THE BAD BREATH COMMUNITY

A little more connection.
A little less alone.

Real experiences. Open conversations. A place to feel understood.

Bad Breath ebook. Top solutions from the owner of badbreathhalitosis.com for your bad breath.THE BAD BREATH EBOOK Discover the ebook ↗
POWERED BY PEOPLE LIKE YOU

Keep the conversation going.

Your donation helps cover hosting and keep this community available.

Donate to the forum ♡

I discovered another source of the smell...

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
ElGrizzle
Advanced
Posts: 171
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:51 am

Post by ElGrizzle »

Also, an update (there is one post back on the 1st page), I got the Vastra Dauhti deeper than ever before this morning. When I pulled it out, at the very end (the part that went the deepest) a brownish color of mucus was on the cloth. Very interesting. Was it something I ate? It shows that the motility of throat mucus is compromised in my condition. The cloth does not smell after when I pull it out, as the salt water I use neutralizes the odor. So far it definitely helps to remove mucus in the throat.

Also there is an interesting article I found in an ayurvedic book about asaefotida extract. It claims that the oil mixed with water will water down the phlegm and remove the bad odor of the mucus. It can also be applied to areas to discharge toxins. Have a look...

http://books.google.ca/books?id=Gp3vyt9 ... us&f=false


I am thinking that doing these cleanses for a good month, with anti-candida diet, ayurvedic herbs for fungus and immunity, also ayurvedic nasya oil specifically for malodor of the sinus/mouth, and this should take care of the problem I hope. If not, then I may see about getting the adenoids removed if we find out they are the main cause of the problem.
halitosisux
Moderator
Posts: 3266
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm

Post by halitosisux »

ElGrizzle I know what I'd do in your position, i'd get your ENT by the EARS-NOSE-AND-THROAT and DEMAND to know why he cant diagnose anything when the simple measures you are taking with irrigations and gauzes etc are having these profound results and effects. Im CERTAIN that its only a matter of time for you until you discover where this is all coming from and one way or another you'll get there. Its so encouraging reading your story at the moment, the effort you put in and the sheer courage to try all these scary things in the hope of discovering for yourself.

Im not totally sure what's involved with the gauze procedure you are trying, but if you are passing that down your esophagus could the coloured mucousy stuff be bile or other stomach secretions?

The fact that this and certain mucus you find doesnt smell bad is actually encouraging because it means the smell could be coming from an actual area like your adenoids for example.

Also, and you may not like this, but say for instance if you had an immune problem which is causing submucosal infections in your nasopharynx, wouldnt you also tend to suffer with visible signs of candida in your mouth and throat too? As far as I know you've never mentioned this and if that's correct then i'd be encouraged by this fact.
popaloo
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:31 pm

Post by popaloo »

I have had my tonsils and adenoids removed and i have a terrible time with thick mucous in my sinuses and throat, pnd.
My sinuses are clear as i have had x-rays on them. I have tried 3/4 types of sprays from the doctor, anti-histamines and have not had any luck with the neti-pot.
I produce thick clear mucous almost continuously. I read that the bacteria that produce the volatile sulphur compounds feed off the mucous so hence more mucous, more smell.
I have got to the point of just trying to accept things as they are.
halitosisux
Moderator
Posts: 3266
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm

Post by halitosisux »

Popaloo, I also have lots of odourless, clear and quite thick PND but I dont have BB. I've got a deviated nasal septum and I could hardly breathe through my nose until I grew up and things opened up enough.

I'm certain that such PND in excessive amounts might exacerbate a person's BB, but I think that if such clear PND itself was a cause of BB then everyone would have BB, because every person swallows something like a litre a day of mucus that runs down from the nasopharynx. I realise that thickened mucus would be stickier and perhaps cling on to the tongue better, but when there's normally so much mucus constantly bathing everyone's throat, I honestly dont think this itself is the cause.

