THE BAD BREATH COMMUNITY
A little more connection.
A little more connection.
A little less alone.
Real experiences. Open conversations. A place to feel understood.
THE BAD BREATH EBOOK Discover the ebook ↗
POWERED BY PEOPLE LIKE YOU
Donate to the forum ♡
Keep the conversation going.
Your donation helps cover hosting and keep this community available.
Finally the cause has been found by researchers. And I hope there is hope for all of us.
Finally the cause has been found by researchers. And I hope there is hope for all of us.
****************************************************************************************
Seriously, to all those who advise us to follow a certain dental hygiene, this one is more for you guys than us as we always knew it's not the oral or dental hygiene. Many of us suffering from this abnormality, follow a better oral and dental hygiene practices than those who don't suffer from this problem.
*****************************************************************************************
Researchers have identified a genetic cause for chronic bad breath, also called halitosis.
Here is the link
https://www.futurity.org/genes-chronic- ... h-1641552/
Researchers at Radboud University in the Netherlands have been studying families with chronic bad breath for several years. They found that these people produced a lot of sulfur-based compounds in their breath, especially methanethiol which has an unpleasant boiled-cabbage smell. Methanethiol is normally produced during digestion but broken down in the body.
Some bacteria can break down sulfur compounds. Based on bacterial genes, the team identified a human protein, selenium binding protein 1, which can convert methanethiol into other and compounds.
When the researchers looked at their human patients, they found that all had mutations in the SELENBP1 gene that produces this protein and they all had high levels of methanethiol and dimethyl sulfide in their blood. When blood reaches the lungs, these smelly sulfur compounds leave the blood and are exhaled in breath.
Similarly, mice with a genetic knockout of the mouse equivalent of SELENBP1 had low levels of the protein and high levels of methanethiol and other volatile sulfur compounds in their blood.
“While we didn’t put our noses up to the mice’s mouths, we did measure high amounts of some of these odor-forming chemicals in their blood, matching precisely what was found in the patients,” Lloyd says.
SELENBP1 has also been associated with some cancers in humans, although it is not clear how this works.
Currently, there is no treatment for this form of halitosis, but the genetic studies and a better understanding of sulfur metabolism might lead to treatments in the future.
The researchers report their results in the journal Nature Genetics.
Additional authors of the study are from UC Davis; Radboud University; the University of Groeningen; Universitätsklinikum Münster, Germany; Bonn-Rhein-Sieg University of Applied Sciences; University Hospital Freiburg, Germany; the University of Warwick, UK; and Hospital de Dona Estefânia, Lisbon, Portugal.
Source: UC Davis
Original Study DOI: 10.1038/s41588-017-0006-7
Seriously, to all those who advise us to follow a certain dental hygiene, this one is more for you guys than us as we always knew it's not the oral or dental hygiene. Many of us suffering from this abnormality, follow a better oral and dental hygiene practices than those who don't suffer from this problem.
*****************************************************************************************
Researchers have identified a genetic cause for chronic bad breath, also called halitosis.
Here is the link
https://www.futurity.org/genes-chronic- ... h-1641552/
Researchers at Radboud University in the Netherlands have been studying families with chronic bad breath for several years. They found that these people produced a lot of sulfur-based compounds in their breath, especially methanethiol which has an unpleasant boiled-cabbage smell. Methanethiol is normally produced during digestion but broken down in the body.
Some bacteria can break down sulfur compounds. Based on bacterial genes, the team identified a human protein, selenium binding protein 1, which can convert methanethiol into other and compounds.
When the researchers looked at their human patients, they found that all had mutations in the SELENBP1 gene that produces this protein and they all had high levels of methanethiol and dimethyl sulfide in their blood. When blood reaches the lungs, these smelly sulfur compounds leave the blood and are exhaled in breath.
Similarly, mice with a genetic knockout of the mouse equivalent of SELENBP1 had low levels of the protein and high levels of methanethiol and other volatile sulfur compounds in their blood.
