THE BAD BREATH COMMUNITY
A little more connection.
A little more connection.
A little less alone.
Real experiences. Open conversations. A place to feel understood.
THE BAD BREATH EBOOK Discover the ebook ↗
POWERED BY PEOPLE LIKE YOU
Donate to the forum ♡
Keep the conversation going.
Your donation helps cover hosting and keep this community available.
Tonsillectomy/cryptolysis
Tonsillectomy/cryptolysis
Hello everyone. First time poster here. Been suffering from bad breath for nearly 20 years now. I'm pretty sure that it's coming from my cryptic tonsils as when I rub my finger there the smell is horrendous and I sometimes pick tonsil stones from there. I plucked up the courage to see my GP and he was pretty incredulous as I expected, but I requested that he refer me to an ENT specialist. When I saw the specialist it was a huge weight off my shoulders just to have someone listen and recognise my problem. I've never spoken to anyone about it. He confirmed that I had cryptic tonsils and suggested a tonsillectomy. He said he would request for me to have the surgery but I've heard nothing back yet. This was last November. I guess my question is does anybody know how long this should take? I'm thinking of just booking another appointment.
Also I've heard about cryptolysis which is supposed to be less invasive than tonsillectomy. Has anybody here had it? I've read threads here about tonsillectomy but not cryptolysis.
Thanks for taking the time to read. This is a great resource you have here and I'm determined to get this fixed.
Mac.
Also I've heard about cryptolysis which is supposed to be less invasive than tonsillectomy. Has anybody here had it? I've read threads here about tonsillectomy but not cryptolysis.
Thanks for taking the time to read. This is a great resource you have here and I'm determined to get this fixed.
Mac.
Hi there
Are you from the UK?
If so it's usually a 3-4 month waiting list on the NHS for the surgery. You should of heard by now your surgery date.
I'd give the ENT's secretary a call and see what the crack is.
Are you from the UK?
If so it's usually a 3-4 month waiting list on the NHS for the surgery. You should of heard by now your surgery date.
I'd give the ENT's secretary a call and see what the crack is.
Tonsillectomy - Check
Sinus CT Scan - All Clear - Check
Dentist Examination - "Gums very good" - Check
Endoscopy - Check - H Pylori Negative
Post nasal space cyst removed - Check
Wisdom Teeth Extraction - Check
Mouth Swab Clear - Check
Sinus CT Scan - All Clear - Check
Dentist Examination - "Gums very good" - Check
Endoscopy - Check - H Pylori Negative
Post nasal space cyst removed - Check
Wisdom Teeth Extraction - Check
Mouth Swab Clear - Check
-
Stankie
Thanks FedUp. Yeah I'm from the UK. Perhaps I'll call the secretary then.
That lyric is from 'Pretty girls make graves' isn't it?
Thanks Stankie. I've heard the efficacy is pretty good for cryptolysis. My thought process is that if by sealing them off there is one less place for bacteria to accumulate, this should go some way to reducing it if not eliminate it. The smell seems to be concentrated in that area aswell. There is a smell when I floss but nowhere near as bad as what comes from these horrible little crypts. It's good to get your opinion though.
That lyric is from 'Pretty girls make graves' isn't it?
Thanks Stankie. I've heard the efficacy is pretty good for cryptolysis. My thought process is that if by sealing them off there is one less place for bacteria to accumulate, this should go some way to reducing it if not eliminate it. The smell seems to be concentrated in that area aswell. There is a smell when I floss but nowhere near as bad as what comes from these horrible little crypts. It's good to get your opinion though.
Yes it is, I found that line very fitting in my circumstances lol
But definitely get in contact with them. I don't know why they haven't got you a date, to keep you waiting 4 months without a word is ridiculous.
But definitely get in contact with them. I don't know why they haven't got you a date, to keep you waiting 4 months without a word is ridiculous.
Tonsillectomy - Check
Sinus CT Scan - All Clear - Check
Dentist Examination - "Gums very good" - Check
Endoscopy - Check - H Pylori Negative
Post nasal space cyst removed - Check
Wisdom Teeth Extraction - Check
Mouth Swab Clear - Check
Sinus CT Scan - All Clear - Check
Dentist Examination - "Gums very good" - Check
Endoscopy - Check - H Pylori Negative
Post nasal space cyst removed - Check
Wisdom Teeth Extraction - Check
Mouth Swab Clear - Check
I know exactly how you feel! I have so much to offer but this has been holding me back for too long.
I've thought about going private. A consultation is about £200. I think tonsillectomy runs into the thousands. Perhaps cryptolysis is cheaper. The specialist did say that I might not be eligible for surgery because of cutbacks which frankly I find disgraceful.
I should say I get relief from the smell when I clean the affected area with hydrogen peroxide which makes me think I wouldn't suffer so badly if the crypts were sealed.
I've thought about going private. A consultation is about £200. I think tonsillectomy runs into the thousands. Perhaps cryptolysis is cheaper. The specialist did say that I might not be eligible for surgery because of cutbacks which frankly I find disgraceful.
I should say I get relief from the smell when I clean the affected area with hydrogen peroxide which makes me think I wouldn't suffer so badly if the crypts were sealed.
I went to see an ENT consultant privately which got the ball rolling. He offered me the tonsillectomy straight away but I had to wait a while longer since I wanted it done on the NHS. While all the time GP's would not refer me as my tonsils were "healthy".
Tonsillectomy - Check
Sinus CT Scan - All Clear - Check
Dentist Examination - "Gums very good" - Check
Endoscopy - Check - H Pylori Negative
Post nasal space cyst removed - Check
Wisdom Teeth Extraction - Check
Mouth Swab Clear - Check
Sinus CT Scan - All Clear - Check
Dentist Examination - "Gums very good" - Check
Endoscopy - Check - H Pylori Negative
Post nasal space cyst removed - Check
Wisdom Teeth Extraction - Check
Mouth Swab Clear - Check
My GP was the same. He said there was nothing wrong with my tonsils and when I asked to be referred his words were "I will, but I don't know what the specialist is going to say that's different."
I'm not a violent man but I felt like dragging him across his desk lol.
Anyway, I got in touch with the ENT secretary and they said they have very few beds free at the moment and I should hear something within the next four to six weeks.
So did you have cryptic tonsils aswell and did the surgery help you?
I'm not a violent man but I felt like dragging him across his desk lol.
Anyway, I got in touch with the ENT secretary and they said they have very few beds free at the moment and I should hear something within the next four to six weeks.
So did you have cryptic tonsils aswell and did the surgery help you?
I know I've thought about that too. I saw a video of the procedure on youtube where they picked out the stones and then used a device to suck out anything left in there. I'll post the link if I can find it again.Stankie wrote:How do they ensure the crypts are empty, before sealing them?
I wouldn't want a stone 'sealed' inside.
Discover the Bad Breath ebook Explore the ebook ↗
ADVERTISING OPPORTUNITIES
Advertise here ↗
Your banner. Right here.
Introduce your brand to the Bad Breath Halitosis community.