THE BAD BREATH COMMUNITY
A little more connection.
A little more connection.
A little less alone.
Real experiences. Open conversations. A place to feel understood.
THE BAD BREATH EBOOK Discover the ebook ↗
POWERED BY PEOPLE LIKE YOU
Donate to the forum ♡
Keep the conversation going.
Your donation helps cover hosting and keep this community available.
WHAT DOES EVERYONE EAT?
Belle you don't go to the doctor to check your breath after you ate 3 tons of vitc and cleaned your tongue with sandpaper, of course he won't find anything. You need to go when following normal diet and normal dental hygiene (that is brushing teeth after every meal and nothing else, not even mouthwash).
Guys use this BMI calculator and post your BMIs:
http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/
Guys use this BMI calculator and post your BMIs:
http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/
I'm 160cm and 50kg. BMI is 20.1(middle of healthy range). I ate really unhealthy growing up and even up until February of this year. Since then, I've rarely eaten any junk, no deep fried anything, and only fruit, vegetables, and sometimes chicken. I also eat a bowl of oatmeal with lots of blueberries every morning. I never drink coffee, soda, juice anymore although I still have to have a "social" drink or two once in awhile.
to noptical
i hadnt used any mouthwash and didnt brush my teeth before i went. the thing is, i didnt know when i was going to get an appointment and it was last minute thing. im so desperate not to have bb that ive been trying everything suggested on this site. the ent has asked me to stop taking the vit c for a week then go and see him again, so ill try that.
plus im out on the pull these days so dont want to put any of the boys off!!!
belle
ps noptical, have you heard of this mouthwash he was suggesting?
i hadnt used any mouthwash and didnt brush my teeth before i went. the thing is, i didnt know when i was going to get an appointment and it was last minute thing. im so desperate not to have bb that ive been trying everything suggested on this site. the ent has asked me to stop taking the vit c for a week then go and see him again, so ill try that.
plus im out on the pull these days so dont want to put any of the boys off!!!
belle
ps noptical, have you heard of this mouthwash he was suggesting?
According to this survey, with about 100 bb sufferers completing it, the replies regarding 'Body type' looked like this:
Slender:
30%
Average:
38%
Athletic:
16%
Some extra baggage:
16%
As a group, I guess we seem slimmer than most..?
(Btw, my BMI = 20)
Slender:
30%
Average:
38%
Athletic:
16%
Some extra baggage:
16%
As a group, I guess we seem slimmer than most..?
(Btw, my BMI = 20)
nope, but I'm sure someone in this forum has used it at some point.Belle wrote:ps noptical, have you heard of this mouthwash he was suggesting?
Same for me.mike987 wrote:but seriously, it does seem to be a problem that smaller people get.. maybe i should see a gastro doctor.. i feel like i eat constantly but can't gain a pound
Our problem might have something to do with our metabolism.
Belle, I think it is wonderful you found a doctor who is willing to spend so much time with you and seems genuinely concerned about your problems. I wish more doctors would be like that. Working with us, no matter how long it takes or how clueless we are about the origin of my breath.
To add to this discussion, I am a healthy weight, but my metabolism is definitely not speed up by any means. I envy you guys who can eat practically anything and get away with it. That said, my bb is most likely from my tonsils, not from anything digestive...so you can probably throw me out of your equation.
To add to this discussion, I am a healthy weight, but my metabolism is definitely not speed up by any means. I envy you guys who can eat practically anything and get away with it. That said, my bb is most likely from my tonsils, not from anything digestive...so you can probably throw me out of your equation.
Twighlight, yeah he did seem to be concerned, whether that was because i was paying for the consultation,i dont know. He was a lovely doctor though so ill keep you updated about the results. i am also assuming that my bb comes from my tonsils but i dont have any stones and nothing is visible, it is sounds the same smell as people on this forum who say theirs is coming from their tonisls. How do you know yours is coming from your tonsils?
Belle
Belle
It's better to workout and gain some muscles. Muscles weigh more than fat. It's much healthier too. But of course I can understand a lot of you don't even care about your own health right now. You just want to not have bb and to be able to communicate like the people around you.noptical wrote:No its not. Your BMI is 17,7 which is less than 18,5 which makes you underweight. Go get something greasy to eat damnit.issy154 wrote:I'm 5' 3" and weigh 100 and have never dieted before.
Is this healthy?
There are many reasons which make it quite difficult to assume it was coming from anywhere else besides my tonsils.Belle wrote: How do you know yours is coming from your tonsils?
My palatines were small, but very cryptic. I never knew any of this until a month ago though. I never knew I even had tonsil stones until recently! Occasionally, throughout my life I recalled randomly choking on something every now and then. I used to think it was saliva or something else but I really never paid much attention to it. Now I wish I had.
Before you assume anything about your tonsils, you need to have at least one educated physician tell you what they think about them. You must also dedicate visits for specific reasons if you want the best evaluation. If you schedule an appointment and say "bad breath from tonsils" you are more likely to get an accurate evaluation of the state of your tonsils(even better would be "bb from adenoids" or "bb from palatines"). I've decided that it is almost pointless for any of us to simple say "bad breath" as a reason for our visit. Doctors become overwhelmed and immediately resort to the more common causes of bad breath. Since most of our cases of bb is not like other people's, it actually makes more sense the rarer the occurrence. Know what I mean?
