Tonsillectomy scheduled on 12/21/2007
Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:39 am
I have my tonsillectomy scheduled on 12/21/2007, as well as adenoidectomy and some minor sinus surgery. 3 surgeries in 1! I am a little scared, but overall feel really excited about this surgery. I really hope this will help with my situation.
I went to an ENT doctor about 4 month ago. I've heard "I don't smell anything" from other doctors before. But this ENT doctor never said anything like that. She said, "I can understand this has caused a lot of social problem for you". I guess that just meant she can truly smell my bb. My first visit with her, she put some instrument inside my nose to look inside of it, also down my throat to look. She told me my adenoid looked 'rough' and had inflammation. My tonsil looked small. She prescribed some antibiotic for me to take, also nasal spray and some mouth rinse. She also asked me to do nasal rinse everyday. She also ordered me to do a CT scan of my sinus to see if I have any sinus problem.
The CT scan took awhile for my insurance company to approve. I finally got the CT scan done and saw my ENT doctor again last week. She asked me if any of the medicine, rinse, spray, etc. helped. Unfortunately, the answer was no. She looked at my CT scan and told me I have some blockage on top of my nose. The passage way is too narrow so there's mucus building up inside. I never knew I have sinus problem. I mean, I never have trouble breathing or anything. She then looked in my nose and throat again. Told me my adenoid and tonsil looked just as last time. She said that she wondered what was causing the inflammation. Could it be acid reflex? (I have that problem too).
She told me her suggestion at this point will be getting surgery. She suggested to have a minor sinus surgery to widen the passage way so mucus won't get built up. That could cause unpleasant smell. Also she can remove my tonsil, and smooth out my adenoid (she said it was very "bumpy" back there). She said that she can't guarentee that will cure me 100%, but hopefully it will help a lot. I told her at this point, I am willing to try ANYTHING.
I told her I would like to get it done as soon as possible. She's quite a busy doctor. She said a patient just cancelled on 12/21. I can do it on that day or wait till next year. Of course I want to get it on that day. Her nurse kept on asking me if I was sure because with Christmas and New Year coming up. She said that I won't be able to eat, probably will be hurting for about 10 days and won't be able to enjoy the holiday. I told her with this bb problem, I probably won't be able to enjoy the holiday anyway.
So the date is finally set. I can't wait to get it done. I've been reading about everybody's tonsillectomy experience and trying to prepare myself for what's coming. I really hope I will get some results. Wish me luck!
P.S. My old ID was fornarina. I lost my password so just applied for a new ID.
I went to an ENT doctor about 4 month ago. I've heard "I don't smell anything" from other doctors before. But this ENT doctor never said anything like that. She said, "I can understand this has caused a lot of social problem for you". I guess that just meant she can truly smell my bb. My first visit with her, she put some instrument inside my nose to look inside of it, also down my throat to look. She told me my adenoid looked 'rough' and had inflammation. My tonsil looked small. She prescribed some antibiotic for me to take, also nasal spray and some mouth rinse. She also asked me to do nasal rinse everyday. She also ordered me to do a CT scan of my sinus to see if I have any sinus problem.
The CT scan took awhile for my insurance company to approve. I finally got the CT scan done and saw my ENT doctor again last week. She asked me if any of the medicine, rinse, spray, etc. helped. Unfortunately, the answer was no. She looked at my CT scan and told me I have some blockage on top of my nose. The passage way is too narrow so there's mucus building up inside. I never knew I have sinus problem. I mean, I never have trouble breathing or anything. She then looked in my nose and throat again. Told me my adenoid and tonsil looked just as last time. She said that she wondered what was causing the inflammation. Could it be acid reflex? (I have that problem too).
She told me her suggestion at this point will be getting surgery. She suggested to have a minor sinus surgery to widen the passage way so mucus won't get built up. That could cause unpleasant smell. Also she can remove my tonsil, and smooth out my adenoid (she said it was very "bumpy" back there). She said that she can't guarentee that will cure me 100%, but hopefully it will help a lot. I told her at this point, I am willing to try ANYTHING.
I told her I would like to get it done as soon as possible. She's quite a busy doctor. She said a patient just cancelled on 12/21. I can do it on that day or wait till next year. Of course I want to get it on that day. Her nurse kept on asking me if I was sure because with Christmas and New Year coming up. She said that I won't be able to eat, probably will be hurting for about 10 days and won't be able to enjoy the holiday. I told her with this bb problem, I probably won't be able to enjoy the holiday anyway.
So the date is finally set. I can't wait to get it done. I've been reading about everybody's tonsillectomy experience and trying to prepare myself for what's coming. I really hope I will get some results. Wish me luck!
P.S. My old ID was fornarina. I lost my password so just applied for a new ID.