THE BAD BREATH COMMUNITY
A little more connection.
A little more connection.
A little less alone.
Real experiences. Open conversations. A place to feel understood.
THE BAD BREATH EBOOK Discover the ebook ↗
POWERED BY PEOPLE LIKE YOU
Donate to the forum ♡
Keep the conversation going.
Your donation helps cover hosting and keep this community available.
Tonsillectomy diary
-
FullOfHope
- Newbie
- Posts: 28
- Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:01 pm
- Location: UK
I had the bb from my nose at night while trying to get to sleep as I sleep with my mouth closed and breathe thru my nose. When I told my GP this he looked at me as if I was crazy.
I've also had the bb smell from my nose night and day since my op and I assume this is the rotting flesh where my tonsils were.
I'm telling you this so that you don't get alarmed and think the surgery has made things worse (like I did). Chris confirmed the rotting flesh smell for me.
Also please remember (and I think anyone who's had a tonsillectomy will endorse this) for the first three days after surgery you'll wonder what all the fuss was about and then from day four to day seven you will know what it was all about!.
I'm now day 8 - I have no sour taste in my mouth, if my breath stays the same as it is tonight I'll be over the moon and I've just eaten some chicken for tea!!
WHAT A DIFFERENCE A DAY MAKES. Whatever it takes it is worth it.
If we don't correspond again before your op I sincerely wish you well and let us all know how you get on.
I've also had the bb smell from my nose night and day since my op and I assume this is the rotting flesh where my tonsils were.
I'm telling you this so that you don't get alarmed and think the surgery has made things worse (like I did). Chris confirmed the rotting flesh smell for me.
Also please remember (and I think anyone who's had a tonsillectomy will endorse this) for the first three days after surgery you'll wonder what all the fuss was about and then from day four to day seven you will know what it was all about!.
I'm now day 8 - I have no sour taste in my mouth, if my breath stays the same as it is tonight I'll be over the moon and I've just eaten some chicken for tea!!
WHAT A DIFFERENCE A DAY MAKES. Whatever it takes it is worth it.
If we don't correspond again before your op I sincerely wish you well and let us all know how you get on.
I think I might have a bigger problem than tonsil stones. my bb comes from my nose very strong. I don't even have to open my mouth at all. this doesn't make me feel great about the surgery. no one that has had this surgery had bb coming from there nose strongly that I know of. maybe my adenoids are infected also. I have the super strong taste of stones in my mouth but like I said its stating to look like this surgery really helps those that only have it coming from their mouth.
can anyone say if adenoids would make bb come thru nose? I have been tryng to be positive about this but have had no true evidence that anyone that has bb coming from the nose has had good results from the surgery. I will have the doctor check adenoids and remove them if they are there. loks like I maybe going back to the drawing board.](./images/smilies/eusa_wall.gif)
can anyone say if adenoids would make bb come thru nose? I have been tryng to be positive about this but have had no true evidence that anyone that has bb coming from the nose has had good results from the surgery. I will have the doctor check adenoids and remove them if they are there. loks like I maybe going back to the drawing board.
-
FullOfHope
- Newbie
- Posts: 28
- Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:01 pm
- Location: UK
I really feel for you HDays. It's like I said, sometimes there is more than one cause but by addressing the tonsils you are at least eliminating one of them. Don't know about adenoids I thought they shrivelled up as you got older.
Has your consultant checked right up your nose and into the sinuses with an 'endoscopic laryngo-pha' (copied that from my notes, but it's a long tube with a light or something on the end of it).
The only person I've ever known have a really bad awful smell from his nose was my husband. It was unbearable and I could smell it while he was breathing with his mouth closed. This was (copying from notes again) a 'pyogenic granuloma' which was I believe to be like a small polyp growth in his nasal passage somewhere. The smell was putrid and that's why I asked if your consultant has checked with the long tube thing. He had it removed and the smell went away instantly.
If your consultant is good he/she should be able to see if anything else could be causing the problem.
