Page 1 of 2

inheritance halitosis

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:45 am
by fedenon
hi. I have halitosis and my sister and my mother too. Why?

anyone happens the same.

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:00 am
by Archimonde
I've never heard of a whole family having bad breath. Do you guys discuss bad breath together or is it a taboo subject?

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:55 pm
by fedenon
i know two familys more.

Not is a taboo, my mother want help me.
My father dont.

your brothers not?¿

Re: inheritance halitosis

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:20 pm
by Charley
fedenon wrote:hi. I have halitosis and my sister and my mother too. Why?

anyone happens the same.
Hey Fedenon, me and my mother both have it. But my dad or brother dont.

We've never spoken about it. I wish I knew the answer to your question!

C

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:01 pm
by XXdEaThBrEaThXX
Hi everyone!

I am new to this site. I have noticed BB can be inherited. My father, uncle and myself all have it on the male side of the family. However, all the women in the family have fresh breath.

This is a really embarrassing and devastating thing to befall anyone. Since I was a little child, people have mocked my breath. I'm always offered gum and mints with some people being rather harsh about my putrid breath.

BB has also ruined 2 relationships I had, both girls left me because they couldn't stand it anymore. I even went to the doctors and I was made to feel so embarrassed, the dentists have tried everything. They say the smell is not from the oral cavity and that I should go to see a doctor and the doctors say I should go see a dentist etc. It's a vicious circle....

Sorry for long rant. To conclude, I believe BB can be inherited.

Anyone else with other views?

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:22 pm
by guzler
yes i have 4 brothers 3 of them have bad breath except one , however my mom and dad don't have it . also it seems im the only one with severe case of bad breath .

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:38 am
by Eric
When my mother was my age (early twenties) she had tonsillitis all the time which gave her nasty breath that she said messed with her social life. I believe I'm going through the same thing, my tonsils are giving me a lot of trouble now too and when they get red, swollen, and pus-filled it seems to make my BB way worse. (hard to believe huh, lol)

I also believe that BB can be inherited almost like a gene, like our bodies are susceptible to bacterial overgrowth in the mouth and or some kind of weird food-processing issue that is metabolism related.

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:54 am
by thanatos
Are we talking occasional/situational bad breath or chronic halitosis for our family members?

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:02 am
by Eric
Are we talking occasional/situational bad breath or chronic halitosis?
I'm talking chronic for sure. Had it since the beginning of this year.

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:02 pm
by Laka
I have noticed that my dad has somewhat bb bad but his brother or his father do not. My mother does not, just the occasional like other people as well. I have the same tongue surface like my mom (not dad) but have bb kind of like my dad..

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:27 pm
by fedenon
thanatos wrote:Are we talking occasional/situational bad breath or chronic halitosis for our family members?
chronic.

My father occasional

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:36 pm
by fedenon
Eric wrote:or some kind of weird food-processing issue that is metabolism related.
i believe in that, and in second order the bacteria and conditions (less saliva, ph=acid, etc).

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:58 pm
by perrymason
Well, fedenon, if the bacteria thrive in an acidic environment, why is it that Vitamin C seems to work to some degree? I don't get that...

Isn't Vitamin C acidic?

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:04 am
by Archimonde
pervy19 wrote:Well, fedenon, if the bacteria thrive in an acidic environment, why is it that Vitamin C seems to work to some degree? I don't get that...
Who says it's our acidic PH that's causing BB? No one really knows. Just like no one can be sure that PND is the root cause, or [insert reason X here]. Fact is, we don't know jack shit.

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:13 pm
by Larc400
The oral pH is confusing to people in general. The 'Bad Breath Report' says the anaerobic BB bacteria like an acidic pH, while some other books that I have says the oral anaerobic BB bacteria like an alkaline pH, so... contradictory information. My dentist also said those bacteria prefer an alkaline environment.

All I know is that my oral pH is alkaline (saliva pH between 7.5 - 9.5) and that my BB is a problem. Introducing acidity helps, for a very short while.

Measuring your oral pH is very simple. Just get some pH strips from the pharmacy...