Odourous mucus is another matter altogether, and very likely to be a cause of halitosis itself if its constantly bathing the very absorbant surface of the tongue.
User avatar
Archimonde
Super Angel
Posts: 878
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:14 pm

Post by Archimonde »

Yeah, for the longest time i thought PND was the cause of BB.. until i started reading the medhelp website. There are LOTS of people with serious PND, mucus in throat, stuffed nostrils, etc who don't have BB. When they list their symptoms, they never mention BB.. and if you suffer from BB, it will be at the top of your list of symptoms.

halitosisux wrote:I'm certain that such PND in excessive amounts might exacerbate a person's BB
I'm not even sure of that 'cause when i have a cold and produce even more mucus than usual, my breath seems less severe. Our body produces mucus to rid itself of something, right? What if we have PND because of BB, and not the other way around? Well, PND wouldn't be directly caused by BB, rather it'd be caused by what's causing BB (say, fungi). And those people on medhelp with PND but fresh breath, they could have PND because of something that doesn't give off a foul odor (say a viral infection).
halitosisux
Moderator
Posts: 3266
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm

Post by halitosisux »

Arch, I agree with you there and understand your point about increased PND not making any difference, but also when I had colds I also felt like my BB reduced but I think that's just an illusion. When u get a cold dont forget your sense of smell is impaired, which also means your sense of taste is too and both of these combined is what we "feel" as bad breath.

Also, PND might be a symptom of having BB as you said, like a reaction of the membranes to the chemicals and toxins produced by microbial processes or due to the imbalances that diseases might cause, such as disturbed oral flora.

And yep something like a deviated septum can cause a lot of PND but because there is no disease process it doesnt cause BB. So that's proof in itself because people with deviated septum (myself) who have clear odourless PND dont have BB.
elliott
God
Posts: 791
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:51 pm

Post by elliott »

ElGrizzle wrote:Yes, Im definitely considering the adenoids. That, or a submucosal fungal infection, and a poor immune system not able to get rid of it, and that could very well affect the adenoids which could be constantly producing mucus. Im looking for some ayurveda on the adenoids, but most of it always relates to the tonsils. My tonsils are not inflamed, and one time I was able to push out a very tiny tonsil stone that did not smell. And numerous times Ive tried to push things out as a possible cause of BB, but nothing comes out.

I noticed, that when I eat, I can smell the nasal fart. Also when I change position I can smell it. I eat anti-candida too. So its like when the food is going down my throat, it is somehow making the smell for me more noticeable by pushing something upward. Why do you guys think this is???

Also when I rinse my sinus, I can smell like a manure type of smell, just a hint, and it is constant wherever I go. Im thinking that people can smell this coming out my nose, but a lot stronger. Perhaps I have many flip turn sinus rinses to go, combined with anti-candida, and immunity support.
Yeah, I've felt that for ages. When I swallow, mainly if I'm thirsty or otherwise feel a 'thick' throat, the so-called "gasseous odour" from the throat quickly emanates from the sinus. When we swallow, generally our mouth is closed, so I've always suspected that it isn't necessarily a nasal issue. Now I realize what you mean by "nasal fart". Not a good term IMO :)

Not only when you swallow, but simply tilting the neck forward can occasionally cause that odor.

I also relate to the sticky fungal odor that lines the nasal passage. I don't know whether that is just buildup from mucosal fungi, and/or it is exhaled, or how strong. The Grossan temporarily helps with that.

Since we have very similar symptoms, have you noticed anything funky from your ears? It's a slightly similar odour to the nasal 'waste' but slightly a more foul, rawer, damp fungal smell. Occasionally, I'll use a qtip and it'll come out slightly damp, and smells pretty bad.

Everytime I've seen ENTs, everything has been ruled out, any sight of tonsils seems to be too small to take out, and there aren't any tonsiloth traps. It seems to me that the ENT does not have all the answers. Something is feeding that throat area, diet seems to affect it for better or worse, no one really knows. It is that particular area that I personally feel the mucous generate and the fact that it's stuck there must indicate disfunction... but the docs aren't able to see or test for it.
ElGrizzle
Advanced
Posts: 171
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:51 am

Post by ElGrizzle »

Well Elliot, I have noticed that my ears itch quite a bit. The smell does kind of smell like sharp cheddar, but isn't that normal for ear wax?