Best of luck.
Has your consultant checked right up your nose and into the sinuses with an 'endoscopic laryngo-pha' (copied that from my notes, but it's a long tube with a light or something on the end of it).
The only person I've ever known have a really bad awful smell from his nose was my husband. It was unbearable and I could smell it while he was breathing with his mouth closed. This was (copying from notes again) a 'pyogenic granuloma' which was I believe to be like a small polyp growth in his nasal passage somewhere. The smell was putrid and that's why I asked if your consultant has checked with the long tube thing. He had it removed and the smell went away instantly.
If your consultant is good he/she should be able to see if anything else could be causing the problem.
Best of luck.
HappyDays; Yes, putrid tissue in what remains of your adenoids will make your breath,especially thru your nose,STINK. Don't let your Dr casually "write off" the adenoids. Ask him/her to carefully examine them and to actually SMELL the probe they used for foul odor. Drs will say your adenouids have shriveled up, but there still can be crypts/crevices where stuff can stay lodged (for years). Good Luck! Be Persistent!
I will check with the surgeon on monday when I have my operation. I will ask him to check everything and remove whatever he deems a problem. I hope to have all of this done at once.
this seems like such a dream sometimes. I can't even smell what I am trying to fight. I can't wait til I have beat this shitty breath cause I am going to laugh my ass off.
note to tonsils and stones: you have less than 5 days and then party's over and whatever else is causing me this grief I am coming for you next.
this seems like such a dream sometimes. I can't even smell what I am trying to fight. I can't wait til I have beat this shitty breath cause I am going to laugh my ass off.
note to tonsils and stones: you have less than 5 days and then party's over and whatever else is causing me this grief I am coming for you next.
FullOfHope wrote: Also please remember (and I think anyone who's had a tonsillectomy will endorse this) for the first three days after surgery you'll wonder what all the fuss was about and then from day four to day seven you will know what it was all about!.
I know exactly what you mean, i was eating rice crispies in the hospital last Wed, by Friday night i was crying with pain and was on a liquid diet for the next few days after that. I hadnt looked at my throat until that point, when i didn i nearly had a heart attack, it was all white, i wasnt prepared for that. I can only assume this is the scabbing that everybody talks about?? its definately the most painfull stage anyway. im happy to say that today is the first day i feel kind of normal again and that i only have small patches of white on my throat.
can anybody shed some light on what happens with the void that has been left in your thorat, i dont know if my tonsils were extremly big but the holes left in my throat are big. food is getting stuck inthem every time i eat and its painfull.
is this going to mean yet another tool required in the bathroom for poking food out of the holes?
I've decided to go to Bumrungrad Hospital in Bangkok to get my tonsils out but am worried about the recovery now. Since I'm flying all the way over there from Canada, I've decided to make a trip out of it. How bad is the recovery? Will I be able to lay on a beach and go for a swim 4 days after or is that just absolutely ridiculous since I'll be in a lot of discomfort and drugged up? I would like to fly out of Bangkok four days after surgery to Phuket for a few more days before I head to Vietnam. Will I be okay on the plane? Sorry if these questions sound stupid but I'm leaving in two weeks and have to plan my trip now. Thanks everyone!
Hey hopefull
i had my tonsils removed last tuesday the 11th, i had them removed mid morning and after the op i was doped up with morphene so i pretty much slept till about ten o clock at night. i was throwing up a bit because of the drugs after that, i got home the next afternoon and was on co-codomal which made me drousy too, so i was in my bed Wednesday and Thursday, i lay on the sofa Friday. Friday night was when the pain really started, its was my throat, my ears and up into my head. I think this is when the scabbing starts, im not entirely sure? I went out for a couple of hours on Saturday to get shopping but was tired. The evenings are the most difficult for me, it seems to be more painfull when you are tired.
I feel better today and will go back to work tomorrow. I dont normally take painkillers for anything, the only time i take paracetamol is when i have tonsilitis. I think the co-codomal (which have been a god send) has made me feel sleepy and maybe a bit sick too.
