THE BAD BREATH COMMUNITY
A little more connection.
A little more connection.
A little less alone.
Real experiences. Open conversations. A place to feel understood.
THE BAD BREATH EBOOK Discover the ebook ↗
POWERED BY PEOPLE LIKE YOU
Donate to the forum ♡
Keep the conversation going.
Your donation helps cover hosting and keep this community available.
What kind of job do you have?
What kind of job do you have?
I haven't been able to keep a job for long. I've been working office jobs and just can't bear the reaction from people in the office about my problem. Now I am looking for a new job again, I really don't know what to do. So I am just wondering what kind of jobs do you guys have? Is it as difficult for you as for me? Do you guys have any suggestions about finding a job? Perhaps a job that doesn't require direct contact with other people?
Ailright then let's be more specific. They grab their nose just like people do when they smell something bad. They use a finger to guard one nostril or two. They slightly rub one side of their nostril and then exhale out of their nose a couple of times like they want to get the smell out of their nose. Clearly it is a reaction that a lot of people make. Also I don't think anyone of this forum is really doubting if he/she has chronic halitosis or not, so I don't think they need any evidence anymore to proof if they have it or not.
Whether it has something to do with your bb or the person just has a itchy nose for instance. That's just something you have to judge for yourself. It's not really hard to judge usually they just don't make one reaction. They back off for instance or turn their heads away and then hold one finger to guard their nose. Of course if you're not saying somethin and the person is scratching his nose, it's pretty obvious it has nothing to do with you bb. Unless like some of you described have a smell coming from your nose. It might be harder.
But when you say chronic halitosis it means you pretty much suffer from it 24/7. Even when it's better than usual it's still bad, so I don't find it weird that when you're saying something, other people react to your bb all the time. I can make a whole list of reactions and combination of reactions, but that's a waste of time. We're here because we all want to find a cure, not because we are not sure if we suffer from chronic halitosis or not.
The description "touching their nose" is indeed pretty vague. But I'm pretty sure they mean more than they just touch their nose. They just don't have time to explain it in detail.
Whether it has something to do with your bb or the person just has a itchy nose for instance. That's just something you have to judge for yourself. It's not really hard to judge usually they just don't make one reaction. They back off for instance or turn their heads away and then hold one finger to guard their nose. Of course if you're not saying somethin and the person is scratching his nose, it's pretty obvious it has nothing to do with you bb. Unless like some of you described have a smell coming from your nose. It might be harder.
But when you say chronic halitosis it means you pretty much suffer from it 24/7. Even when it's better than usual it's still bad, so I don't find it weird that when you're saying something, other people react to your bb all the time. I can make a whole list of reactions and combination of reactions, but that's a waste of time. We're here because we all want to find a cure, not because we are not sure if we suffer from chronic halitosis or not.
The description "touching their nose" is indeed pretty vague. But I'm pretty sure they mean more than they just touch their nose. They just don't have time to explain it in detail.
I am an auditor for a large company,
So I am constantly having to travel to client's offices to meet and do my job. Plus I am sort of new so I am constantly interacting with my coworkers and bosses.
I try to ask questions trhough the interoffice email or phone system, but almost always the person I am talking with will eventually say, "bring the file to me I dont understand what youre asking, or OK I'll come right over" Everytime, I swear, everytime that happens I get the chill down my spine and I want to yell "Noooooo" I mean there is a reason why i am calling you on the phone even though you are 6 feet away!
Man it is stressful, anyway there is good news in that my company has started to implement work-at-home and my boss has said I should be eligible for it in a couple months if the trial phase goes well.
So I have that to look forward to. But yeah, if you want an office job most likely you will not be able to avoid people. But at least get a job where you only have to deal with the office people and not have to constantly meet new people like I do.
BTW busted, thanks for explaining "touching your nose". Although, I do believe there are people probably even on this site that have "the phobia" I think we shoudl all communicate under the assumption that we all have it, or well get nowhere. And I hate having to explain all the reactions, I mean its painful enough just saying "they touchtheir noses".
So I am constantly having to travel to client's offices to meet and do my job. Plus I am sort of new so I am constantly interacting with my coworkers and bosses.
I try to ask questions trhough the interoffice email or phone system, but almost always the person I am talking with will eventually say, "bring the file to me I dont understand what youre asking, or OK I'll come right over" Everytime, I swear, everytime that happens I get the chill down my spine and I want to yell "Noooooo" I mean there is a reason why i am calling you on the phone even though you are 6 feet away!
