My Journey - Almost Over
Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:38 am
Here is a BRIEF synopsis:
Had poor oral hygiene (not nonexistent but not perfect) growing up which was my own fault.
Chewed sugarless gum all through high school to cover up my lazziness and that worked fairly well.
Had plenty of friends and g/f's who never said anything (and they would have).
The summer before my Jr. year of college I was home over the summer and my mom told me my breath smelt TERRIBLE.
I made an appt. with the dentist immediately and I did indeed have SEVERAL cavities which I got filled.
So, I realized it was time to stop being a lazy shit and start taking great care of my teeth... Which I did. I stopped chewing gum completely to get a better grasp on eliminating ever having to worry about my breath. I have since developed perfect hygiene EVERY day.
So this is when it gets weird...
After I gave up the gum chewing I started getting these awful whiffs of straight shit smell. They would be when I was by myself or around other people so I was certain the smell was from me. They would come and go in an instance. I WAS FLIPPING OUT. Also, when I was face to face with people talking I would smell a terrible smell that I was convinced was coming from me that they could smell. The whole 1st semester of my Jr. year was ruined because I developed a severe case of paranoia that I was always smelling like shit around everyone. I couldn't understand why my friends weren't saying anything. Over winter break when I was home both my parents and sister said they couldn't smell anything (I was still experiencing these shit smells). I didn't end up asking my friends until a few more months had passed (they also said I don't have an issue with bad breath). One of my friends was actually amazed that was why I had been acting so weird for the past 8 months. Still, I was constantly searching the web for what the hell this horrible smell that maybe only I could be smelling was coming from. Even after being told by my parents and sister and two best friends that I DID AND DO NOT have a halitosis problem I am still not convinced. The smells I am experiencing are real and even if I am the only one who can smell it I will find the conclusion and be rid of this hell forever.
So HERE ARE SOME ANSWERS (I'm going all out ... Luckily my pops has a good insurance plan):
Flossing 2x a day helps
Brushing 2x a day helps
ORA BRUSH TONGUE SCRAPER - does wonders
Crest NON ALCOHOLIC Mouthwash - does wonders
Sonic Toothbrush - does wonders
THERABREATH didn't work for me (pretty sure because my issues are deeper than just brushing) but is a good product
Tonsils were removed as a young kid so that's not an issue.
September 2009 - AS STATED ABOVE I had my cavities
filled. Started PERFECT oral hygiene regimen.
August 2, 2010 - tested for diabetes... nada.
August 8, 2010 - went to ENT. Didn't really do anything. I had a lot of ear wax deep in ear though because I always use q tips which actually just pushes the wax deeper into the ear... Who knew? He stuck a camera up nose and didn't really do anything... He gave me a script to get a ct scan.
August 13, 2010 - I had two "partially impacted" (lower jaw) wisdow teeth removed. I only had two. I noticed a "frutty" smell when I would rub back there with my index finger and then smell. So I was convinced this was problem as the nasal cavity and wisdom teeth are so close. Both teeth were situated back there for years partially erupted and easily could have accumulated bacterial pockets. I've notice a decrease in these "phantom" bad smells in the following two months after the surgery... However, something was still not right in my mind. My mouth and throat still felt unnaturally dirty (which there is no way it should with my oral hygiene now).
September 30, 2010 - I had an upper endoscopy... THE DOCTOR FOUND BILE (are you kidding me) in my stomach and also came across an ulcer. He took a biopsy and I have another appt. Oct. 13 to discuss the biopsy to see if H. Pylori is present. In the meantime I was perscribed Sucralfate. He also has had me begin taking "gas x," "prilocec otc," and "citrucel." The medication has for sure helped a lot with my constipation (you get the picture) and has taken away the disgusting taste and whitish tint of my tongue. So, I'm pretty sure we're on the right track here and I look forward to the biopsy results in a little over a week (I will be updating). Also, a candida infection of the throat was RULED OUT. At my follow up on the 13th I am going to ask what he thinks about a lower endoscopy also. I honestly don't care what I have to do I am going to do it.