Obviously everybody heals at different rates and you cannot compare your recovery with anybody elses but i think the general consensus is that day 4 to day 7 is the most difficult. There is no denying that it is painfull and the only answer for me was to take painkillers and sleep. there is no way i could have been lying on a beach. you might me made of stronger stuff than me though.
if i were you i would plan as little as possible and see how you feel, get plenty of painkillers they help big time!!
belle
i had my tonsils removed last tuesday the 11th, i had them removed mid morning and after the op i was doped up with morphene so i pretty much slept till about ten o clock at night. i was throwing up a bit because of the drugs after that, i got home the next afternoon and was on co-codomal which made me drousy too, so i was in my bed Wednesday and Thursday, i lay on the sofa Friday. Friday night was when the pain really started, its was my throat, my ears and up into my head. I think this is when the scabbing starts, im not entirely sure? I went out for a couple of hours on Saturday to get shopping but was tired. The evenings are the most difficult for me, it seems to be more painfull when you are tired.
I feel better today and will go back to work tomorrow. I dont normally take painkillers for anything, the only time i take paracetamol is when i have tonsilitis. I think the co-codomal (which have been a god send) has made me feel sleepy and maybe a bit sick too.
Obviously everybody heals at different rates and you cannot compare your recovery with anybody elses but i think the general consensus is that day 4 to day 7 is the most difficult. There is no denying that it is painfull and the only answer for me was to take painkillers and sleep. there is no way i could have been lying on a beach. you might me made of stronger stuff than me though.
if i were you i would plan as little as possible and see how you feel, get plenty of painkillers they help big time!!
belle
-
FullOfHope
- Newbie
- Posts: 28
- Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:01 pm
- Location: UK
Hopefull I think you're brave! Belles account is pretty spot-on.
Had my tonsils out 10th September, one day before Belle. This was the second time for me and from what i've experienced twice and from what i've read, the general recovery pattern seems to be the same.
Had them out midday, ate a sandwich in the hospital at 4pm and went home at 5pm same day.
Days 1 to 3 ate normalish food, very tired and took co-codamol for the pain and Voltarol (Diclofenac) for the swelling. The co-codamol makes you drowsy but Belle is right, they're a godsend and you need to take them.
Days 4 to 7 worse. Painkillers were working during the day but by 5 - 6 o'clock in the evening the pain really kicks in to the extent where it was too painful to eat. Pain in in the throat, jaws, neck, ears and gives you a 'bursting' headache.
Day 7 couldn't eat or speak - too painful.
Day 8 felt like a different person, most of the pain had gone - amazing in just one day.
Felt very tired and kept having to take naps until day 8 and didn't want to know about doing much at all.
Whatever you do don't go swimming. I can't imagine you will want to but you must avoid any situation whereby you could get an infection. Stay away from crowds.
The very best of luck to you and let us know how you get on.
Had my tonsils out 10th September, one day before Belle. This was the second time for me and from what i've experienced twice and from what i've read, the general recovery pattern seems to be the same.
Had them out midday, ate a sandwich in the hospital at 4pm and went home at 5pm same day.
Days 1 to 3 ate normalish food, very tired and took co-codamol for the pain and Voltarol (Diclofenac) for the swelling. The co-codamol makes you drowsy but Belle is right, they're a godsend and you need to take them.
Days 4 to 7 worse. Painkillers were working during the day but by 5 - 6 o'clock in the evening the pain really kicks in to the extent where it was too painful to eat. Pain in in the throat, jaws, neck, ears and gives you a 'bursting' headache.
Day 7 couldn't eat or speak - too painful.
Day 8 felt like a different person, most of the pain had gone - amazing in just one day.
Felt very tired and kept having to take naps until day 8 and didn't want to know about doing much at all.
Whatever you do don't go swimming. I can't imagine you will want to but you must avoid any situation whereby you could get an infection. Stay away from crowds.
