Page 2 of 2
Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:20 am
by coeric
renee, thanks for sharing this information. i have always loved baking soda and how it removes odors for cleaning purposes. ive just never thought of consuming it! this is definately something i will try. if this works for me your check is in the mail lol.
i just have a couple questions though. is it 1/2 teaspoon or 1 teaspoon for 4oz of water per dose. teaspoon and not tablespoon correct? how many doses do you take a day? lastly, how well do you mix the baking soda with the water before drinking it? from what i remember it doesnt disolve well.
take care and congrats on ridding yourself of bb!
Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:30 pm
by elliott
Larc400 wrote:What was the result, Elliot?
Did it affect your gag reflex..? I had a gastroscopy done and it's the worst thing ever due to the gag reflex...
No, it's placed a bit lower than that sensitive area of the throat.
With that device... you know it's there. It feels like you swallowed a couple of needles, and they are stuck in your throat. Every time you move your throat you feel it. When you eat, with every swallow, you feel the food trying to get past the needles. Then there is the fear that the device can detach (which can happen, but is ok because it'll come out the other end.)
It's just an unpleasant 2-3 days, and I doubt the accuracy of the test. I sort of doubt the effectiveness pH monitoring in general for our particular problem, even though I went through all the testing before.
Manometry is another part of the testing if you want to do one stop BB shopping. You need a very good doctor to have it done. It tests how strong your swallowing muscles are from the throat all the way down to the stomach sphincter pressure. A tube with a vacuum is pulled all the way down. I thought I was going to die when I had this done. Of course... the tests said I was fine. It ruled out my theory that my food was completely not making it to the stomach, which led me to the conclusion that the food or gases are not
staying in the stomach. Hiatal Hernia. For this they can tighten that sphincter, and keep the stomach contents in the stomach. I am considering this, but it is invasive, and I'm not sure I want a permanent gash on my stomach... but if it comes to that.
Thought I'd share whatever I could.
Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:50 pm
by Larc400
Thanx
So did they diagnose hernia, or is that just a suspicion?
I've suspected it myself, as I quite often wake up in the middle of the night, feeling sick (like wanting to throw up, but it disappears as soon as I sit up). But I guess the gastroscopy would have shown if there was a hernia...
Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:10 pm
by Bloorain
Hi Renee,
Thanks for your response. Could you say what your odor is like? Is it the rotten egg type or the mercantile (sp?) kind, fecal or what. Is it constant…through your nose…mouth and nose? Do you have a lot of gurgling sounds coming from your stomach? I do. My stomach rumbles all the time. If you do, does the baking soda help with that. Thanks Renee.
Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:03 am
by Renee
Elliott - Alka Seltzer is baking soda w/aspirin in it.
Thanks Coeric - it is 1/2 Teaspoon to 4 oz. of water. I take it once every 24 - 36 hours. If you stir it mixes quite well.
Bloorain - I was once told it was fecal. Also it was suggested more than once that I get a colonic! I used to (a yr. ago) smell a sulfuric odor through the nose. I do have lots of stomach noise. The BS has actually caused more gas. Something I didn't realize I needed more of.
Please research the alkanize diet. And check you pH with the strips.
Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:49 am
by jc
Renee:
How long did it take before it worked for you?
Is it okay to take alongside other products?
Could I just take alka seltzer instead of the arm & hammer baking soda?
Thanks
Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:48 pm
by elliott
Larc400 wrote:Thanx
So did they diagnose hernia, or is that just a suspicion?
I've suspected it myself, as I quite often wake up in the middle of the night, feeling sick (like wanting to throw up, but it disappears as soon as I sit up). But I guess the gastroscopy would have shown if there was a hernia...
Yeah, they did actually diagnose HH, although another doctor's findings contradicted it later (go figure). I believe I have a slightly weak opening, but I admit to being afraid to get that surgery.
Did I ever mention never to eat less than 3 hours before bed. For me, that makes the biggest difference.
Renee, that's seems like a safe amount... 1/2 tsp per 4 oz. water every 24/36 hours. Don't get caught carrying the white powder around

(well..ok gotta laugh sometimes)