually become resistant to it?

- Is it better to use it as a mouth rinse or tablet?

I'm thinking of trying it out as I've read some have tried it and it worked for them temporarily.
Frantix
Newbie
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:41 am
Location: Germany

Post by Frantix »

I´ve been asking myself once more these days, why metronidazol didn´t heal me....while some others (not many though) found relief with it.
While taking it (7 days), I never had the feeling that it healed me completely, which made me think it might not fight the bacteria that´s causing my BB.

[Because metronidazole requires a reduced environment unique to anaerobes, it is not effective against aerobic bacteria.]

Just some days ago I read that a lot of bacteria, that settle onto your teeth are "aerobic" types. A lot are "facultative anearobic" which means they can survive in both environments. This could be the answer why Metro didn´t help me. I´m going to send in some smears of my oral cavity to a lab soon to get a clear analysis of what bacteria i have to deal with. I hope they will advice me some other antibiotics, that will really help me.
Taking antibiotics "blindly" is a dumb idea.
joeP
Junior
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:24 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Post by joeP »

@Frantix: Thanks for sharing your experience. Are you saying it helped not at all or temporarily only? Didn't it even reduce it short term?

Also how did you take it... as a mouth rinse or tab?
User avatar
Born To Suffer
Master
Posts: 219
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:59 pm

Post by Born To Suffer »

I took it and it worked temporarily for me.
Don't take it because a lot of people here have said it doesn't work.
The risk isn't worth it.
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can and wisdom to know the difference.
joeP
Junior
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:24 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Post by joeP »

@Born to Suffer: can you give me more details please? How long did it work for you, a week, two weeks? How long did you try it for? Did your BB get worse when you stopped or did you get back to same level as before? Did you take probiotics at the same time? Was it a Mouth rinse or tablet form?

I'm looking for at least temporary relief for 4 days .. as long as it doesn't get worse than before after I stop.

Thanks!!
User avatar
ikageorgian
Advanced
Posts: 197
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:21 pm
Location: Paris, France
Gender:
Contact:

Post by ikageorgian »

It wouldn't help.
User avatar
Born To Suffer
Master
Posts: 219
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:59 pm

Post by Born To Suffer »

I took it for 3 days, and it started working on the 1st dose. I took it at night, to avoid any unnecessary side effects during the day. I stopped because I felt my body is telling me that something isn't right.
But such powerful drugs is a bit dangerous imo.

I really think that it increased defence around the bacteria. But like I said such drugs isn't safe, and once you stop taking it, bb returns instantly.
Just be careful and take acuzole (brand name), get the drugs from a doc, don't buy online or otc.

Just don't take it, it's really not worth it, you could mess up the chemistry in your body.
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can and wisdom to know the difference.
joeP
Junior
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:24 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Post by joeP »

Thanks Born to Suffer.

Its really a last and temporary option...

i.e. if I don't get any diagnosis and no improvement using the 100s of other things that I'm doing right now.

I really hope it gives me a few days of relief and doesn't backfire...i.e. the BB becoming even worse than now...if that is even possible.
Peace
Junior
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:10 am

Post by Peace »

I took metro orally for 2 weeks. It completely removed smell from feces but had minimum impact on bb. I also took it directly in mouth and had some effect but definitely did not eradicate bb. I think an amoxillin nasal wash would work better and will target more relevant bacteria, but have not tried this yet.
SHITBREATH
Advanced
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:33 pm
Location: HELL

Post by SHITBREATH »

Antibiotics kill all the good bacteria that we have since we were born, what I remember so began my bb after the first time I got antibiotics.Don't take it only makes bb worse.
joeP
Junior
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:24 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Post by joeP »

After reading Frantix post, I started researching a bit.

Most of you probably know this already....

"Obligate aerobes are microorganisms that need oxygen to survive and die in its absence.
Examples: Bacillus anthracis, Clostridium tetani (tetanus) and Clostridium (Botulism) botulinum.

Facultative anaerobes can live in the presence or absence of oxygen, but prefer to use oxygen.
Examples: E. coli (hemorrhagic diarrhea), Staph (skin infections).

Microaerophilic bacteria can live in habitats that have lower levels of oxygen compared to the atmosphere.
Examples: H. pylori (peptic ulcers), Borrelia burgdorferi (Lyme disease).

Aerotolerant anaerobic bacteria do not have any use for oxygen but are not adversely affected by its presence.
Examples: Genus Lactobacillus (normally found in the gut, skin).

Now I was not able to find a detailed list of bacteria found on the average human tongue or ENT area. Any suggestions? Maybe I should order a book from Amazon?