The very best of luck to you and let us know how you get on.
-
FullOfHope
- Newbie
- Posts: 28
- Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:01 pm
- Location: UK
I didn't have holes as such Belle, mine seems to be a more gradual excision over quite a large area. Anyway, the area around where the tonsils were will still be swollen and will need time to settle. You'll probably find that it evens out when the swelling goes down. Fingers crossed!can anybody shed some light on what happens with the void that has been left in your thorat, i dont know if my tonsils were extremly big but the holes left in my throat are big. food is getting stuck inthem every time i eat and its painfull.
Last edited by FullOfHope on Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
FullOfHope
- Newbie
- Posts: 28
- Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:01 pm
- Location: UK
Hi Chris how' s the recovery going? I've got a bit of a setback today with a sour taste and slightly sour breath. Just hope this goes and it's all still part of the healing process. Have you continued to improve?Chris28 wrote:Yeah I'm good fullofhope![]()
My breath is much improved and everyday the white coating is reduced. Today there is a little on each side..
-
FullOfHope
- Newbie
- Posts: 28
- Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:01 pm
- Location: UK
First one was 30 years ago and I noticed all the old symptoms start up again. Had a look down my throat, saw they were growing back and went into panic mode. Everyone I've spoken to said it was impossible but my consultant said it can happen but its very rare. Just hope it cures me and I don't have to start looking for another cause!Belle wrote:Fullofhope
can i ask why you have had 2 operations?
Belle
[/quote]
First one was 30 years ago and I noticed all the old symptoms start up again. Had a look down my throat, saw they were growing back and went into panic mode. Everyone I've spoken to said it was impossible but my consultant said it can happen but its very rare. Just hope it cures me and I don't have to start looking for another cause![/quote]
Oh my God, nightmare, i dont think i could go through it again. good on you, hope it cures you. I have just had the pleasure of my son telling me that i stink, i can only pray its coming from all the white stuff on my throat.
First one was 30 years ago and I noticed all the old symptoms start up again. Had a look down my throat, saw they were growing back and went into panic mode. Everyone I've spoken to said it was impossible but my consultant said it can happen but its very rare. Just hope it cures me and I don't have to start looking for another cause![/quote]
Oh my God, nightmare, i dont think i could go through it again. good on you, hope it cures you. I have just had the pleasure of my son telling me that i stink, i can only pray its coming from all the white stuff on my throat.
Thanks for the replies. This is my inital plan and I hope I'll be able to stick with it. I just turned 26 and hope that some of my remaining youth will pull me through this experience a little sooner. My itinerary will look something like this:
Day 1-surgery, overnight at hospital
Day 2,3,4-rest in hotel, maybe short excursions if I feel up to it(probably not)
Day 5-fly to Phuket, sleep on beach
Day 6,7-more resting on beach
Day 8-fly to Hanoi
The good thing is that my mom will be with me so she can do all the talking along with taking care of me. If it were up to me, I'd be getting this surgery done at home and resting at home but that's just not possible. I leave October 1st and am getting a little apprehensive and scared. Thank goodness my mom is coming.
It sounds like day 8 is when things start to get a little better for most people. Hopefully that will happen with me too.
Day 1-surgery, overnight at hospital
Day 2,3,4-rest in hotel, maybe short excursions if I feel up to it(probably not)
Day 5-fly to Phuket, sleep on beach
Day 6,7-more resting on beach
Day 8-fly to Hanoi
The good thing is that my mom will be with me so she can do all the talking along with taking care of me. If it were up to me, I'd be getting this surgery done at home and resting at home but that's just not possible. I leave October 1st and am getting a little apprehensive and scared. Thank goodness my mom is coming.
It sounds like day 8 is when things start to get a little better for most people. Hopefully that will happen with me too.
Discover the Bad Breath ebook Explore the ebook ↗
ADVERTISING OPPORTUNITIES
Advertise here ↗
Your banner. Right here.
Introduce your brand to the Bad Breath Halitosis community.