So I had two doctors say my palatines were very cryptic. This was a red flag. And the first doctor said I had no adenoid tissue left, yet that was the most infected! This is why more than one doctor's visit, although costly, can be so important. The first doctor automatically assumed it was only my palatines. When I told him my bb came from my nose and mouth, it was then that he actually used an endoscope but I guess he didn't look too well. When I responded with "I have absolutely no adenoid tissue left?", he responded with "nope, most people adenoids deteriorate with age" and smiled thinking this would be good news to me. This doctor was actually one of the most helpful doctors I had, even with this discrepancy in mind. He was was very amiable and listened to me and ultimately gave me the go for the tonsillectomy. Luckily, he didn't perform the surgery, so I went looking for another doctor to do that.
At this point, I didn't know who would be best but I figured I would let "fate" take its way and see who had the soonest appointment available because I was so eager to get them removed. I called every doctor on the list he gave me, asking for the soonest possible appointment times, and it turned out the last one was the best one, even though the drive was a little further than the rest. It was Thursday and I was able to get in Monday of next week. This was much sooner than anyone else I had called so I gladly agreed. Turns out however that about an hour after the phone call, I got a call back saying someone canceled and I could come in tomorrow! I was apprehensive about everything at this point because I was becoming so used to being disappointed. Usually, I'm not one to look to far into anything, but all the signs were continually pointing me in the direction of getting a tonsillectomy and that this surgeon was a good choice.
When I told the surgeon my problem, he noted too that my tonsils were cryptic and without me having to say much more about my condition he used an endoscope to check my adenoid area. He didn't say anything about it specifically and gave me three options: do nothing, take antibiotics, get them tonsillectomy. I immediately opted for the last one and went and watched a very informative video on how the tonsils hold bacteria. I saw the adenoids in the video too and wanted to ask him about those, but when I went back into the other room for the details on the operation I saw that he had already written down "tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy". I asked him about it and he said he saw some crud back there. I am so thankful that this happened! You have no idea.
Turns out we went with the traditional method and my doc is a also a facial surgeon so he did an amazing job making sure everything was nice and smooth. I believe he even ended up taking out more tissue than just my tonsils. This showed me he really cared when I asked him if it wouldn't be any place where bacteria could hide after the surgery. I'm in a bit of pain now, but I feel it's worth it.
Anyway, I'm sorry that story probably contained way more info than you cared to know.
But to sum it up, why do I feel my bb is from my tonsils?
- Palatines cryptic and infected
- Adenoids cryptic and my doctor told my dad post-op in the waiting room that he found a bunch of "cottage cheese" looking stuff on them
- Breath at its worst day after tonsillectomy because of the crap inside my tonsils was finally released and spread (this is normal)
- Breath improving as each day passes, but won't know the overall results until the bacteria clears up in about 12 more days (the end of the antibiotic)
- Constant bb from both nose and mouth, unaffected by diet and pretty much everything else
- Collected bacteria on tongue every now and then with odor very similar to breath, when thoroughly cleaned however, odor remained but improved a little, bacteria believed to be harvested by tonsils and then spread by means of bodily fluids
- My mother has the same condition, cryptic tonsils are obviously genetically related as someone else on this forum who found relief after removing tonsils had a sister with the same problem. It also appears to be more sex-linked as neither of my brothers inherited the bb. That said, just because no one else in your family has bb, if doesn't mean if isn't from your tonsils. My mom had no one in her immediate family with bb like hers, but I later inherited it.
If you don't mind me asking,how did you know your bb came from your nose,and could it still fill up a room if you had your mouth closed.Twilight wrote:Belle wrote: How do you know yours is coming from your tonsils?When I told him my bb came from my nose and mouth, it was then that he actually used an endoscope but I guess he didn't look too well.
A few reasons.
1.People reactions and comments even when I didn't open my mouth.
2. I could smell it coming out of my nose better than my mouth. Not like a constant smell that I could smell normally, but a smell I could smell by deflection. There is a way to do this. You cover your nostrils with your thumb and bend the font downward so little air can escape. Then, you inhale strongly while doing so and most often you will detect an odor.
3. Oh, and of course I had others confirm this. That's kind of the clincher right there. Hehe.
It could fill up a small room with my mouth closed, yes.
1.People reactions and comments even when I didn't open my mouth.
2. I could smell it coming out of my nose better than my mouth. Not like a constant smell that I could smell normally, but a smell I could smell by deflection. There is a way to do this. You cover your nostrils with your thumb and bend the font downward so little air can escape. Then, you inhale strongly while doing so and most often you will detect an odor.
3. Oh, and of course I had others confirm this. That's kind of the clincher right there. Hehe.
It could fill up a small room with my mouth closed, yes.
I play field hockey and do track. That should be enough, dammit.Busted wrote:It's better to workout and gain some muscles. Muscles weigh more than fat. It's much healthier too. But of course I can understand a lot of you don't even care about your own health right now. You just want to not have bb and to be able to communicate like the people around you.noptical wrote:No its not. Your BMI is 17,7 which is less than 18,5 which makes you underweight. Go get something greasy to eat damnit.issy154 wrote:I'm 5' 3" and weigh 100 and have never dieted before.
Is this healthy?
Yea, issy says it's enough damn it.issy154 wrote:I play field hockey and do track. That should be enough, dammit.Busted wrote:It's better to workout and gain some muscles. Muscles weigh more than fat. It's much healthier too. But of course I can understand a lot of you don't even care about your own health right now. You just want to not have bb and to be able to communicate like the people around you.noptical wrote: No its not. Your BMI is 17,7 which is less than 18,5 which makes you underweight. Go get something greasy to eat damnit.
Besides I find it hard to believe that your bb would just go away after you gained some weight.
Discover the Bad Breath ebook Explore the ebook ↗
ADVERTISING OPPORTUNITIES
Advertise here ↗
Your banner. Right here.
Introduce your brand to the Bad Breath Halitosis community.