“While we didn’t put our noses up to the mice’s mouths, we did measure high amounts of some of these odor-forming chemicals in their blood, matching precisely what was found in the patients,” Lloyd says.
SELENBP1 has also been associated with some cancers in humans, although it is not clear how this works.
Currently, there is no treatment for this form of halitosis, but the genetic studies and a better understanding of sulfur metabolism might lead to treatments in the future.
The researchers report their results in the journal Nature Genetics.
Additional authors of the study are from UC Davis; Radboud University; the University of Groeningen; Universitätsklinikum Münster, Germany; Bonn-Rhein-Sieg University of Applied Sciences; University Hospital Freiburg, Germany; the University of Warwick, UK; and Hospital de Dona Estefânia, Lisbon, Portugal.
Source: UC Davis
Original Study DOI: 10.1038/s41588-017-0006-7
-
StillHoping
- Sheriff
- Posts: 431
- Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 4:29 am
- Location: Calgary, AB
Re: Finally the cause has been found by researchers. And I hope there is hope for all of us.
I feel this might be the cause for those of us whose bb started around puberty, especially those with relatives that also have it
2012: Wisdoms remov
2015: Tonsils+adenoids remov
2017: TMAU1 & 2 Negative
2019: Internal biopsies normal
2019: Completed SIBO treatment
2020: DigEnzymes help but side effects
+ low fodmap/GERD diet also help
2015: Tonsils+adenoids remov
2017: TMAU1 & 2 Negative
2019: Internal biopsies normal
2019: Completed SIBO treatment
2020: DigEnzymes help but side effects
+ low fodmap/GERD diet also help
Re: Finally the cause has been found by researchers. And I hope there is hope for all of us.
I've also read this before. For this type of bb, there's still no testing available. And still under research and study. I think this is very rare, but maybe a few of us here have it especially the ones with other family members also having strong bb. And cannot be cured by all of the other tried treatments.
Re: Finally the cause has been found by researchers. And I hope there is hope for all of us.
I’m pretty sure this is what I have. Nothing works for me, and I have family members with bb.
Re: Finally the cause has been found by researchers. And I hope there is hope for all of us.
Same here.Jaim618 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:34 am I’m pretty sure this is what I have. Nothing works for me, and I have family members with bb.
I know it’s useless but I am thinking to try selenium pills (herbal supplement) once a day?
Re: Finally the cause has been found by researchers. And I hope there is hope for all of us.
Never heard of them! Let me know if it works
- terranpatriot
- Advanced
- Posts: 133
- Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:19 am
- Location: East Coast, USA
Re: Finally the cause has been found by researchers. And I hope there is hope for all of us.
The main symptom of this condition is "extraoral" bad breath from BOTH the nose and the mouth. The sulfur compounds are concentrated in the blood and exhaled through the lungs. If you have it only from your mouth, it's unlikely that this is the cause.
Re: Finally the cause has been found by researchers. And I hope there is hope for all of us.
I thought about it but the study does not seem to reveal if the nose exhale was tested or not?terranpatriot wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:59 am The main symptom of this condition is "extraoral" bad breath from BOTH the nose and the mouth. The sulfur compounds are concentrated in the blood and exhaled through the lungs. If you have it only from your mouth, it's unlikely that this is the cause.
What they focused was that the problem was common among other family members.