@Frantix, best of luck with the lab test. Do they also give the amount/percentage of all bacteria found in the sample or just the type?
Last edited by joeP on Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar
ikageorgian
Advanced
Posts: 197
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:21 pm
Location: Paris, France
Gender:
Contact:

Post by ikageorgian »

Folks, do what I'm suggesting and you will be fine.
Frantix
Newbie
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:41 am
Location: Germany

Post by Frantix »

I took tabs. I can´t really tell. I mostly refer to the taste in my mouth, which in my eyes strongly correlates with my breath (at least i always thought this way). due to this I never had the feeling that it healed me completely while taking it. somekind of strange taste was always there. but thats a side effect a lot of AB have and its also mentioned in the package insert of metronidazol. Unfortunetely I didn´t asked someone else and I wasn´t a lot around people during this week. So I can´t really tell if I was really BB free. what I can tell is, that the licking tests (finger from back of tongue e.g) were negative during these days. or at least for the first days. even not directly after waking up in the morning...this might be a sure sign, that there couldn´t have been any BB...but i don´t know:/

Explanation attemps:
-metro didn´t kill all the bacteria. aerobic types e.g...and maybe they were causing the bad taste...and maybe even a smell?
-it was any innerbody sideeffect, that was causing the non-neutral taste.
-maybe my hole sense of taste is not working correct in general.

after i stopped I maybe had two days, that were ok, but actually the BB/taste came back emediately. at least after some days there was exactly the same BB/taste as before. not more or less intensive.

the lab will identify bacterial species, that are known for bad breath. as far as I know from others, who did an analysis, they point out the species that are most dominant and give you a concrete medical advice to go against them. I just know two cases yet, but for both of them they did not prescribed metronidazol.

maybe that´s of interest for you. a list from mel rosenberg from Tel Aviv:

certain bacteria that are correlated with bad breath:

Porphyromonas gingivalis (Kleinberg and Codipilly; Loesche and de Boever; Persson et al., 1990)

Fusobacterium nucleatum (Kleinberg and Codipilly; Persson et al., 1990 Niles and Gaffar)

Stomatococcus muci

Prevotella intermedia (Kleinberg and Codipilly)

Porphyromonas endodontalis (Loesche and de Boever)

Prevotella loescheii (Loesche and de Boever; Persson et al., 1990)

Hemophilus parainfluenzae (?) (Kleinberg and Codipilly)

Veillonella species (Kleinberg and Codipilly; Niles and Gaffar)

Peptostreptococcus anaerobius (Persson et al., 1990)

Eubacterium limosum (Persson et al., 1990);

Micros prevotii (Persson et al., 1990);

Treponema denticola (Persson et al., 1990; Chan; Loesche and de Boever)

Centipeda periodontii (Persson et al., 1990);

Eubacterium species (Persson et al., 1990);

Selemonad aremidis (Persson et al., 1990);

Bacteriodes species (Persson et al., 1990);

Klebsiella pneumoniae (Niles and Gaffar; Goldberg et al.)

Prevotella melaninogenica (Niles and Gaffar)

Citrobacter species (Goldberg et al.)

Fusobacterium periodonticum (Persson et al., 1990)

Enterobacter cloacae (Niles and Gaffar)

Stomatococcus mucilaginus (J. Greenman, M.A. El-Maaytah, M.G. Hartley and S. McAloon; Proteolytic activity of Stomatococcus mucilaginus; abstract presented at 2nd International Workshop on Oral Malodor, Leuven, Belgium, Oct. 19th-20th, 1995)
joeP
Junior
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:24 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Post by joeP »

Thanks for the info Frantix!

Now perhaps I can narrow down further on these based on the different types of smells and other characteristics and adjust my research accordingly.
User avatar
compor
Advanced
Posts: 177
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:54 pm
Gender:

Post by compor »

Metronidazole is definitely working for me. When I got called for a job interview, I started using it which worked immediately. We all know how bb changed us which took months or years. The absence of it, however, effects almost immediately. Since I didn't need to focus on concealing my bad breath or thinking about how and when people would react, I became a very confident person and got the job.

I kept using metronidazole for about a month which helped me become a social and active employee. I was able to observe that confident person. Alas, all good things must come to an end. I had to stop metronidazole cause my kidneys started to hurt and I felt dizzy most of the time.

What if we take 50mg x 2 a day, instead of 500mg x 2?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
Bad Breath ebook. Top solutions from the owner of badbreathhalitosis.com for your bad breath.Discover the Bad Breath ebook Explore the ebook ↗
A LITTLE SUPPORT IN YOUR INBOX

Let’s stay
connected.

Sign up for free bad breath tips by email.

ADVERTISING OPPORTUNITIES

Your banner. Right here.

Introduce your brand to the Bad Breath Halitosis community.

Advertise here ↗