Stuffy Nose and Thick Secretion (Post nasal drip)
Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:22 am
I was wondering if any has a similar problem as me with their nose being stuffed up (sometimes one nostril is stuffed up while the other is ok and other times both are stuffed) most of the time and thick post nasal drip?
I've went to the ent to talk about my problem and also wanting to remove my tonsils because they smell and produce those stones. He said the stones were normal and that I shouldn't remove my tonsils. He told me my nose was the main problem. I told him I have allergies possibly due to ragweed. Anyway he prescribed Nasonex and sent me for an allergy test. The test confirm that I am allergic to ragweed, and also grasses, cats, and somewhat to dust.
I find it really weird though that even being on the nasal spray and taking Reactine I still have a stuffy nose and thick pnd. Either my body is resistant to the drugs or something else is not right.
I've been thinking it may be something structural. The nose cavity is covered by a mucus membrane and has bony shelves (turbinates). Colds and allergens can cause the blood supply of the membrane to expand. The expansion leads to stuffy nose and possibly secretions. I'm thinking maybe my nasal cavity is too small to accommodate the engorged membranes. I noticed when I'm excercising or stressed out at school I can breathe through both nostrils and I don't sense thick pnd. It may be due to adrenaline acting to constrict those blood vessels in my nose.
Has anyone noticed a similar situation?
I've went to the ent to talk about my problem and also wanting to remove my tonsils because they smell and produce those stones. He said the stones were normal and that I shouldn't remove my tonsils. He told me my nose was the main problem. I told him I have allergies possibly due to ragweed. Anyway he prescribed Nasonex and sent me for an allergy test. The test confirm that I am allergic to ragweed, and also grasses, cats, and somewhat to dust.
I find it really weird though that even being on the nasal spray and taking Reactine I still have a stuffy nose and thick pnd. Either my body is resistant to the drugs or something else is not right.
I've been thinking it may be something structural. The nose cavity is covered by a mucus membrane and has bony shelves (turbinates). Colds and allergens can cause the blood supply of the membrane to expand. The expansion leads to stuffy nose and possibly secretions. I'm thinking maybe my nasal cavity is too small to accommodate the engorged membranes. I noticed when I'm excercising or stressed out at school I can breathe through both nostrils and I don't sense thick pnd. It may be due to adrenaline acting to constrict those blood vessels in my nose.
Has anyone noticed a similar situation?