- terranpatriot
- Advanced
- Posts: 133
- Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:19 am
- Location: East Coast, USA
Re: Finally the cause has been found by researchers. And I hope there is hope for all of us.
https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/gene/SELENBP1#conditions
See under 'Health Conditions Related to Genetic Changes'
"Extraoral halitosis due to methanethiol oxidase deficiency (EHMTO): An autosomal recessive malodor condition characterized by extraoral blood-borne halitosis resulting from the accumulation of sulfur-containing metabolites. In extraoral blood-borne halitosis, malodorant compounds are carried to the lungs, where they enter the breath. Affected individuals have a cabbage-like breath odor, high levels of methanethiol and dimethylsulfide in oral and nasal breath, and elevated urinary excretion of dimethylsulfoxide in the absence of intake of dimethylsulfide-containing food or use of sulfur-containing medication, lower-gastrointestinal problems, and known metabolic defects, such as methionine adenosyltransferase deficiency and tyrosinemia. [MIM:618148]"
See under 'Health Conditions Related to Genetic Changes'
"Extraoral halitosis due to methanethiol oxidase deficiency (EHMTO): An autosomal recessive malodor condition characterized by extraoral blood-borne halitosis resulting from the accumulation of sulfur-containing metabolites. In extraoral blood-borne halitosis, malodorant compounds are carried to the lungs, where they enter the breath. Affected individuals have a cabbage-like breath odor, high levels of methanethiol and dimethylsulfide in oral and nasal breath, and elevated urinary excretion of dimethylsulfoxide in the absence of intake of dimethylsulfide-containing food or use of sulfur-containing medication, lower-gastrointestinal problems, and known metabolic defects, such as methionine adenosyltransferase deficiency and tyrosinemia. [MIM:618148]"
Re: Finally the cause has been found by researchers. And I hope there is hope for all of us.
Whatever happened when you tried the pills?
Re: Finally the cause has been found by researchers. And I hope there is hope for all of us.
I am taking Selenum with Vit E 200 mcg pills once a day.
Whatever happened when you tried the pills?
A couple of times I took ‘em twice a day.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009EA6F ... asin_title
I think there is some sort of a good change but I am not issuing any verdict at this point.
What I have noticed is that perhaps that bad taste in the mouth is reduced, and sometimes totally gone.
I will finish this bottle and keep testing myself till things are somewhat clear.
Re: Finally the cause has been found by researchers. And I hope there is hope for all of us.
Thanks for the update!KL123 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:13 pmI am taking Selenum with Vit E 200 mcg pills once a day.
Whatever happened when you tried the pills?
A couple of times I took ‘em twice a day.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009EA6F ... asin_title
I think there is some sort of a good change but I am not issuing any verdict at this point.
What I have noticed is that perhaps that bad taste in the mouth is reduced, and sometimes totally gone.
I will finish this bottle and keep testing myself till things are somewhat clear.
Re: Finally the cause has been found by researchers. And I hope there is hope for all of us.
Are you just guessing or do you have objective feedback from someone? Too much selenium is known to cause bad breath by the way.KL123 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:13 pmI am taking Selenum with Vit E 200 mcg pills once a day.
Whatever happened when you tried the pills?
A couple of times I took ‘em twice a day.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009EA6F ... asin_title
I think there is some sort of a good change but I am not issuing any verdict at this point.
What I have noticed is that perhaps that bad taste in the mouth is reduced, and sometimes totally gone.
I will finish this bottle and keep testing myself till things are somewhat clear.
Re: Finally the cause has been found by researchers. And I hope there is hope for all of us.
terranpatriot wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:59 am The main symptom of this condition is "extraoral" bad breath from BOTH the nose and the mouth. The sulfur compounds are concentrated in the blood and exhaled through the lungs. If you have it only from your mouth, it's unlikely that this is the cause.
Hi
I think this is what i have. I've done and tried everything just to eliminate bb. But nothings happen. I have bb from the both nose and mouth. Other people smell my bb even they are 3 meters away. And it kills everytime. Don't know what to do now. I lose hope. Cure pls
Re: Finally the cause has been found by researchers. And I hope there is hope for all of us.
Anyone from the Philippines?
Discover the Bad Breath ebook Explore the ebook ↗
ADVERTISING OPPORTUNITIES
Advertise here ↗
Your banner. Right here.
Introduce your brand to the Bad Breath Halitosis community.