Hali, yea I my throat is soar in the morning at the current moment. I have had white coating on the tongue, but at the current moment it is quite minimal.

BTW, I just went to my ENT today, he did endoscopy of the sinus and found nothing. He is taking a CT scan to see about the headache that is usually there above my right eye to possibly rule out a tumor or anything that he could not see. Seems kind of unlikely to me, but I will trust this. If there is nothing I will ask for a culture of the sinus (which I forgot to do).
halitosisux
Moderator
Posts: 3266
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm

Post by halitosisux »

ElGrizzle did your ENT look at your adenoids?
ElGrizzle
Advanced
Posts: 171
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:51 am

Post by ElGrizzle »

Im not sure Hali, he looked up into the sinus, and back into the sinus. But he did not look into my mouth or down the throat.
I kind of let him take control... If he doesn't find anything in the CT, then I will ask him to look into the throat, and take cultures of a few different areas. I wanted to take cultures then, but it didn't seem like he was open to the idea.
ElGrizzle
Advanced
Posts: 171
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:51 am

Post by ElGrizzle »

Well maybe I wont get a culture....

http://www.medkb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/sin ... -infection
elliott
God
Posts: 791
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:51 pm

Post by elliott »

ElGrizzle wrote:Well Elliot, I have noticed that my ears itch quite a bit. The smell does kind of smell like sharp cheddar, but isn't that normal for ear wax?

Hali, yea I my throat is soar in the morning at the current moment. I have had white coating on the tongue, but at the current moment it is quite minimal.

BTW, I just went to my ENT today, he did endoscopy of the sinus and found nothing. He is taking a CT scan to see about the headache that is usually there above my right eye to possibly rule out a tumor or anything that he could not see. Seems kind of unlikely to me, but I will trust this. If there is nothing I will ask for a culture of the sinus (which I forgot to do).
My ears itch occasionally, as do my nasal passages. The odour is a slight cheese odour, but it is concentrated compared to the smell of a health person. It smells like it's in the family of the other odour I produce, if that makes sense.

I bought some anti fungal formula, just because i happened to be in a health food store. It's serious business. It has Walnut hulls, Pau D'Arco, Dandelion root, Condurango, Goldendeal, Oregano, and a slew of other herbs in a bse of organic grain alcohol. It's very strong. I plan to drink in every time I have water.

Sounds like you have a decent and curious ENT. Take advantage of it, while you can. At that point mine would have referred me to a psychologist. That seems to be their favorite line for me.
meowkity1
God
Posts: 799
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:33 pm

Post by meowkity1 »

My ears itch Alot also.more intense in the past 5 years, I know this because thats when I trated buying packs of hair baobby pins, just to scratch at my ears
halitosisux
Moderator
Posts: 3266
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:29 pm

Post by halitosisux »

sometimes my ears itch and i remember once going to the doctor about 10 years ago, cant remember what for but he looked in my ears and his face looked alarmed and said i had otitits media but yet i had no idea anything was wrong. My eustachian tubes never felt like they were doing their normal job. This might be a symptom of having BB. I have had tinitus over the years in one ear but its never occured to me yet that for the past year its not been happening - it used to come in waves so that's why i never paid any notice until now. Whenever i had colds my ears would get affected, probably because of the pre-existing condition.

One thing i learned quite recently as a remedy for itchy ears is to dab a cotton bud in some olive oil and gently coat the canals with oil.. INSTANT and lasting relief for me.
ElGrizzle
Advanced
Posts: 171
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:51 am

Post by ElGrizzle »

Do you guys itch anywhere else? Do you also have acne anywhere, or any redness to the skin?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
Bad Breath ebook. Top solutions from the owner of badbreathhalitosis.com for your bad breath.Discover the Bad Breath ebook Explore the ebook ↗
A LITTLE SUPPORT IN YOUR INBOX

Let’s stay
connected.

Sign up for free bad breath tips by email.

ADVERTISING OPPORTUNITIES

Your banner. Right here.

Introduce your brand to the Bad Breath Halitosis community.

Advertise here ↗