Man it is stressful, anyway there is good news in that my company has started to implement work-at-home and my boss has said I should be eligible for it in a couple months if the trial phase goes well.
So I have that to look forward to. But yeah, if you want an office job most likely you will not be able to avoid people. But at least get a job where you only have to deal with the office people and not have to constantly meet new people like I do.
BTW busted, thanks for explaining "touching your nose". Although, I do believe there are people probably even on this site that have "the phobia" I think we shoudl all communicate under the assumption that we all have it, or well get nowhere. And I hate having to explain all the reactions, I mean its painful enough just saying "they touchtheir noses".
All I'm saying is that if we're going to look for such subtle signs it will make us overly paranoid. At least personally, I'm trying to ignore anything that's not a definite reaction = someone saying "wow what's that smell?" or someone pulling their head back suddenly when you speak. I'm just trying to battle paranoia. Okay if someone actually holds their nose, that sounds like a sure sign, but touching their nose -- people do it when they're anxious or whatever, like when scratching their neck or whatever 
I also thought that most were overreacting to what they thought were reactions to bb but I will tell you that most here are disgusted when anyone questions what the see.
I guess mine wasnt too mad until about the last month but the reactions are truly amazing sometimes. I turn behind me and the person is looking like what is that shitty smell and 5 meters in front someone is wrikling their nose and as I walk around people are now sneezing. I read those symptoms here first and thought "these people are exaggeratting". Until it starts happening to you, you wouldnt believe it either.
But I gotta say that it really drives me nuts to hear people say they are imagining or exaggerating the reaction cause man that like telling a rape victim that she enjoyed the sex. It just dont add up.
I guess mine wasnt too mad until about the last month but the reactions are truly amazing sometimes. I turn behind me and the person is looking like what is that shitty smell and 5 meters in front someone is wrikling their nose and as I walk around people are now sneezing. I read those symptoms here first and thought "these people are exaggeratting". Until it starts happening to you, you wouldnt believe it either.
But I gotta say that it really drives me nuts to hear people say they are imagining or exaggerating the reaction cause man that like telling a rape victim that she enjoyed the sex. It just dont add up.
I also think I pay way too much attention for all the reactions I get, but I can't help it. I'm thinkin about sayin something and then close my eyes and cover my ears for a few seconds. So I can't see the reaction and if the other person coughs I can't hear it. And if not I'll just keep my mouth shut. But wait I can't unless there was another way to communicate. I was thinkin of sign language but not everyone understands this unfortenately and I'll have to start from almost 0
But ya know I saw these group of friends who were all communicating with deaf-mute language. I think there were two who could speak. But ya know in their case it was safe to open their mouth and laugh. For me, definately not. 
Do you think we should all train ourselves to a level where we don't care? You laugh out loud and everyone around you is grabbing their noses. But you don't care. I don't think I would ever be able to do that, but now that I think of it, I do have a right to laugh for once right. I mean why should I always think about them all the time. Ya know that would be so funny. The woman on this forum who doesn't care about others, she's funny as hell.
Do you think we should all train ourselves to a level where we don't care? You laugh out loud and everyone around you is grabbing their noses. But you don't care. I don't think I would ever be able to do that, but now that I think of it, I do have a right to laugh for once right. I mean why should I always think about them all the time. Ya know that would be so funny. The woman on this forum who doesn't care about others, she's funny as hell.
I have to agree with Larc400 on this nose touching business! I have suffered from bb for years. My sister touches her nose 100 times a day! She says she doesn't smell anything. I didn't know if I should believe her till my daughter (13y/0) was around her for a few weeks without me and she volunteered (I didn't ask) that Gee, Aunt Angie sure touches her nose all the time. There was also an incident where we had a parent teacher conference and when we were done I said My breath must have been bad by the time we got to your science teacher cause she sure was touching her nose alot. My daughter said Mom she touches her nose everyday all hour long. Actually my breath probably was bad cause it always is but that is not why she was touching her nose. She probably has allergies like millions of people. I've had little kids burst out What smells? and they won't even touch their nose at all. Some do some don't. So, over the years I have realized you can't really go by that unless you know that person's daily habits. The best thing to do is ignore it and go on and ask yourself Is there anything I can do at this very moment to fix this? The answer is No, so go on about your business and quit being hard on yourself! Anyway that's the conculsion I have come to!!Larc400 wrote:If I ever again hear "touching their nose" as any kind of evidence of bb, I think I'm gonna have to kill someone![]()
People touch their noses for 1000s of reasons. Hth
Bye,
Susie
the bottom line is if you know your breath stinks... your BREATH STINKS.