September 31, 2010 - I went to see a periodontist. I did this on my own. My dentist said "NO WAY DO I HAVE ANY FORM OF PERIODONTAL DISEASE." Well he is a ****ing asshole. I've had gum pain above a tooth for a while and my dentist wasn't able to tell me shit about it. He just shrugged. So I went to the best peiodontist I could find and told him my issues with smell and constant concerns about my breath. He took full updated X RAYS of all my teeth and entire mouth (my original dentist didn't even take xrays of my front teeth). Also, the periodontist used the instrument for determining pockets (they aren't supposed to be any deeper than 3)... I HAVE NUMEROUS pockets of depths measuring 4-6 and one even measuring a 7. So my dentist is a dick. I am scheduled to have 2 root scaling/planning procedures done. NOV 2 AND NOV 19. I'm honestly so pissed at my dentist. Is there any way he could be liable for negligence? I'll update on those two procedures also.
October 4, 2010 - Finally had CT Scan done of sinuses. My ENT is going to see this and my periodontist wants to see this... I'll update soon.
NOTE: I MADE IT A POINT TO LET EACH DR. (I EVEN WENT TO MY GENERAL DR. FOR THE DIABETES TEST) KNOW THAT I WAS CONCERNED ABOUT MY BREATH. I LOOKED THEM STRAIGHT IN THE FACE AND ASKED IF MY BREATH SMELT. 6 DR'S ALL LOOKED ME IN THE FACE AND COULD NOT SMELL A THING OF BB THROUGHOUT OUR CONVERSATION. I SPOKE WITH MY PERIODONTIST FOR 45 MINUTES AND HE MADE IT A POINT TO SIT RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY FACE WHILE I SPOKE. HE SAID HE SMELT NOTHING. I ASKED HIM IF A DR. WOULD EVER EVER HAVE ANY REASON TO LIE. HE SAID ABSOLUTELY NOT.
Still, these phantom smells have an origin. I will figure it out (i am pretty sure that the bile reflux i have is the culprit) and get my life back. This past year has been hell. I will continue to post my findings. LET ME KNOW ANY QUESTIONS OR ANYONE WHO MAYBE HAS A SAME EXPERIENCE. At first, I thought maybe my sense of smell was altered by my years of chewing sugarless gum.
Anyways ... I'll keep the updates coming
Had poor oral hygiene (not nonexistent but not perfect) growing up which was my own fault.
Chewed sugarless gum all through high school to cover up my lazziness and that worked fairly well.
Had plenty of friends and g/f's who never said anything (and they would have).
The summer before my Jr. year of college I was home over the summer and my mom told me my breath smelt TERRIBLE.
I made an appt. with the dentist immediately and I did indeed have SEVERAL cavities which I got filled.
So, I realized it was time to stop being a lazy shit and start taking great care of my teeth... Which I did. I stopped chewing gum completely to get a better grasp on eliminating ever having to worry about my breath. I have since developed perfect hygiene EVERY day.
So this is when it gets weird...
After I gave up the gum chewing I started getting these awful whiffs of straight shit smell. They would be when I was by myself or around other people so I was certain the smell was from me. They would come and go in an instance. I WAS FLIPPING OUT. Also, when I was face to face with people talking I would smell a terrible smell that I was convinced was coming from me that they could smell. The whole 1st semester of my Jr. year was ruined because I developed a severe case of paranoia that I was always smelling like shit around everyone. I couldn't understand why my friends weren't saying anything. Over winter break when I was home both my parents and sister said they couldn't smell anything (I was still experiencing these shit smells). I didn't end up asking my friends until a few more months had passed (they also said I don't have an issue with bad breath). One of my friends was actually amazed that was why I had been acting so weird for the past 8 months. Still, I was constantly searching the web for what the hell this horrible smell that maybe only I could be smelling was coming from. Even after being told by my parents and sister and two best friends that I DID AND DO NOT have a halitosis problem I am still not convinced. The smells I am experiencing are real and even if I am the only one who can smell it I will find the conclusion and be rid of this hell forever.
So HERE ARE SOME ANSWERS (I'm going all out ... Luckily my pops has a good insurance plan):
Flossing 2x a day helps
Brushing 2x a day helps
ORA BRUSH TONGUE SCRAPER - does wonders
Crest NON ALCOHOLIC Mouthwash - does wonders
Sonic Toothbrush - does wonders
THERABREATH didn't work for me (pretty sure because my issues are deeper than just brushing) but is a good product
Tonsils were removed as a young kid so that's not an issue.
