THE BAD BREATH COMMUNITY

A little more connection.
A little less alone.

Real experiences. Open conversations. A place to feel understood.

Bad Breath ebook. Top solutions from the owner of badbreathhalitosis.com for your bad breath.THE BAD BREATH EBOOK Discover the ebook ↗
POWERED BY PEOPLE LIKE YOU

Keep the conversation going.

Your donation helps cover hosting and keep this community available.

Donate to the forum ♡

Barrett's Esophagus - This is what I think I have

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
HappyDays
Advanced
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:11 pm

Barrett's Esophagus - This is what I think I have

Post by HappyDays »

Esophagitis, Barrett's Esophagus, and Cancer of the Esophagus

Esophagitis, or inflammation of the esophagus, is a major complication of GERD. If GERD is left untreated, esophagitis can cause bleeding, ulcers, and chronic scarring. This scarring can narrow the esophagus, eventually interfering with your ability to swallow. People with esophagitis need to be checked for the development of Barrett's esophagus.

Barrett's esophagus results when the body replaces normal cells in the esophagus with cells similar to those inside the intestine. The presence of these cells is a precursor of adenocarcinoma, a particularly deadly kind of cancer. Developing Barrett's esophagus does not mean you will get cancer, but your chances of getting cancer will be greatly increased. Your doctor will want to check you on a regular basis in order to detect any cancer in its early stages.

Asthma and Other Complications

Pulmonary, or lung, damage is a major complication of GERD. GERD can lead to the formation of scar tissue in the lungs. It can also cause the onset of adult asthma. As many as eight out of every 10 people with asthma may have GERD. Some cases of adult-onset asthma, especially in those with no history of allergies or childhood asthma, can be traced to GERD. Treating GERD may help avoid the onset of asthma and sometimes can relieve asthma.

GERD can also lead to chronic hoarseness, a chronic cough, sleep disturbance, laryngitis, halitosis (bad breath), growths on the vocal cords, a feeling as if there is a lump in your throat, earaches, and dental problems.

What Causes It?

When you swallow, a muscular valve known as the lower esophageal sphincter, or LES, which is located where the esophagus joins the stomach, opens to let food into your stomach and then closes to keep your stomach contents from coming back up. The major cause of GERD is that this valve that does not function the way it should -- either because it is weak or because it relaxes inappropriately. Hiatal hernia is a common cause of a weak LES.

Diet and lifestyle also play a role. Fatty foods, mints, chocolate, alcohol, coffee, and tea all relax the LES. So does nicotine, from cigarettes or chewing tobacco. Hormonal changes associated with pregnancy can temporarily weaken the LES, too. Obesity can lead to GERD because the pressure of extra weight pushing on your abdomen may "overpower" the LES, allowing reflux to occur. The same mechanism explains reflux that may occur when you bend over at the waist.
Larc400
God
Posts: 791
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:27 pm

Post by Larc400 »

Interesting 8) ! What other symptoms, except for bb, do you have..?
HappyDays
Advanced
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:11 pm

Post by HappyDays »

pnd, hoarseness, dry mouth, feeling of air passing my throat area without any filter which makes it feel raw. GERD and IBS have been confirmed. My throat has been a huge concern so when I found this it all makes sense with my symptoms. Air just comes from my lungs or wherever without any "filtering" which makes it so dry. Dry patchy feeling always in throat, trouble swallowing.

And Lemon water is one of the most alkalizing substances.

Most of my research stems directly from my symptoms that most havent complained about here. I research my symptoms and then the answer usually just pops up like I was diagnosed with GERD but I always knew that mine wasnt anything basic, more advanced then GERD and then I read about chronic GERD and how halitosis plays a part in it.

I knew my symptoms before I was sure of anything else. I am getting very close to my issue and I am sure that lots of people have the same issues that cause chronic halitosis where there is almost no relief no matter what. I plan on contacting the same ENT to speak about this new discovery.
elliott
God
Posts: 791
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:51 pm

Post by elliott »

Happy... I have all those same symptoms. Go ahead and tell the ENT, and lets see if he's any more informed than the 3 doctors that I have seen. As far as I know ENTs simply are not aware of what to do to resolve those symptoms. You'll do a few tests, endoscopies... they prescribe you some antis that won't work, and you'll be back to square one.

Unfortunately I don't think there IS any knowledege on the subject in regards to our specific problems. They understand sinusitis, PND, tonsils... but when it comes down to relieving those inflicted with BB as a result of a combination of ALL the symptoms, doctors go blank.

We just need to continue to compare and contrast our own symptoms, and perhaps talk in detail about our diet / medical histories and find our own common links. If/when we find a common denominator, we can focus on it.
HappyDays
Advanced
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:11 pm

Lets Talk Elliot

Post by HappyDays »

Is it possible that I can call you or you call me if you are in the US?

We can beat this if we put our knowledge and experiences together cause we all have the same problem.

Man I am here for the long haul to help everyone but really to beat this that can be beat.

Elliot let me know if I can call you or if you want to contact me. Sometimes this site is too slow for information so we need to discuss together.

I invite anyone else who is serious about this to join our live conversation if possible.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
Bad Breath ebook. Top solutions from the owner of badbreathhalitosis.com for your bad breath.Discover the Bad Breath ebook Explore the ebook ↗
A LITTLE SUPPORT IN YOUR INBOX

Let’s stay
connected.

Sign up for free bad breath tips by email.

ADVERTISING OPPORTUNITIES

Your banner. Right here.

Introduce your brand to the Bad Breath Halitosis community.

Advertise here ↗