Maybe they touched their nose for some other reason, but your breath still stinks and you know it.
Anyway, maybe we should start using another example. Like when people back off 3-4 feet as soon as you open your mouth. What will be the denial/excuse then? "People always back off 4 feet... it's normal... has nothing to do with BB.". Whatever. If you know you have BB 24/7/365, then you are accustomed to people's behavior when they are around you. If you aren't aware after years... then I question your intelligence.
Maybe they touched their nose for some other reason, but your breath still stinks and you know it.
Anyway, maybe we should start using another example. Like when people back off 3-4 feet as soon as you open your mouth. What will be the denial/excuse then? "People always back off 4 feet... it's normal... has nothing to do with BB.". Whatever. If you know you have BB 24/7/365, then you are accustomed to people's behavior when they are around you. If you aren't aware after years... then I question your intelligence.
Thanks Elliot.
I never saw the sense of this argument if someone knows their breath stinks...from people on this site. If you found this site then your breath probably smell like shit and thats why you are here. If mine didnt trust with all the other forums on the internet there are more interesting topics to discuss.
Like Elliot said, the new standard is that people back waaay up when I talk. Like 5 to 6 feet.
As soon as we start validating everyone's concerns, we can move forward to real discussions.
I never saw the sense of this argument if someone knows their breath stinks...from people on this site. If you found this site then your breath probably smell like shit and thats why you are here. If mine didnt trust with all the other forums on the internet there are more interesting topics to discuss.
Like Elliot said, the new standard is that people back waaay up when I talk. Like 5 to 6 feet.
As soon as we start validating everyone's concerns, we can move forward to real discussions.
Hehe, it's pretty weird that people come here and are not even sure if they suffer from chronic halitosis or not. It's like they woke up one day and decided to torture themselves with thoughts of them having bb or not.elliott wrote:the bottom line is if you know your breath stinks... your BREATH STINKS.
Maybe they touched their nose for some other reason, but your breath still stinks and you know it.
Anyway, maybe we should start using another example. Like when people back off 3-4 feet as soon as you open your mouth. What will be the denial/excuse then? "People always back off 4 feet... it's normal... has nothing to do with BB.". Whatever. If you know you have BB 24/7/365, then you are accustomed to people's behavior when they are around you. If you aren't aware after years... then I question your intelligence.
I think that if someone really suffers from halitophobia, that person had some mental problems in the first place (e.g. people who suffer from Anorexia nervosa) and not as a result of years of suffering from chronic halitosis.
Btw I think we all need to stop thinkin that if someone touches his nose, if it has something to do with our breath or not. I think it's actually pretty pointless. You can't read his mind. You don't need any confirmation cause you pretty much know you have it. That's why you're here, to find some relief and to talk about it.
And most important everyone reacts different. I have seen people not react at all. I thought I didn't have bb anymore but as soon as I talked to someone else I would see the usual reactions again.
Now the thing that bothers me the most is "Do they mind?". I sometimes feel like I'm very rude. This person is trying to have a conversation with me and I keep attacking this person wih my bb.
Last edited by Busted on Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Great job - lots of money that is useless...
By the way I have a nice paying job so money is no problem but isnt it funny that these are the times you really find out that money cant make you happy...
I had an appt with the dr and once he started talking about people who THINK their breath smells but doesnt, I told the ENT that I had 5 thousand dollars to give him in cash if he could make this nightmare go away. I had it in my pocket too and when I started to pull it out, he told me to put it back and then he really knew I was serious.... but still didnt have any real answers.
I really want to pay someone lots of money to make this go away but am starting to think this is what is meant by money cant make you happy....so much money...so little happiness... I may have to live with this forever.
I had an appt with the dr and once he started talking about people who THINK their breath smells but doesnt, I told the ENT that I had 5 thousand dollars to give him in cash if he could make this nightmare go away. I had it in my pocket too and when I started to pull it out, he told me to put it back and then he really knew I was serious.... but still didnt have any real answers.
I really want to pay someone lots of money to make this go away but am starting to think this is what is meant by money cant make you happy....so much money...so little happiness... I may have to live with this forever.
Discover the Bad Breath ebook Explore the ebook ↗
ADVERTISING OPPORTUNITIES
Advertise here ↗
Your banner. Right here.
Introduce your brand to the Bad Breath Halitosis community.