September 2009 - AS STATED ABOVE I had my cavities
filled. Started PERFECT oral hygiene regimen.
August 2, 2010 - tested for diabetes... nada.
August 8, 2010 - went to ENT. Didn't really do anything. I had a lot of ear wax deep in ear though because I always use q tips which actually just pushes the wax deeper into the ear... Who knew? He stuck a camera up nose and didn't really do anything... He gave me a script to get a ct scan.
August 13, 2010 - I had two "partially impacted" (lower jaw) wisdow teeth removed. I only had two. I noticed a "frutty" smell when I would rub back there with my index finger and then smell. So I was convinced this was problem as the nasal cavity and wisdom teeth are so close. Both teeth were situated back there for years partially erupted and easily could have accumulated bacterial pockets. I've notice a decrease in these "phantom" bad smells in the following two months after the surgery... However, something was still not right in my mind. My mouth and throat still felt unnaturally dirty (which there is no way it should with my oral hygiene now).
September 30, 2010 - I had an upper endoscopy... THE DOCTOR FOUND BILE (are you kidding me) in my stomach and also came across an ulcer. He took a biopsy and I have another appt. Oct. 13 to discuss the biopsy to see if H. Pylori is present. In the meantime I was perscribed Sucralfate. He also has had me begin taking "gas x," "prilocec otc," and "citrucel." The medication has for sure helped a lot with my constipation (you get the picture) and has taken away the disgusting taste and whitish tint of my tongue. So, I'm pretty sure we're on the right track here and I look forward to the biopsy results in a little over a week (I will be updating). Also, a candida infection of the throat was RULED OUT. At my follow up on the 13th I am going to ask what he thinks about a lower endoscopy also. I honestly don't care what I have to do I am going to do it.
September 31, 2010 - I went to see a periodontist. I did this on my own. My dentist said "NO WAY DO I HAVE ANY FORM OF PERIODONTAL DISEASE." Well he is a ****ing asshole. I've had gum pain above a tooth for a while and my dentist wasn't able to tell me shit about it. He just shrugged. So I went to the best peiodontist I could find and told him my issues with smell and constant concerns about my breath. He took full updated X RAYS of all my teeth and entire mouth (my original dentist didn't even take xrays of my front teeth). Also, the periodontist used the instrument for determining pockets (they aren't supposed to be any deeper than 3)... I HAVE NUMEROUS pockets of depths measuring 4-6 and one even measuring a 7. So my dentist is a dick. I am scheduled to have 2 root scaling/planning procedures done. NOV 2 AND NOV 19. I'm honestly so pissed at my dentist. Is there any way he could be liable for negligence? I'll update on those two procedures also.
October 4, 2010 - Finally had CT Scan done of sinuses. My ENT is going to see this and my periodontist wants to see this... I'll update soon.
NOTE: I MADE IT A POINT TO LET EACH DR. (I EVEN WENT TO MY GENERAL DR. FOR THE DIABETES TEST) KNOW THAT I WAS CONCERNED ABOUT MY BREATH. I LOOKED THEM STRAIGHT IN THE FACE AND ASKED IF MY BREATH SMELT. 6 DR'S ALL LOOKED ME IN THE FACE AND COULD NOT SMELL A THING OF BB THROUGHOUT OUR CONVERSATION. I SPOKE WITH MY PERIODONTIST FOR 45 MINUTES AND HE MADE IT A POINT TO SIT RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY FACE WHILE I SPOKE. HE SAID HE SMELT NOTHING. I ASKED HIM IF A DR. WOULD EVER EVER HAVE ANY REASON TO LIE. HE SAID ABSOLUTELY NOT.
Still, these phantom smells have an origin. I will figure it out (i am pretty sure that the bile reflux i have is the culprit) and get my life back. This past year has been hell. I will continue to post my findings. LET ME KNOW ANY QUESTIONS OR ANYONE WHO MAYBE HAS A SAME EXPERIENCE. At first, I thought maybe my sense of smell was altered by my years of chewing sugarless gum.
Anyways ... I'll keep the updates coming