Page 1 of 2
Tonsil Stones
Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:59 am
by Gooner
I never thought I would say this but im so excited I may have found the actual cause of my BB. For the first time ever a few hours ago I found a tonsil stone protruding from my left tonsil. I got it out so easily and my mouth feels so much fresher, nasal BB has decreased significantly, im breathing better through my nose. Ive had terrible nasal BB and mouth BB for about 4 weeks above and beyond normal and it has reduced so much from removing 1 tonsil stone in a space of a few hours its amazing. I know many of you will be thinking yeah yeah thats not necessarily the root cause and you may be right but im so positive about this I really think it is. Ive been so down and insular recently this really is a ray of hope in a weird sort of way. For the first time I have actually seen clear visual evidence of something that I can match to the odour I have been experiencing. It just seems to make sense.
I have coughed up 1 before but i dismissed it as a one off thinking it may be something else. Why has this suddenly been dislodged, well maybe just naturally but for 3 days ive been using contact lens cleaner as a mouthwash as i noticed it had hydrogen peroxide as an ingredient. If it cant hurst your eyes it must be harmless I figured. But anyway thats beside the point, im seeing my GP asap and am insisting on a tonsillectomy. I know some members were cured and some it made BB worse but if im honest im so close to succombing to a major breakdown because of this condition anyway i have nothing to lose.
Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:39 am
by Bbop12
Did the tonsilectomy work for your BB?
Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:14 am
by Gooner
Haha i wish it was that quick, it wil take a few months to get an operation
Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:20 pm
by mike987
I can't think of any reason a tonsillectomy should actually make your breath worse, other than a botched operation.
Unless the tonsils actually have some useful biological function (such as being a storehouse of good bacteria to replenish the flora of the mouth).
Reports on people having breath that's probably worse than before may be an exaggeration, or their breath was just getting worse over time.
Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:56 am
by Gooner
Mike - thats how I look at it too. Before yesterday I would have said I dont have tonsil stones and feel so stupid now I didn't take the time to check properly in 4 years of suffering. Ill bet there are loads of others who read this site who are exactly the same as me, seriously everyone make sure you rule this out before looking at all these extreme theories like ive been doing I am so sure about this.
Ive got an appointment with my GP next week who should refer me to an ENT. My only worry is they will want to refuse me the operation and try antibiotics but ive used many different types for various reasons over the years its a waste of time. The alternative as far as I can see if tonsil laser treatment but not sure of the success rate of that and if its a temporary fix.
Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:50 am
by mike987
Say the tonsil stones are always forming, and associate them with sore throats. Antibiotics won't kill a garbage trap in your mouth.
Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:43 am
by Gooner
Thanks, also sleep apnea is something i genuinely suffer from and i noticed the link with the tonsils so ill mention it that also.
Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:17 am
by happylife05
My TMAU test came negative. Now trying to take care of these tonsils, I cough up stones now and then. I visited ENT recently and she din't want me to get surgery just for BB sake. I insisted and finally she agreed but, i guess now my insurance is not agreeing to cover this.
How should i get this covered by insurance?
Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:22 am
by mike987
happylife05 wrote:My TMAU test came negative. Now trying to take care of these tonsils, I cough up stones now and then. I visited ENT recently and she din't want me to get surgery just for BB sake. I insisted and finally she agreed but, i guess now my insurance is not agreeing to cover this.
How should i get this covered by insurance?
Don't make it a BB issue (which insurance might consider cosmetic).
Find another ENT and say you're not sure if you've ever had tonsillitis, but you often get sore throats, maybe because your tonsils are storing those bacteria rich stones right there in your throat.
It is true that I have had less sore throats after having my tonsils out.
Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:37 pm
by lost1234
What do you believe your breath smells like? And how were you able to find a tonsil stone? Did you just go in there poking around or something?
Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:42 pm
by Gooner
From the mouth at the moment it smells like tonsil stones but that varies as well with nasal BB. Nasal BB at the moment is like baby poo, thats probably the best way to describe it but its not always been that way, it has gradually worsened.
No i didnt go poking around at all i happened to notice a stone and it came out so easy. Now, i have been poking around and my right tonsil definately has no odour or stones but the left one it absolutely awful and explains everything. It is much more crypted to feel the other is smooth. Ive tried to get more out i just cant get the technique its really frustrating but the smell is awful and its making my BB worse by messing with it.
Ive been looking at my options and aside from a full tonsillectomy which i think may be unnecessary now ive calmed down, im leaning towards laser tonsillectomy but i know the NHS here in the UK will be difficult to persuade. So im looking at options for private as im lucky to have a decent job that has allowed me to save. This is more for UK members i guess but ive found one in London that looks reputable but none near me in the north which is a shame. The one in london is LLC
www.llc.co.uk. If anyone from the UK knows anywhere else id be really grateful if you could post as its a bit of a trek for me around 4 hours drive and presumably id need to go 2 or 3 times including consultation etc so its not ideal. Im going to ring tomorrow and get an idea on cost etc but im thinking £2k ish going off the site.
Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:49 pm
by Gooner
Also for anyone checking your tonsils who hasn't before dont expect stones to come flying out, i think you will get an indication by pressing them with your finger and smelling it because the secretions will be enough to know.
Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:57 pm
by Gooner
Ok ive bit the bullet and booked a consultation for 14/02 for a laser tonsillectomy. The operation could be as soon as the same week hopefully. Im looking at this costing me £2,500 in total which doesn't sit well but if it cures me i dont care. I'll post my experiences on here at the time. I would also like to hear from anyone else who had this done im a bit in the dark here and taking a leap of faith.
Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:59 pm
by mike987
Gooner wrote:Ok ive bit the bullet and booked a consultation for 14/02 for a laser tonsillectomy. The operation could be as soon as the same week hopefully. Im looking at this costing me £2,500 in total which doesn't sit well but if it cures me i dont care. I'll post my experiences on here at the time. I would also like to hear from anyone else who had this done im a bit in the dark here and taking a leap of faith.
It probably won't cure you. If you still have BB even if you've thoroughly cleaned out your tonsils and then brushed, rinsed, etc, there's not really reason to believe your breath comes from the tonsil stones.
You'll probably be happier with them out, though.
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:02 pm
by George80
Before you get the surgery, you might want to check this device. I'm not kidding and I do not want to sell you anything (since I'm not related to that shop). Roeder was a German alternative Doctor who invented this device.
I have this tool at home and I suck off my tonsil stones from time to time. It is far more efficient than just pickin with a Q-Tip. I had a bad taste from one tonsil for years and could remove it with the roeder device.
You gently build up a vacuum on your tonsil, then pull on it very softly and then remove the stones with a Q-Tip. Repeat until no more tonsil stones come out. Mouth wash and gargle with warm saline water. You will have to figure out the procedure first and it may not be very comfortable, because the glass may tickle your uvula and cause a gag reflex.
It's not really cheap, but I would prefer I try, if I could avoid a surgery. This is the only thing that really helped me for some part during the whole time I suffer from this shit (although my problems are sinus related, but post nasal drip causes tonsil stones).
http://www.gassner-design.de/ghshop/pro ... 8db09f821b
or check this one
http://www.kastner-gmbh.de/component/pa ... /vmcchk,1/